Linebreeding Basics

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
I thought I would try to pick brains from all the proponents of linebreeding on here about some of the very basics of the practice. Please dont make this another topic to discuss the pros and cons of it or start crying if someone doesnt like the way you do it. Here's what I need to learn. Please keep in mind where I come from. My first foray in genetics was in the show world of dairy, which is basically outcross central.

1. How do you go about determining and acquiring the initial gene-pool that fits your demands and desires?

2. How do you know when you are fighting a winning or losing battle? In other words, isnt there just as good a chance that you are increasing negative traits at the same rate as the desired improvements?

3. When and how, if ever, do you decide to stir the pot and introduce some fresh blood?

I'm sure I have 100 more questions but maybe this will get the ball rolling.

Perhaps I have no business answering this question, since I don't believe I have reached a point yet where intensive line breeding could be beneficial to me. I have had commercial cattle for 18 years. I do keep bulls out of some of my best cows and that does result in some line breeding, but it is not my intention to line breed, just for the sake of line breeding.

1.I believe you need to first determine what lines work best in your environment before you start a line breeding program. There aren't any real shortcuts. You can see what others in your area have had success with, but it will take some trial and error. When you have found some cattle that meet the requirements you have set for yourself, you can begin line-breeding them to hopefully create a herd of animals that will look and breed in a similar manner.

2.Yes there is just as good a chance that you will increase the bad traits as the good ones. Considering Murphys Law, there is likely even a better chance of finding the bad rather than the good. Line breeding will require you to cull ruthlessly those that display the bad traits, until you hopefully reach the point where you are consistently finding the traits you desire. Your goal should be a herd of consistent cattle that work in your environment. You will try to eliminate the outliers. That will include both the ones that produce less than expected and those that produce much more.

3.I believe the goal of line breeding is to establish a herd of cattle that look and breed in a similar predictable manner. Thinking about out-crossing, before you have even begun seems counterproductive.

artesianspringsfarm":2tkrjwk8 said:
I thought I would try to pick brains from all the proponents of linebreeding on here about some of the very basics of the practice. Please dont make this another topic to discuss the pros and cons of it or start crying if someone doesnt like the way you do it. Here's what I need to learn. Please keep in mind where I come from. My first foray in genetics was in the show world of dairy, which is basically outcross central.

1. How do you go about determining and acquiring the initial gene-pool that fits your demands and desires?
Experience. Using what closest fits your demands and desires as the foundation. This will result in increased familiarity with your own stock. .

2. How do you know when you are fighting a winning or losing battle? In other words, isnt there just as good a chance that you are increasing negative traits at the same rate as the desired improvements?

Take a look at a 10 or 20 year old sire directory. Very few have any lasting influence. Why? If the elite selections worthy of AI use have such a high failure rate, there has got to be a better way. That is taking chances. That is the mixing of what we think we know to produce something different that we think we need. Ever changing. Is that a winning or losing battle? If continual change is the goal, this mixing and testing is essential.

Line breeding is about making them more alike with increasing regularity. It is not chance, it is about gaining genetic control. Positive and negatives are under the control of your selection.

3. When and how, if ever, do you decide to stir the pot and introduce some fresh blood?

All is lost in one cross, so fresh blood in seed stock is starting over, but reinventing the wheel is human nature. We all think we can change it and make it better. Some can.

I'm sure I have 100 more questions but maybe this will get the ball rolling.

If you want to line breed, you should probably select bulls from the cows that are in the top 5% of your cow herd. You should then breed these bull calves to their half siblings and cousins. You will have some of the negative traits show up in a few of the offspring, but quite a few of the calves will be superior to their parents.