livestock insurance

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
i am just starting up this year. I just graduated high school a couple of weeks ago. i have had just a few cows that i raised a calf off for the past couple years. a couple months ago i purchased 32 purebred black angus heifers. they are Ai-ed to Right Answer bull. Right now they are un-insured.. i have been shopping around but i am clueless on who to go with and what it will cost? Do they all need to be insured or just a few? Feel free to message me if you would rather do that?

I have mine insured with the company we have the rest of our farm insured with (Farm Bureau). By right you should insure them all. I think our heard of 36 fall calving cows runs just shy of $100 a year for cow and calf.

I never insured anything except herd bulls and that was a long time ago. The bulls I was buying at the time were in the $2000 - $2500 range.

Can't remember what it cost but it was so much per $1000 of value. To collect on the insurance, the bull had to die, not just become disabled.

I eventually quit insuring bulls, and never insured the cow herd or calves. Sometimes a guy just gets insuranced to death. :|

Main reason we insure all our livestock is that we have most of our pasture ground along main highways. If they get out in the road and get hit by a car I have the cow/calf covered plus the liability of the damage to the vehicle/injury to the person. I know people that have hit Bulls that have been out at dark and if it weren't for the Ranch Hand Bumper on the truck the guy may not be here today.

chorewife":2iz70ly0 said:
Main reason we insure all our livestock is that we have most of our pasture ground along main highways. If they get out in the road and get hit by a car I have the cow/calf covered plus the liability of the damage to the vehicle/injury to the person. I know people that have hit Bulls that have been out at dark and if it weren't for the Ranch Hand Bumper on the truck the guy may not be here today.

I understand what you're saying, but the liability aspect if someone gets hurt or killed, and the reimbursement to you for death loss of one of your animals are two totally seperate insurance issues.

I have basic liability in my ranch policy which is $100K/$300K just like my auto insurance liability.

On top of that I have a $1M umbrella liability policy which kicks in in the event the ranch policy or my auto policy coverage reaches its limits.

Probably should have a larger umbrella policy. Have had this policy for around 30 yrs. A million $$$ sure doesn't go as far as it used to. :shock: :shock: :shock:

I keep my cattle insured. One freak lightning storm can kill several and costs thousands. I'm insured with a local farm mutual insurance company. Their premium is so many $'s per $100. Make sure you get broad form coverage including additional livestock perils.

I'm more concerned with the liability aspect than insuring the loss animals. I've had a lightning strike once and had I had insurance on the cattle it would have paid but when I weigh out the amount I would have paid over the years before the strike I would be at a loss so I still don't insure them even though I was recently reminded how unfriendly lightning is to cattle. I figure its just part of owning cattle. I might think differently if I owed money on the cattle but I don't.

Lightning is not cow friendly but its part of it.

John SD":23gqix6i said:
Jogeephus":23gqix6i said:
I'm more concerned with the liability aspect than insuring the loss animals. I figure its just part of owning cattle.

:nod: If you have livestock, you will have dead stock. :bang:

Your dead on the money there! (pardon the pun)

How bout this fancy heifer. She had more tattoos on her than a rock star. Just glad I didn't pay them what they thought she was worth. Tattoos don't impress me much but a living animal does and she just didn't have it in her.

Latest posts