limping calf help

Help Support CattleToday:

R-E

Reaction score
Ive got a new calf that is 4 days old. I saw it limping yesterday and the knee part of its front left leg is swollen. Any advice on what I should do. I am planning on taking it to the vet tom. morning.

Sounds like you are doing as you should taking it to the vet. I would discourage the use of anti-inflammatory meds or any pain type killers. Most of the time they mask the pain. The calf with then over-do it and cause further damage. Pain is the body's way of saying "Be careful, slow down" etc. If possible isolate the calf with mom till your vet is able to advise you.

More than likely your vet will give a shot of a broad spectrum antibiotic and an anti inflammatory after a diagnoses of nothing broken.

Calves at that age are also to young to over do it , they do not have the musculature or the capabilities to over do anything.

jerry27150":2bvcayl7 said:
i would guess at that age somebody may have stepped on it.

That is what the vet thinks. Nothing appears to be broken so that is good, but there was a little fever in the shoulder area of the leg. The vet thinks the calf laid down too close to a round bale and got stepped on. He gave the calf a shot of anti inflammatory and a antibiotic shot so hopefully it will be 100% in a few days (swelling is already going down). I have the calf and it mother penned up in a holding pen to keep the risk of further injury down. Even with just 3 legs the calf is a fighter and got me with a few pretty good kicks when I was loading it into the trailer sat. morning. Thanks again for all the advice.

R-E":k9gyfqzk said:
Even with just 3 legs the calf is a fighter and got me with a few pretty good kicks when I was loading it into the trailer sat. morning.
Yeah, all the healthy calves that I have had experience with can buck, kick, hop and run by day 2 if not sooner ~ not necessarily graceful, but they get rowdy. :nod: Glad to hear he's on the way to getting better!

Latest posts