"Long Range" Wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Has anyone tried an injectable prescription wormer called "Long Range" that has a benefit of keeping worms from coming back for 100 days, and also, keeps flies away, thus, eliminating fly tags in the summer?

I am hearing it talked here, but have not found any mention of it on the forum. I did a search, but it did not show up.
If anyone has used it, does it actually work this way, or is this too good to be true?

http://www.merial.com/EN/PressRoom/Pres ... arasi.aspx

I need to talk to Dr. Dedrickson to get the lowdown. Looks promising - but may also be a good way to select for and establish populations of nematode parasites resistant to all the ivermectin-type dewormers (Ivomec, Dectomax, Cydectin, etc.). At first blush, it looks like it would be ideal for stocker calves, but I'm not sure about using it in a cow-calf situation.

DO NOT even THINK about using it in sheep/goats. ONLY approved for CATTLE. There's been NO research studying how this sustained-release product or the 'carrier' it uses will affect small ruminants.

We had a med rep talk at one of our Livestock Association meetings and the things I got from it was it was very expensive and it requires a vet to write a perscription for it. I think I will keep using Cydectin injectable.

Actually it is only made for pasture cattle, especially cow-calf, not supposed to be used in a confinement situation due to the buildup of residue in the manure (the solution to pollution is dilution). They have a convoluted explanation as to why it does not select for resistance that I can't remember. I thought about trying it but injection schedule doesn't mesh well with my calving season. I hate working heavy cows or those with tiny calves if I can help it.

We started using it last year in some of our stocker operations. We've been very happy with it. Coupling it with a long lasting implant has allowed us to eliminate gathering to re-implant and re-worm half way through the season. Not having to gather the amount of yearlings we run an additional time equates to a huge savings in time and labor. We also starting using it in the cow-calf segment of our business on the cows at preg check time. I have been impressed with the results. In the cow segment the longer coverage is very attractive as our mother cows only see a chute once a year so I want all the bang for my buck I can get. Above and beyond the long lasting component, I've been impressed with effectiveness and performance of the product.

I would like to know what this long range wormer will cost us on a per- head basis?
They say that the injectables we have now are only good for 90 days or so.

We get the 500ml bottles by the box (6 bottles per box) for right around $500/per. That makes the cost about $5/head for stockers at turn out and $10/head for cows. This is touted as a 180 day product.

I did the math using the math of $500 per bottle for longrange it would be 1 dollar per cc. Dectomax is $139 per bottle making it .278cents per cc they both take the same amount per 110lbs that would make the cost for a 1500 lbs cow $14 for Longrange and $3.83 for Dectomax mine get wormed twice a year anyway and without actually testing I don't know if they need that much.
On the Valley Vet site it says it works from 100 to 150 days.
js1234 it was mentioned about flies does it actually work for that long on them? That could be where it would be cost effective for me.

bse":32d0ycuv said:
I did the math using the math of $500 per bottle for longrange it would be 1 dollar per cc. Dectomax is $139 per bottle making it .278cents per cc they both take the same amount per 110lbs that would make the cost for a 1500 lbs cow $15 for Longrange and $3.83 for Dectomax mine get wormed twice a year anyway and without actually testing I don't know if they need that much.
On the Valley Vet site it says it works from 100 to 150 days.
js1234 it was mentioned about flies does it actually work for that long on them? That could be where it would be cost effective for me.
I came up with a similar cost. $10.35 for a 1000lb animal.

(Merial) LongRange contains eprinomectin, an extended-release injectable parasiticide for cattle on pastures useful for the treatment and control of roundworms, lungworms, grubs, and mites. Each ml of LongRange contains 50 mg eprinomectin, a macrocyclic lactone. One dose in the spring provides 100 to 150 days of protection from gastrointestinal roundworms and lungworms. Administer 1 ml per 110 lbs. by SQ injection in front of the shoulder. LongRange is not for use in cattle managed in feedlots or under intensive grazing. Not for use in breeding bulls, calves less than 3 months of age, or female dairy cattle 20 months of age or older. 50 mg/ml eprinomectin.

I haven't eliminated fly tags, I still use them too in the mother cows and the summer grass cattle. Also, I re-read my post, our cost for a mother cow is more like $12/head not $10. I really like the product but to be fair, if I were in a small operation where bringing in cattle 2-3 times a year was reasonable I may use a cheaper product. Really good product though.

picked up on the fly thing from Chuckies post didn't know. but the one thing I do see interesting on the longrange is that its not for use in breeding bulls.

I have seen some reports that it has extreme tissue damage at the site of injection. Not sure who did the report so I can't say if it's true or not.

Sounds like there is a significant difference in weaning weights when Longrange was compared to other injectibles. Seems like it was 50-60 lbs difference. If this is correct this may be economically feasible to use. Has anyone on here used it and seen those kind of results?

my neighboor was impressed when he used Longrange on his whole herd , but also my other neighboor as well as my self has been using injectable ivomec based proudcts now for several years , and he just switched to a round of wormer in the fall with safeguard drench , and he said it was like night and day the difference he could see in his cattle , so I reckon we are starting to see some tolerance to ivomec here , I will be going to drench this spring to get away from ivomec for a while , as it seems my herd dont respond to injectable like they used to

I am a bit slow about checking back on this. In the beef program here, some of the people said they had noticed that the fly problem was much less with this wormer. So, I was hoping that this wormer was contributing to this. It doesn't sound like it was, but I was thinking about how nice it would have been to give a few shots this summer and it do the job.
I guess I can wake up from my dream!

Several folks around here have used it, say it works great and flys are less, vet said there getting 1 /10th a pound more gain per day with it.
Mine should be here today, kinda pricey but if it does what they say and whats not labeled, im definitely using it.

We will be using it tomorrow for the first time... Had some lengthy discussions about it with our Vet and he is strongly recommending it due to the results he has seen in other herds. He did recommend that we only use it once a year and rotate it with another wormer. His rationale is that he suspects over time resistance will begin to build up. Looking forward to our results.

Latest posts