Loading Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king

Reaction score
Hauled cattle today and man that was the bestest pain in the rear i have done in a good while.
1.It was freezing cold and windy as if the world was comeing to a end. :santa:
2.the truck wouldn't start :(
3.The trailer brakes didn't work all the time :shock:
4.one cow broke a gate and we had to go get a new one for $153 :(
5. The time changed last week so it gets dark at 4:45 pm :x
6. The cattle wouldn't load worth a darn :mad:
But one good thing the calfs are at about +100 lbs. and full of muscle so I guess it is all ok then but i'm glad it will be next year before i have to do that agine :D
Thanks for listen just had to let off some steam

Welcome to the cattle world. Too cold or too hot, truck problems or flats on the trailer, wild cattle that won't cooperate. How would you like to load and haul 3 or 4 times a week. Last week I hauled 4 days. 2 loads today. Sure is fun ain't it? :D :drink:

Sure at and try balacening school and crop work :cry2: makes me wish i could have a break one day just to injoy the cattle and the crops

sim.-ang.king":19rv55ql said:
Sure at and try balacening school and crop work :cry2: makes me wish i could have a break one day just to injoy the cattle and the crops
Better save that for the retirement years or you might not get there. :)

Those stupid and ugly herefords would make working cattle less of a cumbersome task. :lol:

KNERSIE":3vjierkr said:
Those stupid and ugly herefords would make working cattle less of a cumbersome task. :lol:
I don;t know about that. Having to put my shoulder in their butt and pushing really tires me out.

dun":28tc4s26 said:
KNERSIE":28tc4s26 said:
I don;t know about that. Having to put my shoulder in their butt and pushing really tires me out.
Yeah the best thing to load a herford is a loaded gun :lol:
just playin' with you guys

I once had to deal with loading stupid herefords, ugly/mean herefords, and good cows all at the same time. The ugly/mean herefords were either in front of the herd tearing out fences or in back fighting with me while the black/bwf were waiting for just enough pressure to give them incentive to do exactly what I want them to do willingly and the stupid herefords stood in the back and reacted to my screaming rants and slapping them with the end of my reins and finally to my hotshot with the "Ooouuuuch... What was that for? I'm mooooving as faaast as I caaan" look.
They were all going to the same pasture on the the other end and there were about three loads of each but with almost no exceptions they shipped in even loads by group. Mean herefords first except for the three we roped and tied down for the last load, willing black cows second, stupid herefords last with lots of hoop and holler to get them on the truck.
I like quiet cows that do what I want them to do but there is such a thing as to gentle and it can be as bad as to mean.

Those blackie's sure are easy to load
The one's i had probelms with are my lim-ang cross those crazy red cows i call them but they are some of the best milking and raise good calves

Ever have some that don't want to unload? We had a group of weaned calves we wanted to move to a different pen, and the trailer looked to be the simplest way. Opened the gate to their pen, husband walked behind them, the lead calves jumped in the trailer and everyone followed. Husband backed trailer to an alley leading to the chute so I could worm/vaccinate on their way into their new pen. He had the divider gate shut inside the trailer so he was working with a small area in the trailer. Those calves went round and round instead of getting off. He only brought one at a time to me and I finally had to go help push each calf off the trailer.

dun":35d7gkky said:
KNERSIE":35d7gkky said:

I'm getting of the age where I'm going to have to start culling cattle for disposition on the OTHER end of the scale. I have no patience or energy to deal with a cow that just won't move.

angus9259":ivbybsa4 said:
dun":ivbybsa4 said:
KNERSIE":ivbybsa4 said:

I'm getting of the age where I'm going to have to start culling cattle for disposition on the OTHER end of the scale. I have no patience or energy to deal with a cow that just won't move.
The old ones are the ones that won't move most of the time :mad:

I loaded a black white face Thursday, He walked right through the gate and on the trailer.
and off at the butcher,, Nar a peep,, he was a good steer :nod:
And i thought he'd be a pain :banana:

angus9259":33zc11xg said:
dun":33zc11xg said:
KNERSIE":33zc11xg said:

They need to change the docility scores for this one, we are building a chute to work them in and I wanted to see if she fit, walked her in with a range cube and she stood there for about 5 minutes, had to get another range cube to get her out. :lol2: That's some of that mean old EXT bloodlines. :lol2:
http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l59 ... -10web.jpg

Haha saw a similar experience the other day. My buddy was loading his 1400 lb. angus bull when the sucker decided to start walking backwards and push one of the panels down on him. Needless to say, he about became hamburger meat.

I know how too docile can be a pain, but I'll take that before too wild any day... when I can do the vaccinations on 90% of my cattle without sending them down the chute.. it's kinda nice... when i can steal some milk/colostrum, ditto, and same goes for hoof trimming, pasture changing, working with their calves...

another good thing about the docile ones is that when the entire herd comes running to you... nobody will go in the pasture since they *look* mighty scary

as for the excessively docile ones... that's what god put a tail on them for... so you can wrap it over their back and give it a yank... it makes them move alright.

Nesikep":2cd29cqb said:
I know how too docile can be a pain, but I'll take that before too wild any day... when I can do the vaccinations on 90% of my cattle without sending them down the chute.. it's kinda nice... when i can steal some milk/colostrum, ditto, and same goes for hoof trimming, pasture changing, working with their calves...

another good thing about the docile ones is that when the entire herd comes running to you... nobody will go in the pasture since they *look* mighty scary

as for the excessively docile ones... that's what god put a tail on them for... so you can wrap it over their back and give it a yank... it makes them move alright.
The tail doesn;t always do the job. Our biggest PITA just wiggles like she thinks it feels good. Looks like she's doing the hula.

Latest posts