Liquid lime?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
Has anyone used a product called liquid lime? There is a guy out of Ashville that is selling it and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. Http:Knoxville.craigslist.org/grq/49400071832.html. The cost per acre is close to regular lime. To apply you mix it 1:30 and spray 30 gallons of the mix to an acre. I have several acres that are too steep for a lime truck. Right now I have to use a cyclone spreader and pellitized lime at $140 a ton, so the liquid would be much cheaper if it works.

The cost/acre may be similar to regular lime, but it can't be nearly as effective. 30 gallons per acre sounds like peeing in the ocean. I wasn't able to click on the link, what sort of data do they provide? If I'm usually spreading around a ton or so of regular lime per acre, I'm not sure how 30 gallons of anything can have much affect? Sounds interesting, but maybe too good to be true. If it worked that well and for the same cost, ag lime would be obsolete.

If it works, I'd like to try it. Sounds like you'd be putting 1 gallon per acre. Thats not a lot of calcium, no matter how concentrated it is. Of course, a ton of lime is not all calcium, theres carbon and oxygen to. Not all the calcium would be soluable, even at that.

One thing with a lime application is it breaks down over time. If it worked I think it would only be temporary.

ga.prime":3tl1joqf said:
I put that in the same category as spreading a gallon of rabbit manure tea over an acre. Snake oil.

I have to agree with you. Did you know one of the biggest shams ever put over on the American public was adding water to tooth powder and creating tooth paste. Used to, a box of tooth powder would do a person a year. Just look at how many tubes of tooth paste you go through each year. If you notice, they are trying to do the same with laundry detergent as well.

why not just have ag lime dumped and use that to spread? it would be far cheaper.

ddd75":3r82l9d8 said:
why not just have ag lime dumped and use that to spread? it would be far cheaper.

That is what grandpa did years ago and would spread it with a five gallon bucket. I have neither the time or energy to do this. I wonder if I could pawn off lugging a five gallon bucket of lime up and down steep hills as a workout in an all natural gym to city folk? Guaranteed to get you in the best shape of your life in a weeks time or less. I would even be nice enough to not charge them for it. :lol:

This isn't regular ag lime put into water. Or at least the stuff I have dealt with isn't. It is very extremely finely ground lime. And lime works based on surface area. The finer it is ground the more surface area there is. So the lighter application does work. But it is not issue free. It likes to settle to the bottom of the spray tank and is very difficult to clean out. You are putting rocks (be they fine ground rocks) through a system designed to pump liquid. The people I know who use it have a separate sprayer that they just use for the liquid lime. That mixture doesn't sound right. I know the liquid lime I have seen is very heavy. Something like 27 pounds per gallon.

hillbilly beef man":2ldgsphl said:
Has anyone used a product called liquid lime? There is a guy out of Ashville that is selling it and I was wondering if anyone has tried it. Http:Knoxville.craigslist.org/grq/49400071832.html. The cost per acre is close to regular lime. To apply you mix it 1:30 and spray 30 gallons of the mix to an acre. I have several acres that are too steep for a lime truck. Right now I have to use a cyclone spreader and pellitized lime at $140 a ton, so the liquid would be much cheaper if it works.

It is a joke a ton is a ton no matter how you weigh it.
If your land calls for a ton per acre you are not getting it out of a snake oil jug.
This is physics and chemistry 101.

Caustic Burno":ulvz9vu1 said:
hillbilly beef man":ulvz9vu1 said:

If your land calls for a ton per acre you are not getting it out of a snake oil jug.
I suppose next you're going to tell us that a ton of lead isn;t heavier then a ton of feathers!

dun":2tqcpsp4 said:
Caustic Burno":2tqcpsp4 said:
hillbilly beef man":2tqcpsp4 said:

I suppose next you're going to tell us that a ton of lead isn;t heavier then a ton of feathers!

No Dun they are selling these joke jugs of lime and fertilizer whole jug weighs about 30 pounds.
The sales pitch is you are saving money by using this over conventional lime as all of this is taken
in by the plant..
If you poured out the jug on one acre you still don't have 30 pounds of lime as it has been liquefied with water.
It is a smoke and mirror product.

It's just like engines, there's on replacement for displacement.
We've alyays had those things that are supposed to take the place of Lime, N, P, & K. They won't do it.
If you want to grow tons of things you have to apply tons of things.

Caustic Burno":2vjaspad said:
hillbilly beef man":2vjaspad said:

That is a yes and no answer. A ton is still a ton. But when it comes to lime not all tons are equal. A ton of lime that is in one single rock is not the same as a ton of finely ground lime. Lime works based on surface area. The finer your grind it the more surface area there is. The more surface area there is the less lime you need to effect the soil pH. So states developed a lime score by which lime is sold. One of the troubles is there is something like 36 different rules on lime score around the country. What equals a 100 lime score in one state might only be a 85 score in another state or a 120 in yet another state. The lime they are putting into liquid is extremely finely ground. So if you are putting on 30 gallons per acre that weighs 30 pounds per gallon that is 900 pounds. The 30 gallons of water weighs approximately 224 pounds. That means the 30 gallons contains 676 pounds of lime. Will 676 pounds of extremely finely ground lime raise your soil pH? Yes. The question is by how much? I have seen studies that were run using good science on this subject. The results are pretty interesting. It isn't all snake oil. I imagine that some people are marketing it in a snake oil manner. It is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Nothing new there. But there is enough science behind it to show that it can be done.

