Livestock terms

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
I was talking with a Scottish fellow about livestock.
And he was really confusing me for most of the conversation.

I finally asked him to call calves-- calves and not cows-- cause it was throwing me when we were talking about calves and when we were talking about cows. And occasionally he would throw in "cattle" when I was talking about goats or sheep-- really threw me.

He looked at me like I was nuts-- Then he told me that
"over there" all farm animals were called "cattle" -- and all bovines were called "cows" .

No wonder we were having problems..

He also told me that "knock it off" which I said to my kid in front of him. Was a VERY vulgar comment-- so vulgar he couldn't even tell me what it refferred to.
Have to warn my dear sweet mother on her trip to Scotland that she better not reprimand any kids or Dad over there useing that phrase.

Howdyjabo":2p1g87eg said:
I was talking with a Scottish fellow about livestock.
And he was really confusing me for most of the conversation.

I finally asked him to call calves-- calves and not cows-- cause it was throwing me when we were talking about calves and when we were talking about cows. And occasionally he would throw in "cattle" when I was talking about goats or sheep-- really threw me.

He looked at me like I was nuts-- Then he told me that
"over there" all farm animals were called "cattle" -- and all bovines were called "cows" .

No wonder we were having problems..

He also told me that "knock it off" which I said to my kid in front of him. Was a VERY vulgar comment-- so vulgar he couldn't even tell me what it refferred to.
Have to warn my dear sweet mother on her trip to Scotland that she better not reprimand any kids or Dad over there useing that phrase.

Don't know exactly where your 'Jock' buddy comes from, but in the rest of the UK anyway, everything is not called 'cattle' or 'cows' . Has he ever owned 'cattle' of any sort, or is he a Townie?
'Knocking it off might be what a bull would do to a cow, but used in another context would not cause offence. Unlike our slang for cigarettes- which is 'fags'. I have to stop myself asking my neighbour if he's 'going for a fag' when he lights up. Now THAT could cause offence!

Latest posts