Longhorn 3n1's

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herefords.US":2ly23dwk said:
Edited to add: My cows aren't pampered. I did manage to get around to see them all today. I had a brand new bull calf from a first calf heifer who was in a 200+ acre pasture and I have 12 cows on a lease located in another county and today was the first time I had seen them in over 3 weeks. I have 2 new calves up there that I hadn't seen before today.

It's not the best of situations, but other opportunities and obligations have temporarily taken precedence.

I see mine and the ones in my care everyday. I have a full time job outside of this one.

As hard as it is to believe, you must have a friend that looks after them or you are paying somebody?

Herefords.US":3r4pt5jm said:
Wewild":3r4pt5jm said:
I see mine and the ones in my care everyday. I have a full time job outside of this one.

Good for you!

I don't consider it a choice. I consider it a necessary to do the job right.

By your own admission you don't seem to be doing much for them.

Who looks after them while your in the city?

I may be wrong. I doubt it.

Wewild":1jmzmw55 said:

Hmmm...my cows seem to be able to find grass to eat and water to drink on their own accord.

The bulls seem to know just what to do when the time is right!

If your cows/bulls can't do this, maybe YOU should consider another breed!

George

Herefords.US":ngqupjm7 said:
Wewild":ngqupjm7 said:

Hmmm...my cows seem to be able to find grass to eat and water to drink on their own accord.

The bulls seem to know just what to do when the time is right!

If your cows/bulls can't do this, maybe YOU should consider another breed!

George

That is weak.

So you have a ranch manger or is that the way things are done in Texas?

Wewild":373fy0dx said:
That is weak.

In direct answer to your question, I have NO ONE working for/with me in relation to my cattle.

As far as your opinion, I bet some of these ranchers that run cattle in the Western States on large BLM spreads are laughing their arses off at the thought that you think they should be out there every day, holding their cattle's hands.

Your ignorance is astounding! Talk about "weak"!

Geez!

George

I tried keeping about 40 cows 92 miles from the house. I had too many incidents of fences getting cut, cows getting stampeded, etc. We have WAAAAYYY too many poachers, vandals, met heads, etc to NOT live on the property. I was seeing the cows 5-6 times a week and was still having problems. I am glad that this works for George. In Alabama, that would NOT work at all.

Herefords.US":3qsma75g said:
Wewild":3qsma75g said:
That is weak.

In direct answer to your question, I have NO ONE working for/with me in relation to my cattle.

As far as your opinion, I bet some of these ranchers that run cattle in the Western States on large BLM spreads are laughing their arses off at the thought that you think they should be out there every day, holding their cattle's hands.

Geez!

George

You are welcome to your opinion as to my intelligence.

You make me proud I'm not you. Thanks.

Maybe that is the way it is in the city. It isn't the way we do it.

I must raise some sorry cattle to have to go by and check them each day. I may have to reconsider if my diligence saves me money.

You must have a 100% birth rate if you calve and sold with no birthing problems at all or problems there after.

Got to go to Church right now. I'll see you later I'm sure. Don't run away.

Herefords.US":24q06jn7 said:
Geez!
George

I think you have as much credibility as your website. If your herd or your business isn't worth keeping the website up, with all your purported knowledge - and all your excuses - maybe you are just a li .

Edit - Oops I mean fibber.

ALX.":3v46lkl0 said:
I think you have as much credibility as your website. If your herd or your business isn't worth keeping the website up, with all your purported knowledge - and all your excuses - maybe you are just a liar.

To borrow a quote from Knersie:

Believe what you want, mate! No skin off my nose!

Wewild,

From the way I read what George said, he resides at the ranch all but a few days of the week. His wife resides in the Dallas suburb and comes to the ranch on the weekends.

As for driving 130 miles oneway per day...believe it or not, there are people from this area that do that. High wages and high salaries aren't to be found in the county that George resides in...I know because Van and I reside in the same county (Van works in a different county which is a 100 mile roundtrip drive).

Anyway, It's not that unusual for people to drive into the DFW metroplex from here to work. As a side note to that, many of them carpool.

Alice

We see our cows every day, too. But we're probably a minority around here. Some people around here choose this time of year to take vacations if they're taking them. Or they're too busy cutting and hauling hay to check on them daily. The cows aren't calving or breeding. They have grass and water. We'll pay closer attention to them when calving and AI seasons start. Besides, I thought Longhorns were supposed to be the "easy to care" for breed. :lol:

ALX.":nfimeq9r said:
Herefords.US":nfimeq9r said:
Geez!
George

I think you have as much credibility as your website. If your herd or your business isn't worth keeping the website up, with all your purported knowledge - and all your excuses - maybe you are just a li .

Edit - Oops I mean fibber.

George's operation is the real deal. It's in an area not 20 miles from where I grew up and now live...and George also grew up in that area. He an I are close to the same age and altho I personally cannot remember meeting him, I do know that my family and his knew of each other. And, I believe my brother knows George, personally. And I know my mother knew George as he was in some of the classes she taught at the university here.

Alice

Running Arrow Bill":bsi6hmj7 said:
IMO, the most "credible" posters are those that use all or part of their real name as well as those posters that have a website and/or a valid ranch name listed. Also, those individuals that reveal what State or city in which they are located.

Guess my bias stems from my years working in professional areas, research, and some time working in academe. As such, as a "research oriented" person, if I can't identify the source, the printed information is in question... ;-)

Otherwise, I guess I just have to take the "unknown" posters on face value and often with a grain of salt, until proven otherwise.

