lively hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

seems to b alot of maybe's here.maybe u can teach him 2 respect u and u will have a good bull for years.maybe u try and he hurts or kills u.seems like a no brainer to me.i am sure many of u have seen the show about the so called tame bull that killed its owner and then continued to trample him and no one even found the guy until the next day.all this was after the bull had already seriously injured him once.i bet if he had a do-over he would choose more wisely.

KNERSIE":11phtoh2 said:
I could only watch the first few seconds before it froze, but what I see is a playfull bull who is bored being penned up. Sure he can still hurt you badly in the process, but an agressive bull looks very different from this.

My first impression too! What does the bull keep looking at is what I would like to know.

We could do a better assessment if you set your camera on something and video yourself inside the pen with him. :)

How about this. I agree on setting the camera where it videos more of the action and after you are no longer with us you have your wife post the video of you in there reasoning with the bull while he throws you around like a rag.

You asked for advice and like so many before you, you will do what you want anyway....Buena suerte amigo y vaya con Dios :wave:

HE seems to be playing, but you can get hurt by him.
A good whack on the nose with a good stick should stop him.
He may stop or it my irritate him. Like you did in the video, go the fence and when he starts the butting behavior towards you whack him. And either he will stop or if he keeps it up then you know that he needs to go. This way you will not be in the pen if the whackign makes him angry.
But someone stated earlier, any cow or bull will act like this when penned up.

My brahman and nelore heifers are super gentle and I can rub them everywhere and even lay down on the them. But if they get to close and I do not want them near me I will hit them on the nose and they know to get back.
BUlls are alot harder to teach that you are boss. When they get it in their head that they are in control then there is really nothing you can do.

I don't see what the big deal is. Turn him out to pasture or build a whole lot bigger pen so you NEVER have to go in there with him. I don't like being in DAILY close quarters with any bovine if I can help it. You are a farmer/rancher NOT a zookeeper!

This bull does not have a temperament problem - he has an owner problem. No, he won't pass a bad temperament to his calves (by what I saw) because he doesn't have a bad temperament. You are afraid of him, you are not the boss, and I don't think you will ever be the boss of any bull. And, yes, he WILL hurt you - he might be playing, but you cannot "play" with a bovine. They will hurt you bad.

Angus Cowman":39j5jr67 said:
sorry I disagree with everyone on here
you have made this animal have no respect for you buy letting him get away with this doesn't matter if he is playing or not
This animal needs to be gone
the tame ones that have no respect of you and your space are the ones that will hurt you the fastest because they think you are playing
I can't beleive all of you guys telling this guy to try and teach him respect
the damage has been done and the bull needs to leave

this bull can and will hurt you

Don't treat them like pets
I guess all of you forgot what you said awhile back when someone posted about the man getting gored by the mini hereford

This bull needs to leave

:clap:

You made some mistakes with your big white faced dog. Learn and let him go. :wave:

3waycross":3jaa5uqa said:
How about this. I agree on setting the camera where it videos more of the action and after you are no longer with us you have your wife post the video of you in there reasoning with the bull while he throws you around like a rag.

Could earn his widow a nice check from America's Funniest Home Videos . . .

CPL":2xovo9gx said:
As some of you know, I go to school 5 hours away from where my cows are at. If I were to market every cow that ran around like that when they saw me I wouldn't have any cows.

Even some of my best disposition cows will react the same way as the bull in the first video when I take them to a new pasture or pen, or put out a round bale.

Holy Moses . . . you need some new cows! Prices are up . . . . take em all to market so you have no cows . . . take the check to the bank and buy when the prices fall. Financial wizardry and a lot better cows.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":31tg844m said:
This bull does not have a temperament problem - he has an owner problem. No, he won't pass a bad temperament to his calves (by what I saw) because he doesn't have a bad temperament. You are afraid of him, you are not the boss, and I don't think you will ever be the boss of any bull. And, yes, he WILL hurt you - he might be playing, but you cannot "play" with a bovine. They will hurt you bad.
you are quite right it is the owner that is the problem. I will be the first to admit that i have alot to learn but i will not learn that by chucking the towel in and giving up. obviously i'm not from a farming background and i dont do this as a job but i still have the same intentions as everyone else, to produce good cattle. everyone on here must have come across problems through out there time raising cattle. some people just get on with it and other ask for advice ( me ).
djinwa":31tg844m said:
We could do a better assessment if you set your camera on something and video yourself inside the pen with him. :)
took another video today and he was quieter. not given him any barley for the last 2 days which has made a difference.

Sporder wroter: "i will not learn that by chucking the towel in and giving up"

No - you won't learn that way - you'll learn like the rest of us - by making mistakes and listening to advice and learning from those mistakes. Just because you move on from this bull doesn't mean you're chucking in the towel - it might mean you've made some mistakes, you've learned, and it might be time to move on. Some mistakes can be expensive and unfortunate, but don't make another mistake (in my opinion) and keep a bull that has become so excessively tame and "playful" that you find yourself on the ground under his crown gasping for your last breath.

