Local Sale Barn Closed

Help Support CattleToday:

OleScout

Reaction score
Sale barn closed in my area last week after 63 years of operation. Not enough cattlemen and cattle left to keep it going. I think they were averaging around 200 head per week. Typical sale years ago was well over 1000 head and have seen as high as 2000. Use to be that every little farm had 10-20 head now there aren't many left. I don't think there is a neighbor cow within a mile of my place. Those pastures are now thickets or pine trees or thickets of pine trees.

Couple of months ago I was in line there unloading. I noticed the guys in the other trucks looked quite a bit older than me and I'm 62. I mentioned it to the Sale barn owner as I was unloading. He said that just about all their customers were older and were running cows because they had always run cows. He said when the current older generation is gone there will be very few cattle in our area.

Sad to see it close, one of my earliest memories (around 4 years old) was going to that sale with my Grandfather.

OleScout said:
Sale barn closed in my area last week after 63 years of operation. Not enough cattlemen and cattle left to keep it going. I think they were averaging around 200 head per week. Typical sale years ago was well over 1000 head and have seen as high as 2000. Use to be that every little farm had 10-20 head now there aren't many left. I don't think there is a neighbor cow within a mile of my place. Those pastures are now thickets or pine trees or thickets of pine trees.

Couple of months ago I was in line there unloading. I noticed the guys in the other trucks looked quite a bit older than me and I'm 62. I mentioned it to the Sale barn owner as I was unloading. He said that just about all their customers were older and were running cows because they had always run cows. He said when the current older generation is gone there will be very few cattle in our area.

Sad to see it close, one of my earliest memories (around 4 years old) was going to that sale with my Grandfather.

We are down to three within 100 miles.
I have seen Groveton,Woodville,Lufkin,and Winnie
close down.
I only know a couple younger men running cattle and baleing hay.

Once the boomer generation quits, there will be a lot less cattle across North America. Numbers are slowly shrinking everywhere. I was the only one in highschool out of a class of 212 that wanted anything to do with farming. Lots came from farms, but they sure weren't looking to go back.

I'd loved to have a farm to go back to that was big enough to support a family. I hear all the time about the next generation not wanting to keep the family farms going. We've got a little piece of land, but I don't see how you'd be able to start from scratch, pay for the farm, and live off it. The debt I'd have to take on for an operation of enough size to glean what little salary I make, plus insurance would be crazy. So, I hope to over time accumulate some equipment, fully stock this place, and maybe rent or buy a little more land. Maybe in retirement all I'll do is cows? That said I am currently accepting all deeds signed over to me :D .

Same story here. We have good barns in Maury and Lincoln counties but the volume is not good. Don't know how long they'll hang on.

Caustic Burno said:
OleScout said:

close down.
You forgot about Palestine, San Augustine and Cleveland in your neck of the woods,

Washington State is down to 4 sale barns. I can think of 15 that I either went to or knew of that are gone. All that are left is Everson (west side up near Canada), Chehalis (mid way between Seattle and Portland), Davenport (40 miles west of Spokane), and Toppenish (in the Yakima Valley). That makes a lot of people haul a long ways or they just quit.

Porkchopfat said:
I hear Winsboro is up for sale. Very sad to see. But we still have Emory, Longview, and Athens. For now at least.
Have you tried Van Zandt Commission located on FM 47 and I-20 about six miles south of Wills Point. Been selling there the last couple of years.

Winnsboro averages around 500 head each week. Sulphur Springs last Monday had a little over 700. Net Bio sale at Sulphur has around 5000 head at each sale. At one time had one of the largest dairy sales in the state. Have been average 100 to 200 head and announced the dairy sale will be once a month from how on.

We have had some close but fortunate to still have a few still open. We have one 37 miles away, 3 more within 45 miles and a few more less than 90 miles. A new barn opened in the winter 45 miles from us but only 5 mikes from an old barn. Heard the new barn is for sale now. Many of us can't figure out why they built it that close to an established barn.
We have many elderly producers around here. There are plenty of younger men/women waiting for the opportunity to get in but most will be small producers. And a few big operators trying to get bigger.

Caustic Burno said:
OleScout said:

close down.

We have 1 within 100 miles, next one is in the opposite direction about 150, and after that, way farther than you'd want to drive in a day

Porkchopfat said:
About 45 minutes. We are over in wood county. Are you close as well?

No sir. I'm dead in the center of Georgia. Was looking at a truck in Longview. Wondering if anyone on here might be familiar with the dealership and their honesty, integrity, etc. ARC Motor Company.

BC said:
Porkchopfat said:
I hear Winsboro is up for sale. Very sad to see. But we still have Emory, Longview, and Athens. For now at least.
Have you tried Van Zandt Commission located on FM 47 and I-20 about six miles south of Wills Point. Been selling there the last couple of years.

I have forgot about van zandt been by it couple times over the years. I will look into that and if the sale is on a weekend try to swing by. If on a week day I will have to wait untill vacation this fall. Thank you for the reminder.

hurleyjd said:
Porkchopfat said:
You forgot Sulphur Springs Livestock Commission.

I forget about them as well. And I have watch the large volume net sales on line. I only get up that way once a year to get 2-1-1 from the co-op. Really not a fan of the drive for some reason. The only good part is driving over lake fork.

JMJ Farms said:
Porkchopfat said:
About 45 minutes. We are over in wood county. Are you close as well?

No sir. I'm dead in the center of Georgia. Was looking at a truck in Longview. Wondering if anyone on here might be familiar with the dealership and their honesty, integrity, etc. ARC Motor Company.

Sorry I can't help with that. I have never had dealings with them. I did see your profile had you in Georgia but thought you may have moved.

Porkchopfat said:
hurleyjd said:
Porkchopfat said:
You forgot Sulphur Springs Livestock Commission.

I forget about them as well. And I have watch the large volume net sales on line. I only get up that way once a year to get 2-1-1 from the co-op. Really not a fan of the drive for some reason. The only good part is driving over lake fork.
If you cross the bridge on lake Fork when traveling to Sulphur Springs just look to the right and behind the junky well drilling place and you will see my place.

Latest posts