If, on the other hand, someone's post "agrees" with some other valid and "proven" information I'm aware of, then either the poster is "knowledgable" or has anonymously paraphrased some information/knowledge of other "experts" (without identifying the source, however).

;-)

Not very many I know of that are knowledgeable cattle men have websites. I always figured it was more the opposite if anything. Seems lots of people familiar with computers and internet that are new to cattle run out and get websites for their 10 head, trucks and trailers with farm names on them and big signs hanging over driveway.

As for User-names I doubt if I put Donald in my user-name it would make me know any more about cattle than if I kept it aplusmnt. People pick user-names for many reasons, me I used aplusmnt because it was easy to remember since my yahoo mail was [email protected]. If I would have given more thought to it I would have used some cool name like Commode Cowboy.

I think it is easy to tell who knows cattle and who doesn't. Some will disagree with small points. But in general the cream of cattle knowledge rises to the top and it is easy for us beginners to scrape it off the top if we pay attention and get past our own ego's!

[/quote] and get past our own ego's![/quote]

Sometimes its getting past THEIR ego's

Alice":fccxky0q said:
And, I believe my brother knows George, personally. And I know my mother knew George as he was in some of the classes she taught at the university here.

Alice

So why does he need to boost his ego by slamming folks who go out on a limb, week in and week out to help others?

Let this guy come in and 2 line someones 3 paragraph problem, time and time again over years.

Not going to participate in another smoke blowing thread for CB, but George's need for attention is getting to me. He doesn't deserve it.

Maybe he will earn his status on the board like CB did. But in his time on the board he hasn't even tried. And if he has tried, just another one coming up short.

Running Arrow Bill":1jz1ih2a said:
IMO, the most "credible" posters are those that use all or part of their real name as well as those posters that have a website and/or a valid ranch name listed.

And the hobby herd boy pipes up.

Made fun of any dead children lately you egotistic goof?
Remember the manure pit.

I'd like to send copies of your comments along with your address to the parents of those children. Oops, the parents died as well. Good Darwin laugh for you I guess.

Brandonm2":xj5mllj7 said:
I tried keeping about 40 cows 92 miles from the house. I had too many incidents of fences getting cut, cows getting stampeded, etc. We have WAAAAYYY too many poachers, vandals, met heads, etc to NOT live on the property. I was seeing the cows 5-6 times a week and was still having problems. I am glad that this works for George. In Alabama, that would NOT work at all.

It wasn't what I had in mind when I got back into the cattle business in 2002, Brandon. When those first heifers started calving in 2004, I practically wore the road out between my apartment in Stephenville and the ranch. My "anxiety" had been really tweaked by the concerns of some cattlemen that I respect, who were afraid that the Pure Gold X Keynote cross would cause some significant calving problems. The breeder of my herd bull was unconcerned, as he had already calved some heifers with calves by him, and said I wouldn't have any problems. I've had one assist in the registered cattle...but the heifer would have likely went ahead and had it on her own. I doubt that the calf would have survived had I not been there, though. In 4 years I've had one abnormal presentation that I'm aware of - a breech birth from a commercial recipient cow. I've had one calf born dead - and that cow was in the lot. I had seen her at midnight and I found the calf at 6 the next morning. I was about an hour too late. That's it in 3 and a half years and a herd that now numbers 45 cows/heifers.

The worst thing that's happened has been to my herd bull. He tried to serve a neighbor's cow over a barbed wire fence in June 2006 and was astraddle of that fence for a day or two before I found him there. He's just now getting over that - but the rascal was still getting his job done because I've been getting calves from him all along since spring.

I sold my business in 1997 and was supposed to be semi-retired since. When I bought those first heifers in 2002, my intention was to spend my time messing with my cows, playing golf, and curtailing my "cyber warrior" presence.

Circumstances and opportunities have changed that. When that happened, I had a choice - to sell out - then start over from scratch once I again had the time - or TRY the route I've taken. These "opportunities" have turned into something that takes about two times the time that I had envisioned. Most of that time is spent in front of this "stinking" computer screen, so that makes it easy to check into CT. At times I have to "ration" my browsing/play time here, so that is why I have disappeared from these boards for weeks at times.

Another negative is that I'm having to revert to the "old fashioned" way of judging my cattle, largely based on visual appraisal alone. It's hard to accurately determine a birth date, much less a birth weight, when you don't see cows for weeks. I've temporarily withdrawn from the TPR program.

But I'm still in hope that the projects I'm working on will line out to where I can spend more time with my cattle in the future.

George

If it works for YOU then great; all I am saying is that on my property in Alabama the scum that ride the roads around here would (DID) make me pay dearly for being away from the cows for any length of time. NOT seeing the cows twice a day is not an option here.......and that's not because the cows need me for anything.

Alice":3nx16idm said:
Wewild,

From the way I read what George said, he resides at the ranch all but a few days of the week. His wife resides in the Dallas suburb and comes to the ranch on the weekends.

As for driving 130 miles oneway per day...believe it or not, there are people from this area that do that. High wages and high salaries aren't to be found in the county that George resides in...I know because Van and I reside in the same county (Van works in a different county which is a 100 mile roundtrip drive).

Anyway, It's not that unusual for people to drive into the DFW metroplex from here to work. As a side note to that, many of them carpool.

Alice

Actually, Alice, I live in Stephenville. There's really no way to get a dependable and secure high speed Internet connection at the ranch, so that necessitates me having a place in town.

I was thinking about your Mom the other day - and wondering if she'd approve of the way I presently use the English language, both content and grammar. :lol:

George

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts