"Long Range" Wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm very suspicious that all the benefits are mostly related to grazing practices and management. If one is rotational grazing and giving long rests or possibly haying paddocks, I doubt that much is going to change. Now if one set stocks and the cattle are in mud around feeders a lot all summer then maybe there is something to that. I 'm just not sure.

Lucky_P":p57dgbxv said:
I've not seen Merial make any claims about fly control with LongRange.

They haven't... but I attended a client ed meeting a few weeks ago where Merial was present and did a talk on LR, and they said fly control has consistently been noticed.

I've not seen data presented on LR that convinces me enough to make recommendations. They are seeing increased weight gains in the LR groups - but two pastures of contemporary cow/calf pairs isn't a large enough study to determine LR is the sole reason for the difference.

And I'm not convinced that anthelmentic resistance won't be an issue.

Merial gave my vet some of it when it first came out. I used it for free, just had to weigh calves twice. It is not labeled for fly control, so they cannot claim that, but it does seem to work. Another cattle farm was given 500 doses also, and they as well as I have noticed a drop in flies. I am thinking horn flies???, not sure of the difference in the kinds.
On my calves, we gave them the wormer at 4-5 months old. The control group received nothing. They had had one round of shots and poured with ivermectin at spring workup.
Merial claimed the ones given LR were 25-75 lbs heavier than the control group. I thought they used some selective numbers to make it work better. Their claim not mine. However, they did have less flies and for the first year in several, I had no eyes to work on that summer.
I have used it for 3 years now. Cows look better. We use another wormer in the fall. LR is good for 150 days., so timing is somewhat important. Cost is around 10 a cow. Forgot what it is like to spend the weekends treating eyes.
Long Range is not for stockers on a intensive grazing program, or cows for that matter. Harrowing pastures, and letting rest for 40 days, breaks the worm cycle also. I will not go back to using regular wormer.
Merial claims comception rates will go up as will weaning weights. Too many variables in my operation to make that claim. Resistance is my biggest worry, we'll just have to see.
I would recommend it, not for just one year, but for several. Don't expect a quick turnaround, see what happens in year 5, then see if you want to continue.
My opinion, gs

Longrange should give you a substantial decrease in fly numbers, as long as you use it on most of your animals in a pasture and there aren't other cows close by that haven't received it. The product is excreted in the manure and inhibits larval growth in the fecal pat. The product would be most economical when used just in the calves and not the cows, but you probably won't see much fly control in that situation.

A few other things to consider with this product. It is not labeled for calves under 3 months of age or breeding bulls, Merial people claim it is safe in these populations but its not on the label so they don't have to stand behind the product if you have problems with these groups. If you are going to do a cow calf pair, cost will probably be around $20 per pair.

The producers I talk to believe in the product, and some have numbers to back up their claims. It's a big investment but with these calf prices it should easily pay for itself in most situations. The best cattle to try it on would be some of your animals on pasture that are most susceptible to parasites, usually replacement heifers and first calvers.

I talked to my vet about Long Range. Said it is great for fly control but not labeled for that. He highly recommended it. We used it in the fall. Plan to use it again in a few weeks.

My :2cents:

Farmgirl

Quigly":2rblaydk said:
Longrange should give you a substantial decrease in fly numbers, as long as you use it on most of your animals in a pasture and there aren't other cows close by that haven't received it. The product is excreted in the manure and inhibits larval growth in the fecal pat. The product would be most economical when used just in the calves and not the cows, but you probably won't see much fly control in that situation.

A few other things to consider with this product. It is not labeled for calves under 3 months of age or breeding bulls, Merial people claim it is safe in these populations but its not on the label so they don't have to stand behind the product if you have problems with these groups. If you are going to do a cow calf pair, cost will probably be around $20 per pair.

The producers I talk to believe in the product, and some have numbers to back up their claims. It's a big investment but with these calf prices it should easily pay for itself in most situations. The best cattle to try it on would be some of your animals on pasture that are most susceptible to parasites, usually replacement heifers and first calvers.

I was told the same thing about calves under 3 mo and breeding bulls... The reason not recommended for calves under 3 mo is it has not been tested by merial enough to put it on the label, same with herd bulls. I used the longrange on my entire herd last year except the bull( just didn't want to chance it) and gave him cydectin pour on. The flys we're gone immediately (same day) I rode trough the herd after working them and I could not find a fly on any if them, I will say the advertising of a " longrange look" is true never seen the cows look so good over summer they had a nice shine to them. I used this product in conjunction with corathon fly tags and fly control mineral and nearly knocked out the flys. I'm going to use it again this year

Interesting discussion. For those of us still in winter (snow today, temps down near zero the next few days), I would assume we would wait until the flies start appearing to try this?

Sometime in May boondocks, hopefully it'll warm up by then and I believe I'm just across the river from you

You use the product when you turn cows out on grass. It is an internal parasite drug that has fly control properties as well. If the cows aren't on grass, I would hope you can find a fly control product for less then $20 a head. People just blindly using this every time they need fly control is going to go a long way towards helping internal parasites develop resistance to it.

So for us Texas boys, would we need to inject it in March for maximum benefit? I am in the group that only worms mature cows once a year. I have used Cydectin injection the last couple years. I like the idea that it might be a added benefit to my current fly program.

I just got a message from my vet wondering if I wanted to try Long Range this year. I read through these responses and I'm still up in the air about what to do?? Vet said price is going to go up another 5% on Feb. 1st so if I was thinking about using it she said I should get it ordered now. Talked to a couple guys that used it last year, they said they aren't using it this year. Just didn't see the return on it that they had hoped. So that right there my first red flag. I know it's not labeled for flies, but that is one thing a lot of people say it helps with. As bad as flies were last year I kind of wonder if the price of LR would have been pretty close to what I spent on fly spray alone last summer?? Just wondering if there are any new views on the stuff?

I used it last year, great product I will be using it again for sure. I had very few flies until after summer when product had ran its course, my cattle looked better and slicker than ever, was told it helps with conception, and this year did better first service A I than ever.
Now for what its labeled for, asked what I need for fall working after L R in the spring, was told nothing if there no eggs present, so I did random samples to see what I needed, had 0 eggs in cows and bulls, had count of 20 average in heifers so I wormed those again, but saved fall worming for the most part.
For the fly control part I don't think it would be effective if you bring A lot of cattle in and out and not use it on incoming cattle.
Cost me about 17 per head on cows, but money well spent for me.

Latest posts