Long, dead I wish forgotten

Help Support CattleToday:

little creek":1ek2t86f said:
Hey Flaboy, It read 1249 I believe. It will be a job, I located where I think the manual said it is and they installed a long loader on the tractor and the brackets for the loader is right at the place where the casing for the alternator is. thanks, little creek

I know what you mean. I had to change the water pump on my Ford with a loader and a dang radiator shroud that you have to pull the radiator to get out. Anyway, skinned up knuckles and forearms are expected.

little creek":lwmmj9lk said:
Long tractor 530, I just bought a new battery for my long 530 tractor. It lasted about a month. Now I have to jump start it off every time I shut it down. There is something killing the battery. Where do I start to look. Thanks, Little Creek.

SO you want to know where to start?? Try loading the long and head for the JD place and trade it in. I think you will be money ahead in the long run. If it ain't yellow and green you don't want it.

Thanks, Alabama, you see I can't afford to play with the big boys. I have to buy what I can and pray from there. We have a John Deere 2030, It is a horse, but it took my brother $3200.00 dollars and it had to be split apart twice to get it there from the John Deere Service Department. little creek.

Not a tractor but an uncle had a similar problem with his daughter's car. He went through about a dozen new batteries in a row. His explanation was that it was those *** new fangled sealed never add water batteries.

I finally convinced him that it was unlikely that every brand had the same problem or that any battery company could stay in business if ALL their products were defective.

Finally got him to check the voltage regulator. It was defective and was not shutting off so his batteries were all being charged ALL the time, literally cooked to death. He fixed the regulator and those new fangled batteries started working just fine.

This works a little better than the "pull the cable and see if it sparks" trick-- Remove the ground cable from the battery (well, either will do but the ground is usually easier) and clip a test light to the cable end. Touch the test light to the battery post. If it lights up with the key off engine off everything off then you have a current draw somewhere in the system that is drawing it down. Sometimes with a small draw it's nearly impossible to see if it's sparking when you pull the cable.

For shorts, vise grip the side of the test light probe to the battery terminal and watch the test light as you slowly jiggle wires and stuff under the dash. We use this method on schoolbuses now and again-- bout the only way to find stubborn shorts in all that maze of wiring! Good luck! OL JR :)

Latest posts