Livestock fire plan

Help Support CattleToday:

greggy

Reaction score
Hi all,

With all the fires here....thought I might start a thread for thoughts on action.

I have multiple stock in a small area, my paddocks are grazed down and sparse trees.....there is land next to us that could burn...is mainly grass though.

There is forest that is about a kilometer away....the stock cannot get close to there.

My thoughts were, in fire, open all gates or put them all in the open pasture, radiant heat should not be a problem in that 2 acre paddock ?

Open all perimeters is an option, but are sheep and cattle smart enough to move away from fire ? They could walk to a dead end and have wooded areas all round them if out.

I have seen a lot of images where it seems lot of sheep and cattle dead in open paddocks, but what you cannot see or know, is where they were or if it is near a heavy wooded area out of sight.

What are your thoughts and or experience.

First thing I'd try and do is get my cows on that grass that might burn and graze it down if the owners aren't going to

I don't know what cattle do during fires, if they get into the woods they might be worse off

I wouldn't trust cattle to choose safety in this instance - for one thing I can see quite clearly that young calves move away from unpleasantness till they can move no farther, they don't understand till they're older that shelter is found *against* the wind and rain.
I don't know fire, but the farther they are from the flames the less radiant heat... the less dry pasture the less likely the flame will run along it. So it seems their best chance would be locked on open ground.

It is probably a big ask, plenty of humans stay thinking all is well, only too perish, those that live, all speak of unexpected conditions......and how fast things happen.

I am unsure at times, of which species has, or, uses, available grey matter.

Nesikep said:
First thing I'd try and do is get my cows on that grass that might burn and graze it down if the owners aren't going to

I don't know what cattle do during fires, if they get into the woods they might be worse off

Not sure if cattle fear fire as horses, for example, do. I've seen them walk up to a burning bonfire, curiosity maybe? When Texas had fires that involved rangeland about 5 years ago, the pictures of cattle calmly grazing in the midst of grass on fire were very striking.

Never had to deal with fire around here, but if I had a disk or anything that would turn some dirt over I would at least have it hooked up and ready. A 30 or 40 ft fire break would have to help esp in short grazed grass

Short overgrazed grass in open area would be preferred. If in immediate threat, I would be backburning to ensure firebreak.

Agree with Aaron but I'm thinking they may have Total fire ban or fire restrictions at this stage? If they do apply then I'd be discing as Ky cowboy suggests.

I have no idea how they would act but I often have a bonfire in the middle of my pasture. And I have a few cows that are stupid enough to walk into it so I have to move them...

We have a fire exit plan actually because we had to put one in place a few years back. But I only have 20 cows. Mine involves quickly loading a trailer and taking off.

I have seen lots of fires over my 46 year career and several cattle, horses, deer, and lots of small animals burned. The shorter the grass the less the danger but seen lots of ranchers disc around their pastures. Seen a fire in Western Oklahoma last year where the ranchers stopped parts of the fire by discing a wide area. A disc and as a last resort burning from the disc area away from the cattle.

Not something I have ever given any thought to in our area. We have a hurricane plan but no fire plan, very good topic. I have been praying hard for those in Australia I can't begin to imagine what they are going through.

Gizmom

There are a lot of controlled burns here, usually the first couple weeks of March, and most everyone moves their cattle to either different pastures or to a water source. Boundaries are generally outlined using water tanks on the back of a truck/UTV. Same plan of action with a spontaneous or unintentional fire but, as Kenny mentioned, also discing.

We have had a number of years of drought here in Oregon also, so I've given this a bit of thought. It is winter now and we are getting some rain, but still well below average, so next summer could be another bad one. Our place doesn't have much area without trees, but ideally I'd try to keep them in a smaller open paddock with short grass like you described. If you can plow a fire break around the perimeter, that should keep them safe. There have been a number of bad fires near us over the last few summers, but surprisingly very few livestock lost. The cattle will move away from the fire, but problems can occur when they end up trapped against a fence or a cliff with nowhere to go.

I assist some friends burn quite a bit every year and have the same thoughts from time to time. All I can say is if you have not been around pasture burning take what you can imagine and x10. With enough fuel it's very violent. I've seen 20' flames off pasture and when it gets in trees is just flat out scary.

Statigic fire breaks around your property would be the best bet. Use roads, ponds, etc that are already in place to help. Mowe 30-50' and disk or plow 10-20'. Its not a guarantee but it sure helps. Go around trees lines, not between.

I will also add at the end of the day they are just cattle. I know it sounds glorious to say you went down trying protect your animals but that doesnt help your family and friends any. I dont care how clever you are, how experienced you are, etc... fires are no joke and have a mind of their own. The best plan of action is to get the hell out of the way and join a fired dept or forestry group or some thing if you want to be a hero.

Brute 23 said:
I will also add at the end of the day they are just cattle. I know it sounds glorious to say you went down trying protect your animals but that doesnt help your family and friends any. I dont care how clever you are, how experienced you are, etc... fires are no joke and have a mind of their own. The best plan of action is to get the be nice out of the way and join a fired dept or forestry group or some thing if you want to be a hero.

I am no hero but planning ahead can save them. Again I have been a wildland firefighter for 46 years and I feel I have saved lots of cows, wildlife, houses and humans and feel like no hero. Hope none of you every have to deal with it. Be prepared way before the fire gets to your place. .

kenny thomas said:
Brute 23 said:
I will also add at the end of the day they are just cattle. I know it sounds glorious to say you went down trying protect your animals but that doesnt help your family and friends any. I dont care how clever you are, how experienced you are, etc... fires are no joke and have a mind of their own. The best plan of action is to get the be nice out of the way and join a fired dept or forestry group or some thing if you want to be a hero.

I am no hero but planning ahead can save them. Again I have been a wildland firefighter for 46 years and I feel I have saved lots of cows, wildlife, houses and humans and feel like no hero. Hope none of you every have to deal with it. Be prepared way before the fire gets to your place. .

Fuel reduction burns here are getting restricted more all the time because the smoke upsets the latte drinking twits in the city. We used to stop fires with bulldozers making big fire breaks ahead of the fire but not aloud to push out trees anymore. Volunteers used to fight the fires but now considered a nuisance to career firefighters. So half the problems we are seeing here are our own doing. Add a drought, heat and wind and we all knew what was going to happen. I went through one ripper fire once and enough for me. We were prepared and saved pretty much everything. Radiated heat is unbelievable what it can do. This fire was 150 meters away from a chemical shed and it just exploded.

kenny thomas said:
Brute 23 said:

During Kenny's first firefight, Noah's flood put it out.... :tiphat:
Just joking Kenny I admire what you do.

Latest posts