livestock water heater

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
This will most likely sound incredibly stupid to some of you folks but here goes. Is there a water that does not run on electricity and will refill from a nearby water source. Obviously it needs to be heated.
I have a creek that runs through the property that I can fill with water from a 27 acre resevoir. Although the creek maintains a level at a minimun of 12" in a dry season, when the creek is frozen there are times when it is frozen to the bottom. I was thinking about filling up the creek at the beginning of winter and using a heated tank to prevent me from having to chop ice. I have no electricity capabilities.
Boy I just read my own post and boy do I ramble.

Thanks in advance

There are propane tank heaters, but I'm not sure about the mechanics of getting water where you want it.

In your case, I'd try siphon feeding a tank from the reservoir if that's feasible. I used to use a Rubbermaid tank and fed the water in the drain hole and just let it spill back in the creek. The flow will keep going through some pretty cold weather, even just with the flow from siphoning through a hose. I had one run that way for three years non-stop once I put a strainer on the intake to keep the baby crawdads and tadpoles out every spring.

We have a ground spring that runs into a "box" that the cattle drink from. In all of the years we have used it I know of only one time it froze.
Now if your spring has a history of freezing, my suggestion is to drill a well and set up one of those black natural heated stock tanks. Friend has several and no longer has trouble with the tanks freezing. Sorry I can not think of what the name of the tank is now. Will try to find out.

Latest posts