Loading Hay in Field w/ Spike or Arm Bed

Help Support CattleToday:

ValleyView

Reaction score
Does anyone utilize a spike or arm bed that can load round bales onto a car hauler or other low decked trailer in the field?

Massey 240 Tractor is undersized for a front end loader for these 6x4 bales and would rather buy a multi-use trailer (as opposed to pipe hay trailer) and arm or spike bed to load in field. Figure I might get more bang for my buck this way than upgrading tractor and potentially buying two separate trailers.

The one I used (belonged to a friend) was hooked to an International 960. I wouldn't have wanted anything smaller hooked to it.

No, I haven't, but about 30 years ago I saw a guy shove a 4 x 5 roll all over the field and then into his fence trying to stab one. He never did get it to work. Those old Vermeer balers would roll them tight.

Are talking about an arm bed like DewEze or Hydrabed on a pickup? If so I've never loaded onto a trailer with mine but have picked up a bale and set it on another flatbed pickup. If loading trailer from side it would work but not very well because the bale is so close to the back of the truck. You also have to leave eough room between bales to open the arms and release the bale. If loading trailer from the back you could just shove the bales on the trailer forward with the bale on the truck as you load them.

I put of buying a balebed for years but after having a few I'd hate to be without one. It's hard to say how many things you can do with one. It's almost like having a loader tractor with you at all times. The bale bed has cut my tractor use in half and sped things up greatly. At first look they seem really expensive but are actually only about 5-6k more than a regular flatbed. 5-6k won't come close to buying any kind of tractor that can move hay or has a loader.

I don't think a spike bed would lift high enough to load onto any kind of trailer.

An arm bed could in theory. But you would have to strap every bale to stop them from rolling off the trailer.

I have a double spike, electric/hydraulic bale spike on my flat bed. They work very well for moving bales. I can pick up two at a time. Loading onto, even a low trailer, would be nearly impossible. Just does not lift high enough.

I've set rolls off of a low deck trailer before with a Hydrabed, but never put them onto the trailer. I'd wager one could set a few on there in a pinch, but they're not going to be stacked tight and I sure wouldn't want to make a habit of it. It'd resemble the proverbial monkey and the football.

If you can find a scissor lift bale spear, it'll do what you need. I see them at farm auctions occasionally. Looks like you can also just buy the scissor lift part and attach your own bale spear.

R.0cfae3600c8243af4f00a1d2a4bb5a67

1*ginD3pgD4VQqySeC0m8N1w.png

Are talking about an arm bed like DewEze or Hydrabed on a pickup? If so I've never loaded onto a trailer with mine but have picked up a bale and set it on another flatbed pickup. If loading trailer from side it would work but not very well because the bale is so close to the back of the truck. You also have to leave eough room between bales to open the arms and release the bale. If loading trailer from the back you could just shove the bales on the trailer forward with the bale on the truck as you load them.

I put of buying a balebed for years but after having a few I'd hate to be without one. It's hard to say how many things you can do with one. It's almost like having a loader tractor with you at all times. The bale bed has cut my tractor use in half and sped things up greatly. At first look they seem really expensive but are actually only about 5-6k more than a regular flatbed. 5-6k won't come close to buying any kind of tractor that can move hay or has a loader.
Yes, that is what I'm talking about. Looking at the Crownline arm bed $8k as opposed to $13k for Hydrabed. Only need it a few times a year and was hoping being able to load a few bales (single stacked) on a trailer might be an added bonus.

If you can find a scissor lift bale spear, it'll do what you need. I see them at farm auctions occasionally. Looks like you can also just buy the scissor lift part and attach your own bale spear.

R.0cfae3600c8243af4f00a1d2a4bb5a67

1*ginD3pgD4VQqySeC0m8N1w.png
I think this set up on my 240 would cause me to do a backflip, but I appreciate it. Didnt even know these were a thing.

I've set rolls off of a low deck trailer before with a Hydrabed, but never put them onto the trailer. I'd wager one could set a few on there in a pinch, but they're not going to be stacked tight and I sure wouldn't want to make a habit of it. It'd resemble the proverbial monkey and the football.
Monkey and a football is how most everything I get into ends up at one point or another! 🤣

Was it really difficult to get them off the trailer that way?

I don't think a spike bed would lift high enough to load onto any kind of trailer.

An arm bed could in theory. But you would have to strap every bale to stop them from rolling off the trailer.
Agreed, I can buy a lot of straps for what a tractor is bringing right now.

If you have a bumper pull trailer I guess you could load it up then carry two bales on the truck too. The only deal with beds like the crownline or CM is the electric/hydraulic pump opates really slow and even slower as the bales get heavier. The Crownline looks good though. Butler also makes a nice bed for less than the Hydrabed.

If you have a bumper pull trailer I guess you could load it up then carry two bales on the truck too. The only deal with beds like the crownline or CM is the electric/hydraulic pump opates really slow and even slower as the bales get heavier. The Crownline looks good though. Butler also makes a nice bed for less than the Hydrabed.
Exactly, maybe hauling 5 or 7 bales each trip depending on trailer type and length. Butlers are nice, I should call and get an updated price.

I'm using this quote as my answer.
Probably could in a pinch but that don't mean it's a good plan.

Latest posts