Longhorn/Angus Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

That's what I'm preaching-the crossbred calves will pay for the cows and all you have to do is breed them back and let them keep making money for you. I've seen it happen too many times. It's a win-win situation.

We have a local cattleman that has about 25 longhorn cows, 12 papered 13 non papered (bought at our local sale barn). He has an angus and or a charlois bull on them. He says he a makes more off his crossbreds then he did off of his straight or beefy mixes as most call them.

A lot of the breeders will sell the already slaughtered and packaged. That takes a lot off of them especially if you have the storage roomand they don't. Could be a new way to market? Look and research.

Rustler tell them about when you took hamburger to the slaughter house and the angus was there.

I have a few longhorn cows and have been breeding them to Hereford and Angus bulls. I run them as yearling and then grain for 90 days they usuall weigh 1200 pounds, slaughter and sell halves and quarters. They have all graded choice and I have people waiting in line to buy them. Just wish I could find more pasture so I could run some more.

Bobg

The steer that we have in the freezer now, I guess we butchered him about three months ago. He weighed in at 922 lbs. and we brought back 569 lbs. of meat. The processor said he was amazed how well he was marbled and that there was very little waste. There were 12 or 13 Angus steers brought in the same day as our steer, they weighed anywhere from 1100 to 1200 lbs each. The butcher told me that they didn't yield any more meat than our Longhorn cross steer because there was so much fat on them that he had to trim off and discard. Our steer was 3/4 longhorn, 1/8 Beefmaster and 1/8 Beefalo. We've already got two more picked out for next year. The beef is excellent and it is tender. Of course we never cook our steaks any more than medium.

KANSAS in our country a longhorn cross is going to be picked off and discounted hard. The horns are worth more than the animal 90% of the time. We've got a neighbor who feeds out longhorns and longhorn crosses and they do not perform well in the feedlot, they gain poorly and don't muscle out well. Some he's had for 3 years and they still aren't "finished"

I sold a 6 yr old longhorn cow with an angus/longhorn calf and not bred back for $750 2 yrs ago when cows were cheaper. Man was glad to get her and I was glad with the money I made on her. She was an easy keeper but she jumped EVERYTHING and horned all of our herefords and angus.

Jake":3b5i29at said:
KANSAS in our country a longhorn cross is going to be picked off and discounted hard. The horns are worth more than the animal 90% of the time. We've got a neighbor who feeds out longhorns and longhorn crosses and they do not perform well in the feedlot, they gain poorly and don't muscle out well. Some he's had for 3 years and they still aren't "finished"

What is he trying to finish em with? I cant think of any breed if a man couldnt finish a steer in three years it would be on him.
Heck we finish dairy steers quicker than that.
Sounds like a guy that needs and education or is getting one.

MD

Bobg":21w9v0ru said:
I have a few longhorn cows and have been breeding them to Hereford and Angus bulls. I run them as yearling and then grain for 90 days they usuall weigh 1200 pounds, slaughter and sell halves and quarters. They have all graded choice and I have people waiting in line to buy them. Just wish I could find more pasture so I could run some more.

Bobg

Just shows what a good Angus or Hereford bull can do .

Rustler9":21wrerfe said:
He weighed in at 922 lbs. and we brought back 569 lbs. of meat.

Thats good to bring home almost 62% of live weight.
Would you mind telling what his hanging weight was and how long did you let him hang?

redfornow":11jrc1ov said:
What is he trying to finish em with? I cant think of any breed if a man couldnt finish a steer in three years it would be on him.

MD

there are 2 steer's he's got that have been through 3 sets of cattle, most take only a tad longer than "normal" cattle but he's run into quite a few knotheads who don't work out.

Jake":uanfutlq said:
redfornow":uanfutlq said:

MD

there are 2 steer's he's got that have been through 3 sets of cattle, most take only a tad longer than "normal" cattle but he's run into quite a few knotheads who don't work out.

Jake that makes no sense at all too me. If a steer doesn't finish with his set of cattle, it would seem to me that it would be better to just accept your loss. Sell him as a cull either on the rail and risk the utility grade or sell him with the cull cows for burger meat. Pouring feed into one month after month hoping for a different result seems like the road to the poor house. IF all the thing ate was his maintenance needs, 8lb/day x 365 days , you would be putting a ton and a half of feed through his bowells in a year's time and I bet he eats twice that and most of it goes straight through him. I can see keeping some lite calves an extra month or two; but beyond that your just pouring good money after bad.

Brandonm2":1iwvs6av said:
Jake that makes no sense at all too me. If a steer doesn't finish with his set of cattle, it would seem to me that it would be better to just accept your loss. Sell him as a cull either on the rail and risk the utility grade or sell him with the cull cows for burger meat. Pouring feed into one month after month hoping for a different result seems like the road to the poor house. IF all the thing ate was his maintenance needs, 8lb/day x 365 days , you would be putting a ton and a half of feed through his bowells in a year's time and I bet he eats twice that and most of it goes straight through him. I can see keeping some lite calves an extra month or two; but beyond that your just pouring good money after bad.

not sayin it makes sense to me either... just know what we see day to day driving by.

Here is our Charlois and Longhorn cross. We took her off mom 2 weeks ago at 4 months old. She is doing very well.

She is 3 months here. THis was on August 10th.
Hersheyat3months.jpg

Mom & Daughter
HerseyandMom-1.jpg

We just had one born yesterday but I don't know how to put a pic on here
I think new members may have a short waiting period before they can use all functions of the website.

Otherwise, if 'attach files' button shows up below your reply box, click on it, find the picture you want on your phone gallery or hard drive, select it and then choose whether you want to post the full picture or a thumbnail.
You can also select from a hosting site such as postimgage if your photos are stored there..

attach files.jpg

Latest posts