lively hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder":3sgg2rqa said:
chippie i hope i did'nt offend you with my reply as with anyone else who has posted. i beleive he can gain respect for me but i will always have in my mind that he can kill me. i made another video today so you can see a difference. he does still move froward but only a couple of steps. i then give him a tap on the nose and he stands. i was a meter and a half away from him and a meter away from exit. he now tends to just stand when i enter the pen. even so i know he is still dangerous and if he wanted to he could have gone for me. but he never. my gaurd is still up.

Sporder, I like this new video. I really like the bull's response when you tapped him. If he were a mean bull tapping him like that would have made him more mad. Instead he just turned his head away; which in my opinion is a good sign. I would say keep it up, you may well earn his respect.

I'm sorry if I came across as too harsh, I really only had the safety of people in mind. I've had the unfortunate experience of seeing someone getting gored in person. It's not something you'll ever forget. The problem always seems to be that people (in general) don't learn their lesson until it's too late. I wish you the best.

I have always heard never rub a bull on the head. Its like the kiss of death. Most cows and bulls fight this way or play the same way by butting each other in the head. This is what it looks like hes trying to do your rubbing his head and hes butting the gate kinda normal behavior to a bull to butt you back. jmo

Sporder I would like to see the bull have some flight zone. He turned away and that is a good start but from what folks have told me on here and my own limited experience it is NEVER good when an animal stands his ground. It makes it difficult to handle them when trying to move them. He is a good looking bull though. Hopefully you can get him trained and respectful before you or someone else gets worked over by him. I was treed by a gentle playful hereford we used on the dairy years ago. Worst three hours of my life.

sorry Northern Rancher, i have a wife but no dog so i've decided to keep him. while i am the other side of the gate he is no bother to me. if i choose to enter the pen then i deserve everything i get.

Buy a dog-ship him! I doubt you've taken a good hooking yet-you might deserve what you get but I doubt your wife wants to deal with the results.

Northern Rancher":27islajq said:
Buy a dog-ship him! I doubt you've taken a good hooking yet-you might deserve what you get but I doubt your wife wants to deal with the results.

I fear that the next bull will be worse than this one from what we have seen of the owner's animal husbandry skills and the splendid facilities he keeps his cattle in. If he has trained this really laid back bull improperly, what makes us think that his next bull will be any different. I hope that I am all wrong but everything here makes me think this is a death trap waiting too happen. It may not be this winter or five years from now; but if he insists on working these cattle daily in such close quarters without the ability to firmly establish himself as the alpha male of this barn or exercise even basic precautions eventually a bull (or a cow for that matter) is going to put his/her skull into his rib cage. I hope I have reached the wrong conclusion here.

thank you for your opinion but i fear you are wrong. obviously you look at people like me (hobbie farmers) as complete dumbwits that cannot learn from mistakes. there was a day at some point in which you new nothing about cattle but i dare say you learnt from mistakes and from what others told you. how many years did that take. all i am doing on here is tapping into many years of experience so i dont have to make the same mistake as you and others. do you honestly think i have learnt nothing from this post and will carry on as before. most hobbie farmers are doing it because they have made some money in whatever they do and wish to do something different. it takes common sense to acheive your goals in life and many never will, fortunatly so far i have done ok. i do have common sense in life i just need the information to put things into practise.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1lmlv7dq said:
Sporder - hang in there. We all had to start somewhere. You knew you had a problem & you are working on it.
Common guys - give him a break.
Absolutely. Everyone can't inherit a ranch and cattle and become the "instant expert".

Latest posts