Longhorn/Angus Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
A guy wants to sell me ten 3yr/old longhorn cows with angus/longhorn calves at their side, and bred back to an angus bull. What would these be worth?

KANSAS":19qm847v said:
Someone has to have an idea..

They're worth what someone is willing to pay for them. It's hard to say without seeing the animals or knowing your local market. Take a trip to your local sale barn and see what similar animals are selling for there. Buying directly from the owner is worth something, too. IMO, if you're planning on selling beef calves at the sale barn or special sales, you'll probably be better off buying a recognized beef cattle breed instead of longhorns. You probably can buy them cheaper, but you may take a hit on every calf. At least that's what happens in my area. Good luck...

Hard to say for sure without seeing the animals. If they are bred back, the calves must weigh 300 lbs, more or less and be worth 1.50 per pound so that is 450 dollars on the calves. The 3 year old first period longhorns will be worth 450 each. So if they are good, calf raising cows, the pairs will split out to 900 dollars each. If you can buy them for 750-800 per pair, I would buy them. The cows will need to be bred to a Charlois bull to get the best growing and selling calves from them. I have bought a lot of cheap longhorn cows and they make great mothers and raise good selling charlois cross calves and they are not picky eaters. If the cows are small and do not give enough milk, the cows are worth 350 and the calves 350, so 700 dollars is enough for them and you dont want them if they are that type. How much is the guy asking for the pairs?

Sorry I dont have pictures...

What would happen if you bred the longhorn cows to a "double muscled" bull. Everyone recommends a charolais, just curious if anyone in CattleForum has crossed with say a Piedmontese?

Curious what the calves would be like.

Stocky's about right as far as the prices for them. As I've said in earlier posts breed them to Charolais and you can't help but make money on them. As far as Angus/Longhorn crosses, I've seen them that looked just like an Angus, solid black, no horns and then I've seen them with linebacks or spots and horns. If the calves are solid black you'll make money on them just like with the Charolais crosses. If they have spots they will dock you just because it's a legal way to steal your calves and get away with it. I don't care how much folks on here bash Longhorns, they cross well and the crosses do well in a feed lot. People just don't know enough about them to get past the fact that they have horns and spots. And yes, I always have a comment to make about them but don't always have time to get on here at any given time of the day.

i don't bash breeds . but why make a cross like this.if i were raising longhorns i would breed to a good long horn bull. other wise i would go with more popular beef breed not trying to cover up the short comings by using a different breed cause you can bet the buyers know the difference no matter what. you wont be fooling anyone

I am not trying to fool anyone. I just cant find a breed that is easier to take care of than a longhorn. Just want to put a little meat on their bones.

I dont have the time to properly manage a registered herd.

local vet has longhorns and says he wouldn't have anything else, we have polled herefords mostly, a few red angus/charlois mix. The vet says the longhorns will put on lean meat before they marble and that's why he likes them..I like you would be curious about a cross with something else. I'm just not fond of the horns.

By crossing the Longhorn with another beef breed you get more lean meat efficiently. I think in some cases the buyers are fooled or they must like the crosses if they do know the difference. We've sold Longhorn crosses that were black for $1.20 per pound, same price as other black calves that day at the sale barn. So what does that mean? They did know the difference but liked them, they didn't know the difference and thought they were some other type of black cattle that could classify as CAB? Who knows? Still, they cross well with other beef breeds, there's just alot of folks who either don't know or won't admit it. A Longhorn cow can raise more pounds of beef at less cost.

I am eatting a Longhorn/ angus cross steer now and it is some of the best beef I ever raised. lean and flaverful. he was a little lighter than I had hoped, but worth the time to raise and bucther.

If you want to know how good Longhorns are just retain ownership through the feed lot.

Don;t really mind the horns, that can be taken care of easily enough, don;t mind the spots. It's the poor muscleling that bothers me. Might as well raise dairy cattle for beef. Even what are considered well muscled longhorns leave a lot to be desired. There are alwasy a few that will muscle enough to avoid a dock, but not consistantly enough for my taste.

dun

I thought we were discussing Longhorns as being used in a cross breeding program. I will agree that a straight Longhorn won't muscle as well as other beef breeds and they generally take longer to mature. But, put a beef bull on the Longhorn cows or use the Longhorn bull on beef heifers and they do much better than folks give them credit.

Kansas, if you can get them at a decent price I think you'll be happy with what they can do for you.

If you want to know how good Longhorns or Longhorn X Angus are just retain ownership through the feed lot.

la4angus":1tfoepgz said:
If you want to know how good Longhorns or Longhorn X Angus are just retain ownership through the feed lot.

I think we would be amazed at the improvement in the nation's cowherd if we ALL had to retain ownership through the feedlots!

i would go with more popular beef breed not trying to cover up the short comings by using a different breed cause you can bet the buyers know the difference no matter what. you wont be fooling anyone

I have seen Longhorn females crossed with Charolais, Black Limousin and Angus bulls. There was no way on earth by looking at most of them that you could tell they had any Longhorn traits.

I had a neighbor tell me last week that a few months ago he bought a herd of Longhorn pairs in Tennessee at a stockyard that had small calves on them sired by an Angus bull. He paid $565 avg. per pair at the sale. He sold the calves last week here locally and averaged $502 after commission. Sounds like a money making deal to me at present time.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Latest posts