Linebreeding Info

Help Support CattleToday:

Here's a Mother-son heifer.. I find her a little lacking in the oomph, a bit framy, but I think she'll be a good cow

The one I really like, 3/4-7/8th sibling mating

full sibling mating with momma

Thought I'd dig this thread back up...
Calf in the picture above is now a cow, I think she did alright!.. Her calf is 206 days old in the pic

The other heifer I really liked (Hera) did well too, The one that was a bit framy (Copy) didn't breed back in a timely fashion and looked way too thin (she may have had something going on in her mouth preventing her from eating well, but wasn't going to bother with her)

Here's Hera and her steer calf.. this was from August

Sire of the calves is Hector (3/4 sibling to most of the mommas)

One thing i think that gets over looked when trying to produce a"type" and consistancy is the degree of relatedness(inbred coefficient )of the females to each other.
To me prepotency isnt about homozygous genes it is about passing desireable traits/characteristics on to its offspring at a higher then the statistical average .
In theory each grandparent contributes 25 percent of the genetic make up of a grand child . Very rarely if ever is this true. Some may contribute as little as 5%
Meaning one grand parent could have passed on as much as 30-45% of the genitic make up of a grandchild to me that is prepotency. Especially if the higher percentage of traits are those that are desireable.

Latest posts