Long Day-Great outcome

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot":q9olk6nj said:
I'm a sucker for facilities. How much is a stick of guard rail?
I was asking the same question. There seems to be a lot for sale on the internet. A person might do OK finding used or buying in bulk from Alibaba. This was a little over $230 for a 10' section.

0500987.jpg

https://www.fastenal.com/products/detai ... 0~|sattr02:^Straight$|~

We finally bit the bullet and had guardrail lots done for us last fall. We have two lots, each about a football field in size done and one small corner lot that is probably half of a 50ft by 50ft square (triangle shaped). These are lined with cattle panel and strung with hot wire, but the wire is seldom hot. We also have alleys that have a single guardrail at about 4 feet high, just to take the pressure off the panels if a group bunches up too much when getting moved through. I don't know how much it cost, but it has been worth every penny. In the past, we tried every thing you can think of for fence, but just could not keep all the bulls where they belong in off seasons. The winter of 2013/2014, the snow was so deep here, it created a pack that insulated the cattle from being shocked by the fencer. The hot high tensil may as well have been bailing twine stung on popsicle sticks and the panels were only 2 to 3 feet visable above the dang snow!

BTW, our guardrail came right from a road contractor up in our area and a local Amish crew did the install. They also installed street sweeper brushes for scratch posts in the lots. Again, if you can swing it money wise, it is one heck of an investment in your property value and your sanity!

They also installed street sweeper brushes for scratch posts in the lots.
Boot jack I have been looking for some sweeper brushes. Where would I find them?? My cattle do not have anything to rub on but the sheds or the irrigation checks.
Do you have any pictures of how they mounted them?

Bcg , any road work In your area? If so stop and ask the one that look in charge and bat your eyes at him and he will most likely put it in the truck for ya. I had one given to me a while back , went home and was gonna come back and get it and someone else got it. What I've seen are just slipped over a post

I have a street sweeping brush, but have yet to figure out a way to mount the thing. It isn't just the brush, it also has some other piece on it.

branguscowgirl":1ku02lrq said:
Boot jack I have been looking for some sweeper brushes. Where would I find them?? My cattle do not have anything to rub on but the sheds or the irrigation checks.

We get them off of craigslist, from the village maint. department, ect. It is kind of one of those deals that once the people in the area know what you are up to, they keep you in mind anytime they find something you may need. Helps that our area is pretty neighborly!

Ours are sliped down over big pipes set into concrete bases. Size can vary from small town sweeper to the bigger ones used by road construction crews. The brush itself is just a cylinder with bristles on it. Anything else attached to it would probably by uneccessary. Also a good idea to secure them at the top so they can't spin or get pushed up too far and cause an injury when it falls back down. Once the cattle know what they are, they are addicted to them. They slick off faster in the spring and don't rub on fences, sheds, ect. to quell the itch. Our goal is to have one in every pen/pasture, and we have two waiting to go up soon.

If a nine foot cedar post sit 3 feet in the ground, with 5 rails of oak nailed to it, won't hold it, I probably don't want it on my place. Some of that guard rail would be nice, but that sounds expensive.

We bought some of that guardrail (not in great shape) for $.20/ft, and we built the roof of our root cellar out of it... We can drive our crawler on top of that cellar now and it's rock solid... I figure I put about 100 yards of dirt on top too, so it doesn't freeze in the winter anymore.

I have a bunch of street sweeper brushes but have yet to figure out how to mount them as well... they're designed to slide into a channel, the brush is shaped about like a T post... I think I'll find some 2" pipe and split it, then pinch it with some muffler clamps... I got 8 of them from my friend who had a fleet of street sweepers.. And I think I just found a new tongue twister!

branguscowgirl":1jq8pf9p said:

Never tried it but i dont see why a post with tires around it wouldn't work.Mine have plenty of trees to rub on.

JW IN VA":1oq2cep8 said:
branguscowgirl":1oq2cep8 said:

Never tried it but i dont see why a post with tires around it wouldn't work.Mine have plenty of trees to rub on.
This is a good idea also!
Thanks you guys. I will have to start "batting my eyes" at the road crews Mdash! But at my age they might just think I have a seizure disorder and call 911 for me! :lol:

JW IN VA":1n85zh8s said:
Going back to the OP,sounds like you've got a deputy that isn't afraid to go the extra.

Yep I use to hunt a lot with the sheriff but lately hes been too busy so I called him and told him about it and that he should get some notoriety for doing something he truly didn't have to do.

;-) After seeing the heifer, I don't feel nearly as bad that you had to chase her at night. Try chasing black cows at night. :lol: We have been in the process of rebuilding our working pens for the past couple of years using guard rail. Ronnie put a different twist on it by not only using the guard rail but using guard rail post he figures the new pens are going to out last both of us. The guard rail is welded to the post.

In some areas he used wood post the rail is bolted to the post.

some areas he tried a new design I can now tell you it didn't work first time we worked calves and crowded them we ended up with calves going through the wire, we now have all guard rail in this area.

We are always trying to tweak things to make working cattle safer and easier on us.

gizmom

gizmom

Latest posts