longhorn cows

Help Support CattleToday:

LibraryLady

Reaction score
I'm a librarian in Northwest Missouri. One of our patrons has 55 bred longhorn cows. All good milkers and great moms. But he is having trouble finding a market for them. Unfortunately we don't have any materials here at the library to help him, so I thought I'd post a message with the experts. Any suggestions??

Contact the TLBAA Texas Longhorn Breeders of America in Fort Worth Texas, http://www.tlbaa.org they have brochures and their website is great. They have aplace on their that list how to contact breeders in your area. Our Tennessee Valley Longhorn Breeders Association would also be happy to help just let us know.

LibraryLady":1amlw77r said:
I'm a librarian in Northwest Missouri. One of our patrons has 55 bred longhorn cows. All good milkers and great moms. But he is having trouble finding a market for them. Unfortunately we don't have any materials here at the library to help him, so I thought I'd post a message with the experts. Any suggestions??

The Tx Longhorn Breeders Assn. hold several sales throughout the year at West Auction Inc (http://www.westauction.us). in West TX. This is 75 miles south of Ft Worth/Dallas in I-35. Check with TLBA or West Auction for upcoming dates.

Regards

Brock

LibraryLady":1zm1ol41 said:
I belive these cows are not registered. Can he still sell at the West Auction?

yes. After the registered cattle are sold commercial longhorns are then sold.

West, TX is a pretty long haul from NW Missouri. On April 29, 2006 the TLBAA will be hosting a sale in Tulsa, OK that is the same thing as the sales in West. If he calls the TLBAA office they can give him all the needed info in regards to the sale.

Ryan

Also contact the International Texas Longhorn Association (ITLA) They also have website.

If the Longhorns are NOT registered stock, then the best bet to sell is to a commercial rancher who wants some Longhorn blood in his calves. Otherwise, can sell them at one's local sale barn (but you will get docked some for the horns and any spotted/patterned coloring).

The "Best of the West Sale" is generally the place to BUY and not to SELL. IMO the sales prices are rather low for most of the Longhorns sold there. After you deduct your travel expenses, consignment fees, etc., you're sometimes better off dollarwise to just take them to a local sale barn. :( Incidentally, the "Best of the West" is a little misleading, since the prices and some of the stock sold there are not "The Best."

This may be a little off topic, but I always wondered how to get a longhorn in a head gate to worm, give shots etc....I know you could just rope them, seems a little rough though...?

Case IH":3qkwx032 said:
This may be a little off topic, but I always wondered how to get a longhorn in a head gate to worm, give shots etc....I know you could just rope them, seems a little rough though...?

For cattle in the 20" horn length range, we can run them in a normal headgate. But for mature cattle with bigger horn lengths, we use a medina hinge concept. See thread below.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14175&highlight=medina

All the longhorns I've got know how to work their way thru an alley way, but the trick is catching them as they work through the head gate. I am using a self catch head gate manually.

I would load everyone of them up and drop them off at the local salebarn take all the money and buy some good cattle.We sell beef not horn's.The way I see it if you raise poor cattle you should get poor prices.....These type of cattle are a novelty so unless you can sucker a sucker you get what they are really worth which is not much.Maybe he should lease out the cattle for team roping..we have a guy here that does that he gets $200 a head for a summer's lease and you feed them he takes em back in the fall.

DD RANCH":12700vra said:
The way I see it if you raise poor cattle you should get poor prices.....These type of cattle are a novelty so unless you can sucker a sucker you get what they are really worth which is not much.

I agree, poor cattle should get poor prices. I know everyone has their opinion, but just because they are Longhorns does not mean they are 'poor' cattle. I have seen poor cattle in many breeds, Angus, Charolais, Hereford, and Longhorn, etc.

Longhorns can serve many purposes: crossbreeding, lean meat, ropers, riding steers, etc.

TXBobcat":c0zwngd1 said:
DD RANCH":c0zwngd1 said:
The way I see it if you raise poor cattle you should get poor prices.....These type of cattle are a novelty so unless you can sucker a sucker you get what they are really worth which is not much.

I agree, poor cattle should get poor prices. I know everyone has their opinion, but just because they are Longhorns does not mean they are 'poor' cattle. I have seen poor cattle in many breeds, Angus, Charolais, Hereford, and Longhorn, etc.

Longhorns can serve many purposes: crossbreeding, lean meat, ropers, riding steers, etc.

Thanks TXBobcat.

Poor cattle are poor cattle and should get poor prices. Just b/c most people think ALL Longhorns are poor cattle definantly does not mean they are. There are lots of High Quality Texas Longhorns around that would surprise some people if they took the time to look.

Ryan

The people that are still stuck in the "pre-1950's" way of thinking have possibly not taken the time to look at the many present-day websites of Longhorn Ranchers who are producing heavy-bodied Longhorns! ANY bovine that was tossed out on an open range to fend for itself (regardless of breed) would probably look skinny, rangy, and BCS or 2 or 3.

Agree...any POOR condition animal should bring low prices.

The cattle industry is a highly competive, "my breed is best" mentality and the "died in the wool" cattlepeople that refuse to recognize the merit of ANY breed that is not the same as THEIRS...well...this type of primmadonna attitude only communicates where the person is coming from and/or what they are made of...

Even though OUR ranch operation is raising Longhorns, there is no way that I would run down another breed or another rancher's operation. Everyone has their own program. We can learn "something" from everyone's program. Every breed of cattle (or other livestock) have their place on the market, climate, geographical area, country, food chain, etc.

Our cattle market would indeed be in sad shape if from day one only ONE breed (or color) had been propagated and the others sterilized and left to extinction via natural selection and lack of replacement offspring. Every cattle breed has contributed something to the quality of livestock we enjoy today...it has taken hundreds of years to get where we are. It would be boring indeed to only have one breed (or race) of any animal (two or four-legged) in the world...

Off my soapbox now...LOL!

LibraryLady":3p4y6suk said:

In the December issue of ITLA's Drover there is a listing of the "MO KAN" sale to be held in Passaic, MO, (30 miles of Kansas City on Hwy 71) on March 11, 2006. This sale will offer: Commercial Longhorns, Roping Stock, Registered Longhorns, Longhorn Crosses, and Longhorn Novelties. You may contact the ITLA office at: [email protected] or go to their website: http://www.itla.com for more information.

NOTE: Consignments to the MO KAN sale are due by January 15, 2006! Consignment fee is $30 per lot + all the usual health papers, etc.

I agree with Bill but if you want a decent price in Missouri
you better be willing to spend some money on fuel....

Load'em up and haul'em to Texas.

hillbilly

hillbilly":1e6w84dw said:
I agree with Bill but if you want a decent price in Missouri
you better be willing to spend some money on fuel....

Load'em up and haul'em to Texas.

hillbilly

lol... not sure if he could make up that much fuel cost hauling 'em all the way to Texas.

hillbilly":6f4mstxj said:
I guess you could have an old time cattle drive....
Be sure to bring the fence cutters.

Hillbilly

Thats a good idea. Maybe along the way he can make some money by stopping close to towns and charging admission to people and let them walk around and see the herd.

Ryan

Latest posts