Lime and nitrogen

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
A neighbor told me the other day that after you apply lime you should wait 3-6 months before applying nitrogen. P&K are ok to do right a way. He claims that the lime nuetralizes the nitrogen so that it doesn;t do anything. Anybody else ever hear that?

Thanks

Never heard that. Based on my personal observations I do not believe it either. Been told it takes 3-6 months before it will begin to work at its full potential - I do believe that.

My personal observation is that the lime reacts with the N causing it to turn to ammonia which then volitilizes off into the atmosphere. Dump some lime into a manure lagoon and go stand downwind. You will notice real quick what I am talking about.

Dave":1i1x7gya said:
My personal observation is that the lime reacts with the N causing it to turn to ammonia which then volitilizes off into the atmosphere. Dump some lime into a manure lagoon and go stand downwind. You will notice real quick what I am talking about.

So are you saying you should postpone the application of N for 3-6 months in pasture if you put out lime?

I don't know if you need to wait that long (3-6 months) but I sure wouldn't do it at the same time. Because N will move into your soil quicker, if I were wanting to put them both on, I would put the N on first. I would wait until after a good rain or two and then apply lime.
Lime has to physically wash down through the pores in the soil and that takes time. N, especially in the form of nitrate is water soluble and is carried down into the soil very quickly.

dun":gehidsjb said:
A neighbor told me the other day that after you apply lime you should wait 3-6 months before applying nitrogen. P&K are ok to do right a way. He claims that the lime nuetralizes the nitrogen so that it doesn;t do anything. Anybody else ever hear that?

Thanks

Dun, If it were true, I'd be in a lose/lose situation and should never apply N. We have lime leaching out of the hills constantly. Too much of it in this soil.

backhoeboogie":3ddh1mxg said:
dun":3ddh1mxg said:

Thanks

Dun, If it were true, I'd be in a lose/lose situation and should never apply N. We have lime leaching out of the hills constantly. Too much of it in this soil.

We have it leaching out too but it's in particles from baseball size up to truck size.

I saw some new fertilizer this summer. It was called 27,0,0,12. I had never heard of it but the turf farms were buying it up. What it amounts to is perlated ammonium nitrate. The reason it is not 34,0,0 is that it is covered in lime. By perlating it in lime, any trucker is able to haul it without the hazardous endorsements thus reducing the cost of the fertilizer. Also, lime coating it prevents it from melting in our humidity. We also discussed the possible reduction in the need to lime since you would be liming when you put this out. Maybe not that much, but it would still reduce the amount of lime you would need with time. So with that in mind, I don't think lime and nitrogen are going to counter each other outside of a liquid solution as Dave pointed out.

My guess is that lime in a lagoon is not reacting with the nitrogen but probably an acid like sulfuric acid. the Calcium hydroxide in the lime converts the acid to water. I wonder if the smell comes more from sulfur or hydroden than anything to do with nitrogen. :?: The calcium will also replace metal compounds and make those metals settle out in the sludge. (i think) :|

My guess is you would be loosing some of the value of the nitraite. When lime is used to correct the ph balance of the soil, until it's absorbed, the balance is still off. With the balance off, plants can't properly absorb nutrients from the soil. So waiting for the lime to take affect would be more feasible. In a sense, you wont be wasting fertilizer on grass that can't pick it up well.
Just like if you don't ever lime and the soil isn't naturally abundant with it, you'll end up having to throw more and more of the amount of fertilizer than you should to no greater results.

George Monk":24ru1ziy said:
My guess is that lime in a lagoon is not reacting with the nitrogen but probably an acid like sulfuric acid. the Calcium hydroxide in the lime converts the acid to water. I wonder if the smell comes more from sulfur or hydroden than anything to do with nitrogen. :?: The calcium will also replace metal compounds and make those metals settle out in the sludge. (i think) :|

When acids and alkalies react they produce water and a salt, such as sodium chloride, potassium chloride, etc. Used to have a teacher who would combine EXACTLY equal amounts of hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide in a beaker, stir thoroughly, and then drink it. The acid and alkali react to form water and sodium chloride, which is common table salt.

Sure want to measure correctly though!!! OL JR :)

Latest posts