Loading Hay in Field w/ Spike or Arm Bed

Help Support CattleToday:

I think this set up on my 240 would cause me to do a backflip, but I appreciate it. Didnt even know these were a thing.
Yeah, the one in that pic is way higher than I would consider "safe". But I knew someone that used one to load bales onto a deckover trailer, it worked well. Of course he didn't lift the bale until he was backed up to the trailer.

Do they have to be hauled off the property or just stacked?

If staying on the property a hay dolly trailer with electric winch would be most economical.

My 2nd would be a tractor that cam handle it.

Lastly would be a hay bed.
I've got one of those little Tumble Bug hay buggies that we used quite a bit years ago. Really handy, it breaks in half when you back into the bale then you lock the brakes by turning on your headlights and drive foward which loads the bale. Unloading is just the opposite. I'm a believer in the bale bed though. They're kinda like a skid steer. Once you get one you wonder how you lived without it. I can load a bale in less than a minute. I've fed 2 -3 rolls a day during feeding season for the last 4 yrs with a bale bed. I only use the tractor if it's really muddy. We unroll net wire with it, hang gates, pick up heavy stuff, move concrete feed troughs, etc. Deweze makes an extenda arm bed that would definitely load hay on a trailer.

I've got one of those little Tumble Bug hay buggies that we used quite a bit years ago. Really handy, it breaks in half when you back into the bale then you lock the brakes by turning on your headlights and drive foward which loads the bale. Unloading is just the opposite. I'm a believer in the bale bed though. They're kinda like a skid steer. Once you get one you wonder how you lived without it. I can load a bale in less than a minute. I've fed 2 -3 rolls a day during feeding season for the last 4 yrs with a bale bed. I only use the tractor if it's really muddy. We unroll net wire with it, hang gates, pick up heavy stuff, move concrete feed troughs, etc. Deweze makes an extenda arm bed that would definitely load hay on a trailer.
I don't have a bale bed but it's on my list.
I do have a electric/hydraulic spear on my truck. Unless I'm feeding right around the house I'll walk past the skid steer and the tractor every time to use the truck. It's just faster. Tumblebug is good option for feeding a few cows but not very many. Those little buggy's with the boat winch...no thanks.

"the one" what? I am not following.
I have figured out that I misunderstood his question. What I used was a triler rig pulled by a tractor. It had a hydraulic arm that loaded bales on to this trailer. It was a pretty slick rig. It hauled 10 bales at a time. You could move a lot of hay in a hurry with it.

I don't have a bale bed but it's on my list.
I do have a electric/hydraulic spear on my truck. Unless I'm feeding right around the house I'll walk past the skid steer and the tractor every time to use the truck. It's just faster. Tumblebug is good option for feeding a few cows but not very many. Those little buggy's with the boat winch...no thanks.
I've seen them with hydraulic cylinders and electric winches.

I hear ya $8K+ vs $2K or so for 100 bales?

I have seen them with hydraulic cylinders and electric winches. Just like a bale bed but in a trailer at a fraction of the price.

Ive got two of them. You can have one if you want it. You'll need a 15" five lug wheel and tire.
I have the same feeling about them as a bale bed... one bale ain't going to get me any where. Especially at that price tag.

I figured a man of your caliber would insist on using one to stay in shape. Pork chop in one hand and winch handle in the other.

I have the same feeling about them as a bale bed... one bale ain't going to get me any where. Especially at that price tag.

I figured a man of your caliber would insist on using one to stay in shape. Pork chop in one hand and winch handle in the other.
So you don't want the hay dolly??

So you don't want the hay dolly??
No, I have one, with a winch, like a man. 😄

On a serious note, when I started working for the family I work for now, they leased out all their land for cattle. The owner got mad at one of the leasees on a small place they had near my house and ran the person off. I was just mowing the grass. 15 year old me pitched to him that he could buy cattle and I would take care of them. He made me get numbers together and projections and present it to him. In that deal, I allowed $350 for a single bale buggy (with the boat winch). He let me buy 25 cows. I winched about 50 bales a year, stacked and fed, for 3 years until the cows were paid for. Used it and an old jeep he had.

Still got the hay dolly. Keep it in a barn as a reminder where it all started.

On a serious note, when I started working for the family I work for now, they leased out all their land for cattle. The owner got mad at one of the leasees on a small place they had near my house and ran the person off. I was just mowing the grass. 15 year old me pitched to him that he could buy cattle and I would take care of them. He made me get numbers together and projections and present it to him. In that deal, I allowed $350 for a single bale buggy (with the boat winch). He let me buy 25 cows. I winched about 50 bales a year, stacked and fed, for 3 years until the cows were paid for. Used it and an old jeep he had.

I started with one to. Still keep them scattered around winter pastures where I have hay stored. Just in case I need it.thanfully I rarely need one.. I don't think Ive ever paid over 400 for one. Oh I just got me a new rig. It's a inline I know but she unloads in hurry and no straps.
IMG_20220512_140231.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220512_131619.jpg
    IMG_20220512_131619.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 8
I bought the tumble bug about 12 yrs ago to feed bulls at a place we kept 4 of them. Before that we set a bale on the flatbed and pushed it off by hand. A girl that works me rolled out the back of her pick up pushing a roll out last year and thought she broke her arm. I drug out the old tumble bug had 2 new tires put on it and told her to bring it back some day. I may never see it again. Lol

Nice trailer fence. I used one a few years ago and it was really handy. I'll probably buy one at some point.

I used to have hay delivered and would move it around with a rock bar through the middle and a tow strap while my wife drove and I directed. Led to lots of arguments!

As with anything, getting started is the hard part. A lot of reasons to give up…

Yeah, the one in that pic is way higher than I would consider "safe". But I knew someone that used one to load bales onto a deckover trailer, it worked well. Of course he didn't lift the bale until he was backed up to the trailer.
I see, certainly would work in a pinch!

I'm in a similar situation. I have a Massey 245 at home, and a Kubota 8540 with a loader out at our bigger place (about 30 miles away). I have a 26 ft equipment trailer, but if I load the trailer with hay on one place, and haul it to the other, I have no way to haul the bigger loader tractor to get the hay off the trailer. I've used the smaller tractor to pull it off with a tow strap, I've even backed up on a slope and slammed on the brakes to roll a few bales off, then use the smaller tractor with the 3 point spear to move them around. You gotta do what you gotta do... Normally I try to buy my hay from someone close to each place and work out cheap delivery with them. But this year, with costs being what they are, I worked out a deal with a neighbor to go halves on inputs and split his hay. That means hauling 150-200 bales 30 miles over to the other place. Way more than I want to try to roll off a trailer. Another tractor isn't in the cards right now... I'm keeping a close eye on the auction sites for a self unloader.

Yes & expensive especially if you figure how many calves it would take to pay for it.
I was thinking about having another large and fairly complicated piece of equipment to maintain and store, just to move hay off the field. But you have to admit, it sure looks like fun.

Latest posts