I used to work for a fertilizer plant that sold liquid lime. We would apply 200 gallons per acre that was 50-50 water and basically lime dust. This lime had an ENP (effective neutralizing power) of 2000 in a ton. Our typical aglime had an ENP of 1000 in 1 ton of lime. Our high quality washed lime (granular, dry) had an enp of 1500 per ton. The best lime out of Iowa, where the white barn lime comes from is 1500-1700 enp/ton. So with 200 gpa of liquid lime we got the equivalent of 1 ton of regular lime but was very fine so very fast acting, short lasting. 1-2 yrs max. The regular lime would last 3-5 years but at lower percentages each year. Liquid lime is a great product but expensive. The more of the real stuff you can apply (frequency and tonnage) the better and cheaper. Like the other poster said, to harvest tons you need to feed in tons. The other benefit with what we used was the liquid lime was calcium based, not magnesium based, and growing alfalfa and soybeans our soils needed the calcium. Both will raise pH, but which element does your soil also need. Some used gypsum to get the benefit of the sulfur also.

Dave":2d8pw8tw said:
Caustic Burno":2d8pw8tw said:
hillbilly beef man":2d8pw8tw said:

That is a yes and no answer. A ton is still a ton. But when it comes to lime not all tons are equal. A ton of lime that is in one single rock is not the same as a ton of finely ground lime. Lime works based on surface area. The finer your grind it the more surface area there is. The more surface area there is the less lime you need to effect the soil pH. So states developed a lime score by which lime is sold. One of the troubles is there is something like 36 different rules on lime score around the country. What equals a 100 lime score in one state might only be a 85 score in another state or a 120 in yet another state. The lime they are putting into liquid is extremely finely ground. So if you are putting on 30 gallons per acre that weighs 30 pounds per gallon that is 900 pounds. The 30 gallons of water weighs approximately 224 pounds. That means the 30 gallons contains 676 pounds of lime. Will 676 pounds of extremely finely ground lime raise your soil pH? Yes. The question is by how much? I have seen studies that were run using good science on this subject. The results are pretty interesting. It isn't all snake oil. I imagine that some people are marketing it in a snake oil manner. It is not the greatest thing since sliced bread. Nothing new there. But there is enough science behind it to show that it can be done.

No matter how you grind it or crush it a pound of lime is a pound.
A pound of water is a pound of water not lime they are spraying on your field.
The quarry we buy from scores 99. So when I buy a ton of lime I got a ton of lime .
No need to buy free water.

Caustic Burno No matter how you grind it or crush it a pound of lime is a pound. A pound of water is a pound of water not lime they are spraying on your field. The quarry we buy from scores 99. So when I buy a ton of lime I got a ton of lime . No need to buy free water.[/quote said:
Would you say that a gallon of oil is a gallon of oil no matter how it has been refined? I doubt it. The end product can vary greatly. So it is with lime. There is a huge difference in how lime will react in the soil based on how fine it is ground. The water is simply the means to carry the lime. A pound is just a measurement of weight not of the effectiveness of the lime. And it is absolutely a fact that the finer the lime is ground the more effective it is.

Dave":1jjef5pz said:
Caustic Burno No matter how you grind it or crush it a pound of lime is a pound. A pound of water is a pound of water not lime they are spraying on your field. The quarry we buy from scores 99. So when I buy a ton of lime I got a ton of lime . No need to buy free water.[/quote:1jjef5pz said:
Would you say that a gallon of oil is a gallon of oil no matter how it has been refined? I doubt it. The end product can vary greatly. So it is with lime. There is a huge difference in how lime will react in the soil based on how fine it is ground. The water is simply the means to carry the lime. A pound is just a measurement of weight not of the effectiveness of the lime. And it is absolutely a fact that the finer the lime is ground the more effective it is.

Dave no catalytic reaction took place changing the lime molecule it is still a pound of lime.
Your solution is by dilution adding water to increase the volume. You bought water.
As far as oil goes a pound is a pound as well, through catalytic reaction in a complex refinery
you can convert 7.5 barrels to 10 by volume through changing the molecular structure of the hydrocarbon the 10 still weighs the
same as the 7.5 as nothing was added. If you want to look it up it is called fluffing the barrel.
The total volume of products made from crude oil based origins is 48.43 gallons on average – 6.43 gallons greater than the original 42 gallons of crude. It is still 100% hydrocarbon.
Not CaO+ H20 is still not all lime.

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/External.Fi ... lwZT0z&t=1