ln tank alarm

Help Support CattleToday:

hopalong

Reaction score
A recent post about a tank going dry got me to thinking (also had one go dry on me))) would think some one could come up with a simple inexpensive weight alarm to hang the tanks from that would sound an alarm if weight got beyond a set weight,,,,,, Am looking into designing one right now...
Your input would be great

why not just use a regular scale to hang the tank from. When you walk by, look at the weight. Record the weights weekly and the amount of nitrogen and then you'll know.

You could do it with a thermistor, buzzer and a 555 timer, but the problem would be insulating all of the components from the -120 degrees or how ever cold N2 is.

I'm just a simple man with a simple mind and do not know if this would work. A bathroom type scale with the weight dial on it connect a copper strip to the dial with wire and another copper tab on the frame with another wire. When the weight drops enough for the two tabs touch have a battery powered alarm attached.

:bang: LOL, Shame on me. I had to read the thread twice before I realized you were talking about an alarm for a semen straw tank. My mind was tunneled in on a water tank and I couldnt figure out why you would suspend it or want it so cold, lol.

Thanks for the links but looking more for a weight alarm as opposed to pressure....and a tad pricey for my tastes,,,,could do some modification on that bathroom scale and use a hanging scale as opposed to a bathroom scale I am a cheap skate.

I have always wondered why people even have a tank. Virtually every part of this continent has semen dealers within driving distance and they store for you. They will also deliver, or even come to do your AI for you.

I bet my wife has about 300 or more straws stored with her company of choice - Eastern Breeders - based about two hours from here - and when we want to do any AI she calls them and they come and do the job. Storage fees are less than 10 bucks a month.

They base AI techs around the country and give them a territory to handle. So our guy always has a selection of our straws in his main tank.

Do not ask me what the fees for AI are - but they are quite reasonable as well. We have never to the best of my knowledge paid more than 10 - 20 bucks for the guy to come to the farm and do up one or two cows. When they come into heat we call Eastern Breeders and they come to do the work.

I admit we do not do a lot of AI any more, but when the AI tech comes he always does - obviously - a minimum of one. Only one time did we sync about 15 animals and I think the total bill that day came to less than 100 bucks. We did all the work and he did the AI using our semen.

The risk and the worry and the potential to lose thousands of dollars of straws - in my opinion is not worth it.

I see loss of N and loss of straws on these boards on a fairly regular basis. Each to his own but I often wonder how many people here have done a SERIOUS search to see what services are available for them in their area?

Best to all

Bez

hopalong":1pmsugyp said:
Thanks for the links but looking more for a weight alarm as opposed to pressure....and a tad pricey for my tastes,,,,could do some modification on that bathroom scale and use a hanging scale as opposed to a bathroom scale I am a cheap skate.

Going to be blunt...
Complaining about financial loss and trying to rig something together that is not proven is silly.
I am sure the system you may build will work, but at what cost just to appear cheap?

Bez
We do not run bulls, so AI is necessary. Three of us in the immediate family AI, so a tank is a necessity. I guess it comes down to priority; we put top genetics for our breed first, thus the reason we AI everything or put an embryo in. We make our money on selling seed stock,registered cattle. People pay a premium for cattle out of well known genetics, not some herd bull. Because of our investment in our semen tank, we not only have it insured but we also check it almost daily for nitrogen content. But that is our "bull" so to speak, so we care for it like someone would care for their herd bull. Most of our semen runs $25 to $30 a straw, and I usually do not have more than 5 straws on any one bull except my most favorite. The embryos are where the big money is, so we try to get those in with in a year of purchase. So it is what works for us. One day, when our kids are not showing and really promoting their cattle, we might just switch to a herd bull and sell at the market. But until then, we do what works for us... And that includes a semen tank :)

hummmmmm rigging something up that is unproven that would have stopped some of the greatests inventions ever.....
telephone, elect light,radio, tv. the list goes on an on and on..l. guess i need to stop thjinking about inventing something because it is unproven :roll: :roll:
Oh those links you sent were unproven at one time :D

And i was not complaining about losing money I was merely looking for a way NOT to lose money!!! ;-)

there are lots of reasons for owning your own tank!!!
1: not all reps can get to you in the time frame needed for heat!
2: I do commercial A.I. work. to have someone store my semen is not cost effective
3: not all of my semen comes from the same place, some reps are reluctant to store someone elses product for liability reasons.
4:how many reps will come to your place in the middle of the night when you have a couple of them come into heat
Must be a good reason for owning your own tank, there are so many of us doing it
the list grows and grows,,,,, And i know of no one that will do a cow for just $20.. there is milage, semen, drugs if used. etc etc.
But if you are happy with your arrangment then good for you

I haven't ran across a hanging device yet, but the pressure sensitive mats keep showing up. Looks like it would involve a lot of tweaking but I guess it's possible.

You may also want to look into the type of sensor that would be fitted for a passenger seat in a vehicle. It tells the system whether there's a person there for the seat belt reminder.

Just some thoughts.

http://www.tigermedical.com/Products/Pr ... Comparison

We used to have a big problem of tanks going dry or someone taking the nitrogen from the tank. I moved the tanks to my office and it has taken care of the problem since I see them everyday and they get checked often. Remember the old saying out of site out of mind. Good luck

Eric

snake67":1v5h5qx8 said:
I have always wondered why people even have a tank. Virtually every part of this continent has semen dealers within driving distance and they store for you. They will also deliver, or even come to do your AI for you.

I bet my wife has about 300 or more straws stored with her company of choice - Eastern Breeders - based about two hours from here - and when we want to do any AI she calls them and they come and do the job. Storage fees are less than 10 bucks a month.

They base AI techs around the country and give them a territory to handle. So our guy always has a selection of our straws in his main tank.

Do not ask me what the fees for AI are - but they are quite reasonable as well. We have never to the best of my knowledge paid more than 10 - 20 bucks for the guy to come to the farm and do up one or two cows. When they come into heat we call Eastern Breeders and they come to do the work.

I admit we do not do a lot of AI any more, but when the AI tech comes he always does - obviously - a minimum of one. Only one time did we sync about 15 animals and I think the total bill that day came to less than 100 bucks. We did all the work and he did the AI using our semen.

The risk and the worry and the potential to lose thousands of dollars of straws - in my opinion is not worth it.

I see loss of N and loss of straws on these boards on a fairly regular basis. Each to his own but I often wonder how many people here have done a SERIOUS search to see what services are available for them in their area?

Best to all

Bez

Bez, I just got started with the AI and as you know in my specific case, it is more of a novelty but I can see already that you better have that semen at the farm and easy to get when you need it. Especially if you are working the odd cow or two when they cycle naturally. No doubt about that in my mind.

Latest posts