Litter and lime spreader

Help Support CattleToday:

Ebenezer

Reaction score
Anybody ever used a Stolzfus spreader? A fellow told me about them last night. Looks like they are heavy built. I know there are other brands: Warren, BBI, Chandler. Is there a lot of difference on quality, needed maintenance, resale value, function, ...between the brands? What options would be most useful beyond the base models?
Thanks.

https://www.stoltzfusspreaders.com/

From the pics they look good. The key is to keep them clean, greased and oiled....These have a good wide drag chain that will work good for wet lime/litter.....

bFEZxV2.jpg

The do look good. I asked about hills and slopes and they have a low profile spreader they recommend. I do not like unneeded excitement! Chandler and BBI are close. I always wonder if that is a consideration for parts.

I just bought a BBI about 2 weeks ago. It has the 20" chain. All hydraulic drive, no pto. It is made for Fertalizer and lime. Not liter, but I'm sure they are similar. Really like it so far. Have only spread around 1000 acres of 0-50-60, 80' spread really speeds things up.

Yes I use one for lime. Its getting some age on it now, no real issues - except the cylinder that holds the little tire against the main tires to drive the chain has been bent and patched up a couple times over the years. I never found it great for granular fertilizer. I use a wilmar for that.

Whatever model you chose make sure you have a loader capable of holding tote bags over it nicely, or a pit/ramp. Reaching under ton tote bags to open them is sketchy business the best of times. Been meaning to make a knife on a pole for reaching under.

Supa Dexta":cqtksbxi said:
Yes I use one for lime. Its getting some age on it now, no real issues - except the cylinder that holds the little tire against the main tires to drive the chain has been bent and patched up a couple times over the years. I never found it great for granular fertilizer. I use a wilmar for that.

Whatever model you chose make sure you have a loader capable of holding tote bags over it nicely, or a pit/ramp. Reaching under ton tote bags to open them is sketchy business the best of times. Been meaning to make a knife on a pole for reaching under.

Yep, last year I had one, as I was toting it to the spreader with forks, break a strap and with the sudden breakage, the bag disintegrated and I had a ton of fertilizer to shovel up. Reaching under there to unstrap is like walking under some of these dead ash trees as I have to do it bout everyday to fix a fence falling limbs have taken out.

pallets under all my tote bags, i'd need a forklift to lift them up high enough with the straps to load them in a spreader.

I tilt the bags, slice the length around the bottom front, then one down the front up/down... then tip it with the loader.. most will go in and only a little wil be left at the bottom.. then you can just tip it up with your hand and get teh rest in.

i can choose cardboard boxes over the tote bags if I want.. ive been buying them that way because you can just cut hte cardboard and open up a flap.. works pretty good.. then when its almost empty you can just pick up the entire box (bottom is seperate).. and it'll all fall in.

Latest posts