Sir, I don't know you and I am new to cattle that are mine. I grew up around dairy cows. That bull is playing but...in animals their play prepares them for life. The video showed him lowering his head at you which my understanding is an aggressive move. Although done in play he is telling you that he is the lead dog in the pack and he just put you in your place asa submissive animal. That bull WILL kill you not if but when, if you don't listen to what these "Gurus" have told you. I have asked questions on here about similiar cattle issues. I followed the advice from the "Gurus" and the "Mentors". These folks have been handling, training, showing and breeding cattle long before I was born and I am 42. When they I should ship one it goes quick! You can always buy another bull or raise one. Yes I like my cattle gentle but they MUST have a "FEAR" of me. That FEAR is respect.

The choice is yours...listen or get hurt or killed. The day will come when you are preoccupied focused on something else and before you know it that bull will have you down using that head to drive your belly button to the back bone. I know I would not want my son or wife to find me after something like that.

1200 pounds of play and 1 inch thick skull on that bull...you weigh what 180? Easy choice...sell him and get another one after you educate yourself on how to handle cattle. I say that because I did. Read on here asked questions here talked to older farmers at home and researched the internet. Learned.

Some lessons you can't afford to learn and must just listen and do.

You Sir have created this problem by letting this bull come close to you and rubbing and scruffing him on the head as if he is a dog
I don't want any of my bulls close enough for me to touch unless they are in an alley and I am working on them
example I was feeding hay this morning had a 3 yr old bull come running to the truck I hollered at him and he stopped and stayed about 10 ft away until I finshed taking the wrap off of the bale

feeding another group and the bull was at the bale when I got to the back of the truck I hollered and wave my arm at him and he walked off about 10 ft and stayed until I was done

they know if they get close to me they are gonna get a smack or popped with a bull whip
I am the dominate bull in the pasture

THYE ARE NOT PETS AND THEY CAN KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you have lots of life insurance

Angus Cowman":2qaw82i2 said:
You Sir have created this problem by letting this bull come close to you and rubbing and scruffing him on the head as if he is a dog
I don't want any of my bulls close enough for me to touch unless they are in an alley and I am working on them
example I was feeding hay this morning had a 3 yr old bull come running to the truck I hollered at him and he stopped and stayed about 10 ft away until I finshed taking the wrap off of the bale

feeding another group and the bull was at the bale when I got to the back of the truck I hollered and wave my arm at him and he walked off about 10 ft and stayed until I was done

they know if they get close to me they are gonna get a smack or popped with a bull whip
I am the dominate bull in the pasture

THYE ARE NOT PETS AND THEY CAN KILL YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope you have lots of life insurance

Amen. The only reason this bull is a problem is because he has been allowed to take the dominance. He has essentially turned into a "dairy" type bull with is attitude because he has no respect for you and has reached the age where he sees you as both competition and a nuisance. Short of having a "Come to Jesus" you have no chance of reversing this behavior.

Thank you for your advice and i am by no means disregarding any of it. I posted this topic to get feed back from those of you that have experienced this problem, which you have given. As you have all said no bull is a tame bull and trust none of them. The problem is with me trying to get too close when i have no need to. If i had posted a video of this bull out in the field with the cows calm and unstressed then i may have got a different response. its almost better to know that a bull will kill you rather than trusting him untill its too late. I posted the video because i do have concerns, before with the bull but with me now. I need to leave the bull to do his job. He has never jumped a gate nor gone through a fence and has settled everything put to him. I could go and buy another bull and get the same problem or go AI but i have found that heifers dont always stick first time which puts calving out of sink. This bull does have good ebvs and his first calves will be on the ground in 3-4 weeks. based on how good/bad they are this bulls future is on hold.

sporder":14ejy18f said:
I could go and buy another bull and get the same problem
The only problem with this logic is that it means you didn;t learn anything

when i brought this bull from a very reputable breeder he was lead out on the halter stood for 10 minutes then was lead around the yard several times. again he was haltered while we looked at other possible bulls ( at the time i posted pics of the possible bulls and most of you on here also picked this bull ). we came back to him lead him round again and then put him back in shed. no sign at all that he may be like this. so my question is now, if i get rid of this bull how can i ensure that it wont happen again. They dont always jump around when asked. what is it that i can learn from this other than never trust a bull ( which we all know ). I nor anyone else can predict what a bull will do, we can only look for the signs. there are people on here that will walk amongst there bulls. even though they are more experienced it is still not the thing to do.

sporder, I dont think you bought a bull that had a problem, the only problem was he got the upper hand on you. I bought a bull that was halter broke and showed as well and when I brought him home he would like to get closer to me than I liked and It seemed that a boot to the nose a couple times seemed to work, now he seems to respect my space when Im around,I also dont pen my bull up for 6 or 7 months out of the year, before the first calf is born I pull him and he is only penned up for about 2 and a half months not really sure if that makes a difference or not.

sporder,

I am going to say ditto on the advice to ship the bull. One o the worst things that you can do with a bull is rub his head. I suspect that this bull had alot of head-rubbing when he was a little tyke being halter broke and associates that with playing. This bull didn't look aggressive in a mean way it looked more like he was wanting to play with you like he was probably played with as a young bull. Don't rub his head. A 2 year old bull can kill you just playing. I think it may be too late to break him from wanting to play. He sees you as a herd-mate and not as a dominant human. I would ship him and buy a pasture raised bull that respects your space. Some of the worst snot blower, head shakers that I hve seen have been halter broke show bulls. They have had too much close human interaction. Please, please, please do this before it is too late. Remember it may not be you that gets hurt but some unsuspecting person who doesn't know. Possibly a child. It is not worth it.

Latest posts