Long Angus Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

spears

Reaction score
I am looking for an AI bull to put some length back into my calves. Which bulls would be best for this in angus cattle.

thats helpful. since butt muscles have anything to do with length.

Lengthy Angus bulls that i've seen and liked almost always have some Traveler in them somewhere.

I'm sure some will disagree but check out:

Image Maker - 17379532
Foresight - 13936986
New Design 9150 - 13286230
Destination 928 - 13286246
Traveler 234D - 12309327

S A F Directive # 13574137

Nice long bull, I have one coming 2yr old Directive daughter that is very very nice. Definitely my favorite 2 yr old on our place. I have posted a picture of her here on the site, a while back.
The yearling bulls that I have seen show that Directive transmits his length to his progeny. His sire Millcreek Diversity is the longest bull I have ever seen.

One of our bulls is a Diversity son and he is very long as well.

Directive is available throught ORIgen and ABS.

TNMasterBeefProducer":375idw6c said:
There arent any in the angus breeds. Most if not all are funnel butts.
not all are funnel butt's least mine aint, course i got mine from a breeder who strives to produce quaility animals

ALACOWMAN":r269gdp4 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":r269gdp4 said:
There arent any in the angus breeds. Most if not all are funnel butts.
not all are funnel butt's least mine aint, course i got mine from a breeder who strives to produce quaility animals
Length has nothing to do with butts, TNMBP. While i do see a LOT of angus with funnel butts, i have to agree with Alacow on this one. Personally, i dont raise angus. A show friend of mine does, and her cattle are anything but funnel butted.

Spears. I agree with previouse posters. I really like Traveler, and New Design's length. Here's an old one, so don't laugh. I like a LOT of Leachman Saugahatchee's daughters, they have length, and depth, and everything else.

spears":26gmgmi5 said:
I am looking for an AI bull to put some length back into my calves. Which bulls would be best for this in angus cattle.

He is a little pricey now but EXT will put the length on his progeny and also make some darn good females with excellent udder quality. People ctiticize his disposition but I have never had a problem with his progeny's disposition.

Speaking of Marathon... what is your opinion of his calves? I almost used him this year & definitely want to next year. My tech hadn't seen many of his calves.

highvoltagecattleco":3a1ldh4r said:
Hyline 338 and New Day. I really like the Leachman Rightime Bulls for length.

How easy fleshing are the 338's? I used him this yr. (no calves yet) but I almost chose 24J over 338 because 0f the $en numbers, kinda wished I had.

sjr725":168g81si said:
I hate to sound ignorant - but could somebody please explain "funnel butt"?

"funnel butt" is a made up thing, and is only used by a handful of people on this board. "funnel butt" A working bull, out with cows traveling a big pasture, no open cow policy. The same bull put on feed for 3 months becomes a bull the "funnel butt" critics like. FAT. The words "Funnel Butt" is not used by anybody in the beef industry. :lol2:

mnmtranching":gzt9grov said:
sjr725":gzt9grov said:

"funnel butt" is a made up thing, and is only used by a handful of people on this board. "funnel butt" A working bull, out with cows traveling a big pasture, no open cow policy. The same bull put on feed for 3 months becomes a bull the "funnel butt" critics like. FAT. The words "Funnel Butt" is not used by anybody in the beef industry. :lol2:

Funny! :lol: The term "Gimlet A$$" was used when I was a kid. :lol:

Yup. Everybody wants a fat bull but nobody wants us to feed 'em anything but grass! That's dang near impossible to do year round! :lol: :lol:

mnmtranching":10tl3ujp said:
sjr725":10tl3ujp said:

I'm glad you said that, Minnesota Ranch Man. That's what I think every time I see the funnelbutt reference.

ga. prime":34tae359 said:
mnmtranching":34tae359 said:
sjr725":34tae359 said:

I'm glad you said that, Minnesota Ranch Man. That's what I think every time I see the funnelbutt reference.

Yup and I could say more about the "funnel butt people" :eek: BUT, I try to be nice. ;-)

thanks for all the info - I figured it was something like that! A bull as heavy as the one in that picture wouldn't last long on mountain pasture! I don't think our bulls would qualify as "funnel butts" but they don't look like "show ring" bulls either - they work for a living! and have to be able to get around.

SAV Trav 004 will put some length on cattle. The ones I have sure are nice and long, and the 1st calf heifers I have are doing a great job.

Latest posts