LLL Nuff said??

Help Support CattleToday:

Redrose

Reaction score
Purchased a heifer out of a LLL Nuff Said cow. As I'm a Hereford novice can anybody please tell me the strengths and weaknesses of this sire??

Thanks in advance

He's growthy as heck, but not very good on calving ease. Sometimes that gets distorted on a popular bull by what people breed him to.

I've always been very partial to LLL cattle. They seem to buy most of their genetics, but somebody there has a good eye IMO.

I have never used the bull and I don't know what your goals are, but for someone producing commercial cattle, there isn't enough good traits for me to overcome his weaknesses.

He has a 7.5 BW epd which is one of the largest 5% in the breed. That is combined with a -7.8 CED epd wich is the bottom 1% of the breed so that tells me his calves have come pretty large and they have needed quite a bit of assistance. He also has a -4.3 on MCE which is also in the low 1% of the breed so that tells me his daughters have had some calving difficulty too. On top of that he has a -.45 IMF score which is one of the lowest IMF scores in the breed. His data has some accuracy too as he has been used in 187 herds with 827 progeny with 319 daughters in production. His REA is actually very good and his performance data is just above breed average.
Now that is what her sire has done. It is possible that he was mated to a cow that has covered up some of his weaknesses and hopefully the daughter you bought was by a sire that compensated for these weaknesses too.

You are two generations from Nuff Said with your heifer so you need to understand the population genetics in her maternal grandsire and her sire and offset them with a bull that can compliment your heifer.

Good luck

Brian

smnherf":217n4jvy said:
I have never used the bull and I don't know what your goals are, but for someone producing commercial cattle, there isn't enough good traits for me to overcome his weaknesses.

He has a 7.5 BW epd which is one of the largest 5% in the breed. That is combined with a -7.8 CED epd wich is the bottom 1% of the breed so that tells me his calves have come pretty large and they have needed quite a bit of assistance. He also has a -4.3 on MCE which is also in the low 1% of the breed so that tells me his daughters have had some calving difficulty too. On top of that he has a -.45 IMF score which is one of the lowest IMF scores in the breed. His data has some accuracy too as he has been used in 187 herds with 827 progeny with 319 daughters in production. His REA is actually very good and his performance data is just above breed average.
Now that is what her sire has done. It is possible that he was mated to a cow that has covered up some of his weaknesses and hopefully the daughter you bought was by a sire that compensated for these weaknesses.

You are two generations from Nuff Said with your heifer so you need to understand the population genetics in her maternal grandsire and her sire and offset them with a bull that can compliment your heifer.

Good luck

Redrose I would reccomend that you read this about 5 times then go look for another bull.
Brian

He has a 7.5 BW epd which is one of the largest 5% in the breed. That is combined with a -7.8 CED epd wich is the bottom 1% of the breed so that tells me his calves have come pretty large and they have needed quite a bit of assistance. He also has a -4.3 on MCE which is also in the low 1% of the breed so that tells me his daughters have had some calving difficulty too. On top of that he has a -.45 IMF score which is one of the lowest IMF scores in the breed.

'nuff said!

KNERSIE":25bxy1at said:
He has a 7.5 BW epd which is one of the largest 5% in the breed. That is combined with a -7.8 CED epd wich is the bottom 1% of the breed so that tells me his calves have come pretty large and they have needed quite a bit of assistance. He also has a -4.3 on MCE which is also in the low 1% of the breed so that tells me his daughters have had some calving difficulty too. On top of that he has a -.45 IMF score which is one of the lowest IMF scores in the breed.

'nuff said!

Nuff Said is a bull that I wish I had tracked the change in EPDs over time as he's become more proven. Several years ago, his biggest "knock" was his milk EPD. It was so low that most people feared his daughters wouldn't be good producers. That hasn't proven to be the case, as his milk EPD numbers have improved with daughters in production, yet his calving ease and BW numbers have ballooned to the "negative" side.

I wouldn't be overly concerned if your heifer is out of a good cow. A lot depends on who the sire of your heifer is, as far as the calving ease goes. And, of course, the bull that you mate her to.

George

Latest posts