lively hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

sporder

Reaction score
have a problem with my bull. he seems to have a bad temprement and i cant go in his pen to straw up unless he is haltered or feeding. as soon as i go in there he heads for me. this video shows him in action. he is not always this lively he tends to head butt the gate that i am stood the other side of. is there anything ( other than shipping him out ) i can do to calm him, as a hereford bull should be. I have tried putting another cow in with him but that did nt make a difference. he was nt like that in the summer when he was working but i stiill did nt walk too close and stayed on quad most of the time i checked the cows.

looks like a good candidate for Balony
Gte rid of him because one of these days he will seriously hurt or kill you or someone else
would you keep a vicious dog around that bit you everytime you came near him it is no diferent than owning this bull
a short ride to the the baloney plant

I could only watch the first few seconds before it froze, but what I see is a playfull bull who is bored being penned up. Sure he can still hurt you badly in the process, but an agressive bull looks very different from this.

How do you know what his intentions are?
How do you get the halter on him?
Is he charging the gate?
Head butting the gate could mean he wants you to feed him.
Well I finally got the video to work. After viewing I agree with Knersie.

I also think this bull is being playfull - bored. But, he is definately a danger like that. I might put a big bossy cow in with him. It appears he does NOT respect you. THAT is dangerous. You have to be the boss. If not, he needs to go. But, until you learn how to be the boss, you may never be able to keep a bull around for long.

here is another video. this is more what he will do rather than the last video. I can get a halter on him when he has his head in the feeder and he will stand respectfully when tied but i wont try to lead him.

He needs someone to play with, and that someone is not you. Give him more space and a buddy. and leave him alone, if you need to pet something go pet the dog.

You don't realize it - but you are actually TEASING HIM. You are asking him to butt at you. Any animal would end up acting like that if you kept them isolated & poked your hand thru the rail to them.
A bull is not a pet and you can't be treating him like one.
I stand with my first statement, that you are not the boss in his house. You will get hurt by him.

You may have unintentionally caused a problem for yourself. When he butts the fence and you step off then he has caused you to back off. He may do this in the pasture were there is no fence. He is a teenager that has tested you and you backed off. It may be tough to reverse it. My advice at this time is to put the halter on him, get a show stick and train him to lead. He needs to understand you are in control. Hold the rope close with no slack. If you do not know how hire it done or you may have to sell him.

my intention is to keep the bull but I want to be able to enter the pen without him trying to take me out. will he gain respect by being handled more. when he is eating i can be in the pen with no problem because he is occupied. he is just over 2 years old so will he get better as we both get wiser and are his offspring likely to be the same.

sporder":34loiezp said:
my intention is to keep the bull but I want to be able to enter the pen without him trying to take me out. will he gain respect by being handled more. when he is eating i can be in the pen with no problem because he is occupied. he is just over 2 years old so will he get better as we both get wiser and are his offspring likely to be the same.
I would get the halter on while he is eating and tie him to the fence. Approach him after he eats to see how e reacts. If he goes nuts then back off. Approach him again later.
You may sit in the pen and read him a book. Dun knows the ones they like. When you can approach him and he is calm then untie the rope. hold short and keep the show stick working scratching his belly. I always try and pull them in a circle. If the bull scares you enough to run you out of the pen then it is to late. Again either sell him or hire someone to halter break him. I recommend halter breaking because it teaches them who is boss without having to beat them which may make them worse.

He will learn respect by a hard crack across the nose with a large stick. Problem with trying to teach a bull this size is he will have one of two responses: 1) back off and look at you a bit differently or 2) get ticked and take you out. If you can't teach this guy manners through leading him I would find a different, younger bull and start over. He doesn't appear to be mean but if you try to push back now he may snap and then you are dead. Not worth it IMO.

I do not normally advocate smacking any animal with anything but in this case if you fail to hit the nose it will have zero effect. In this case no matter what you do you will never be able to trust him. Say goodbye and start over.

sorry I disagree with everyone on here
you have made this animal have no respect for you buy letting him get away with this doesn't matter if he is playing or not
This animal needs to be gone
the tame ones that have no respect of you and your space are the ones that will hurt you the fastest because they think you are playing
I can't beleive all of you guys telling this guy to try and teach him respect
the damage has been done and the bull needs to leave

this bull can and will hurt you

Don't treat them like pets
I guess all of you forgot what you said awhile back when someone posted about the man getting gored by the mini hereford

This bull needs to leave

that sure is a nice set up for a bull. Maybe you wife's next husband will enjoy it too.

novatech":3vhywuaq said:
If the bull scares you enough to run you out of the pen then it is to late.
Angus Cowman":3vhywuaq said:
you have made this animal have no respect for you buy letting him get away with this doesn't matter if he is playing or not
This animal needs to be gone

The reason for my recommendation

As some of you know, I go to school 5 hours away from where my cows are at. If I were to market every cow that ran around like that when they saw me I wouldn't have any cows.

Even some of my best disposition cows will react the same way as the bull in the first video when I take them to a new pasture or pen, or put out a round bale.

If you do decide to keep him, you need to learn to respect them and keep your distance. I wouldn't be petting him at all, and would keep a good eye on him. But you should do that with any bull.

I definitely agree with Jeanne, you are totally teasing him when you are smacking his head. Whatever you do be safe!

Latest posts