SOMETHING TO BE SAID ABOUT BRANGUS COWS

Help Support CattleToday:

Dap":34c4ta5t said:
I had a few reasonable brangus cows, but a lot more that were crazy. Most of them were ok until a gate was shut behind them, then things would get ugly. I had my best luck working them when I was by myself, and if they weren't going to the barn like I wanted I had to give up early. I've managed to get rid of most of them and all the really bad ones are gone, one by a dart gun and two by rope. The worst brangus I ever had would never go near the barn when I was around, and she could smell a trap a mile away. I caught her by shutting off all the water except the one at the barn. I closed the gate to the barn and once a day I would open it when the cows were good and thirsty and then I would hide. After 3 days without water she finally came in.

Heck I had to shoot one 30 years ago that jerked a horse from under me , big bull dang thing would fight anything anytime or anyplace.That was the meanest SOB I ever dealt with.
I still like Brangus.

aplusmnt":w30zj1b2 said:
cypressfarms":w30zj1b2 said:
Rod":w30zj1b2 said:
cypressfarms":w30zj1b2 said:
Rod,

Cull, Cull, and then cull harder. Disposition is inherited, and can be culled out. I personally like Brangus, and all of mine come to a bucket/sack in a hurry. I consider them a close second to tigers, though, when working. Have all of your facilities ready, and make quick work of it. We normally don't have many problems, but facilities are good.

Just curious Rod, if you hate em so much, why do you have em? Not trying to be smart alec, but if you want docility, sell em all and go buy hereford cows.

I bought 60 more of those darn creatures becuase i thought they'd raise a better calf than did my angus plus, I'm gunning for the smokies. Funny you should bring up herefords, You wouldn't believe how many times i said hereford on that day, probably about as much as I said some of those awful words, It was more like this, herefords wouln't of done that, herefords are good cattle, a hereford couln't of jumped up that high and get its leg caught up in the top of the head gate, a hereford would of never been able to kick me standing that far away, did you see how much blackwhite baldies are bringing etc. etc. etc. !!

Well Rod, I go back to my original statement. Why have brangus if they frustrate you?

Anyone remember hatchett butt, a former Brangus bull of mine? Well he's at my dad's, his butt has grown out, and he's the lead cow. My dad called yesterday to tell me that all of his brangus had got out, and I thought we were in for some serious work. I told him to give the bucket a try. Sure enough, 'ol hatchett brought all of his cows back with a bucket carried by my dad. Brangus are just different. When they are used to you, you can lead them anywhere, but if you expect to pony up and make them go somewhere they don't want, your gonna have a problem.

Have always heard of Hatchet butt but never saw him, is he got a picture floating around on an old thread somewhere?

Ps. Sorry about the LSU game! Figured it would be tough game for them, but not like that!

Aplus, I need to take a new picture of hatchett butt, and let people tear him up; but I have two calves from him on my place and they look real nice.

Both LSU's men and womens teams didn't show up :(

Rod":2hdnv3i6 said:
yOU KWOW YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING WHEN YOU'VE WORKED 100 HEAD OF BRANGUS FIRST CALVE HEIFERS. It was a holy nightmare. If they didn't try to go thru the shoot then it was over it, if they weren't trying to run around you then it was over you. If you needed them over here then they went over there. They are capable of the following: kicking at a longer than expected distance, tearing down anything you thought they couldn't, jumping over anything you said they couldn't,walking right up over the back of another and make you cuss in front of your grandmother. This was a day that i will reflect on greatly before bringing another one of those creatures on my farms! Lets not forget their calves EITHER!
I'll take 'em if you don't want 'em. ;-)

J. T.":n2xx51fd said:
Rod":n2xx51fd said:
yOU KWOW YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING WHEN YOU'VE WORKED 100 HEAD OF BRANGUS FIRST CALVE HEIFERS. It was a holy nightmare. If they didn't try to go thru the shoot then it was over it, if they weren't trying to run around you then it was over you. If you needed them over here then they went over there. They are capable of the following: kicking at a longer than expected distance, tearing down anything you thought they couldn't, jumping over anything you said they couldn't,walking right up over the back of another and make you cuss in front of your grandmother. This was a day that i will reflect on greatly before bringing another one of those creatures on my farms! Lets not forget their calves EITHER!
I'll take 'em if you don't want 'em. ;-)
ROD, YOU MAY HAVE A SALE FOR THE WHOLE BUNCH RIGHT HERE.

I have had a brangus heard for quite awhile now and really haven't had any problems when moving them. I did purchase 5 heifers in Alabama last year and paid about 2500 apiece for them(they were raised in Fla.),these were the craziest animals I had ever seen in my life, needless to say they have been sold now. I totally agree CULL,CULL and CULL, one crazy one leads to another crazy one!

Handling is the secret with Brahman or Brahman derived cattle. Our Brahmans are docile so are our Brahman/Herefords and South Brahvon. A Brahman cross cow would have to be the most useful type of cow that gives you the best base to cross any breed over. The other breed that comes close is the black baldy.
Colin