Longhorn/Charolais prs.

Help Support CattleToday:

Wild Cattle

Reaction score
I got some pics today of some calves we worked last saturday. This cross works well in this country.

July808024.jpg

July808028.jpg

July808031.jpg

July808036.jpg

July808043-1.jpg

July808044-1.jpg

July808045-1.jpg

July808046-1.jpg

July808018.jpg

June1208004.jpg

These are really nice calves from mothers who care more for the calf than about their own shape! Imagine if the calves were out of a blonde bull; then they would be even better!

you got you a nice set of calf raisers .an those char cross calves are as big as their mommas.

Wild Cattle
I only run a 8 or 9 longhorns and we currently have a Brangus Bull on them. We have one calf so far from the Brangus and she looks pretty good. I have a Char. bull on some of my cows and I am very hapy with his calves. After seeing your pics I might try the Char. Bull on the Longhorns next year.

I got my a** ate out on here a couple months ago when I brought up the subject of doing crosses like this.

Those are good looking calves. Will you be able to find out how they feed?

Where are you located? Thats some good looking grass.

Brisco county, Bill. BW would be about 65lbs I would guess. No calving problems at all, Those girls break their water, check for predators, lay down and have their calf, in about 5 min both are up and on the go.

Good looking calves.
That Charolais bull (homozygous polled?) knocked the horns off, removed the spots for the most part, and put some muscle on those calves.
Congrats, looks like a successful operation.

T-Bro":fa7tg99o said:
Good looking calves.
That Charolais bull (homozygous polled?) knocked the horns off, removed the spots for the most part, and put some muscle on those calves.
Congrats, looks like a successful operation.
You can still get horns on a longhorn and angus cross, my uncle has a 25 long horn cattle and runs a angus bull on then, 75% of the calves have 6 inch horns on each side when they are a year old. Just thought I would mention that.

I know couple different people been doing that cross and red limi cross. The older the calves get the more they will show the longhorn they just pull the calves a little early. They do pretty good with them.

charangusman wrote:
You can still get horns on a longhorn and angus cross, my uncle has a 25 long horn cattle and runs a angus bull on then, 75% of the calves have 6 inch horns on each side when they are a year old.

Methinks there is something other than angus in that angus bull your uncle is using.
Everything I've read, learned, and experienced (not that I'm some all-knowing cowman), a homozygous polled bull will only throw calves that are polled. No matter what cow he breeds.
Never heard of a half-angus horned calf.

Maybe someone smarter than me about this stuff (like Doc) can clear this up.
I am always open to gaining new knowledge.

Those calves are 90% horned. It takes me about 5 sec. to de-horn as they are worked, the horns are a none issue to me. I really dont know why horns are such an issue for producers, unless they just dont work their calves.

Paul T

Never seen anybody use a angus bull on longhorns, i am sure it has been done just don't think you would get the results a Char or Limi would.

Wild Cattle":33mhgnq1 said:
Brisco county, Bill. BW would be about 65lbs I would guess. No calving problems at all, Those girls break their water, check for predators, lay down and have their calf, in about 5 min both are up and on the go.

OK that's great! Nice low BW calves. Look like rapid gainers!

You're just a "hop, skip, and a jump" from us here in Collingsworth County. Would be great to have you drop over and visit and see our herd.

Bill

Latest posts