DEF Fluid as source of Nitrogen

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I saw something on the internet that said DEF fluid is a cheap source of nitrogen for lawns. I am just curious if anyone has ever considered this and would it be cost-effective at any point on hay or pasture? Since DEF fluid is essentially just 32-33% urea, how cost-effective would it be to use that as a nitrogen-only fertilizer? You can buy a 55-gallon drum of DEF for $275-300. So, at 32%, The density is 3.5 pounds per gallon.
Of course Urea prices have really dropped during the summer and it is nowhere near where it was last year per ton. So this would not be cost-effective at this point, but when urea was hovering around $900/ ton it might have been. This question is more my curiosity than anything else.

DEF has about a 2 year shelf life so i have wondered if it could be sprayed on grass after that. I think it would have to be mixed with water but would still be very hard on the sprayer but maybe not.

I saw something on the internet that said DEF fluid is a cheap source of nitrogen for lawns. I am just curious if anyone has ever considered this and would it be cost-effective at any point on hay or pasture? Since DEF fluid is essentially just 32-33% urea, how cost-effective would it be to use that as a nitrogen-only fertilizer? You can buy a 55-gallon drum of DEF for $275-300. So, at 32%, The density is 3.5 pounds per gallon.
Of course Urea prices have really dropped during the summer and it is nowhere near where it was last year per ton. So this would not be cost-effective at this point, but when urea was hovering around $900/ ton it might have been. This question is more my curiosity than anything else.
Quickly figuring thats 192.5 lbs of urea per 55 gallon barrell. Isnt urea only 42% Nitrogen? So 80lb of nitrogen per barrel. I normally try to spread about 55 lb of actual Nitrogen per acre to stockpile so a barrel would only cover avout 1.5 acres. So $200 per acre. Not very cost effective at all.

Quickly figuring thats 192.5 lbs of urea per 55 gallon barrell. Isnt urea only 42% Nitrogen? So 80lb of nitrogen per barrel. I normally try to spread about 55 lb of actual Nitrogen per acre to stockpile so a barrel would only cover avout 1.5 acres. So $200 per acre. Not very cost effective at all.
That is why I asked the question. Btw, the spot price for urea is about $265/ton. That is a sight better than the $800-$900/ton two years ago.

How are you getting actual Nitrogen? Ammonium Nitrate is only 34%.

As a kid, we used to load a big Box Truck with a couple of tons of Ammonium Nitrate in the back and it was my job to stay in the truck and scoop it into the 3-point spreader after each trip spreading it. We also used to put it in a 5-gallon bucket with water to chill our drinks. It is a wonder I am even still alive today.

Last edited:
Im betting i cant get a quote of less than $500. But sure will check tomorrow. Check there too
I am going to be tied up for the next 10 days or so, I will check prices when I can. I might ask Scott if he knows. He cuts and rolls my hay. Btw, I think he probably has over 40-50 Jersey steers if you need one. He has moved more in that direction and away from his cow-calf.

Only difference between def and liquid nitrogen used in pivots ect . Is that def is ultra filtered.
It is used to reduce emissions because it is an oxidizer. And increases Oxygen to allow hotter temp burns.
Almost the same mixture that was used to blow up the Oklahoma fed building, and World Trade Center the first time.
Very similar mixture is used in mining all over the world.

46-0-0 is urea formation.

I spread some ammonium nitrate (21-0-0-24) on standing corn with urea a couple weeks ago. Still get a good nitrogen shot and adding sulfur with the AMS. Also put some AMS and potash on some standing soybeans as a trial, and on some hay ground. Hopefully will get enough rain for a second cut, it's just a small patch I rent to square bale.

I am going to be tied up for the next 10 days or so, I will check prices when I can. I might ask Scott if he knows. He cuts and rolls my hay. Btw, I think he probably has over 40-50 Jersey steers if you need one. He has moved more in that direction and away from his cow-calf.
I will start calling around. I dont mind paying up front to get a better price.

I quit selling beef when Covid extended kill dates out a year. Plus feed at $350. But i sure will keep it in mind.
I do need a few Jersey heifers or yiung cows to sell to the local Amish.

Last edited:
Not intending to be crude but I've heard that the closest thing to DEF is actually urine. Do the research on urine as a fertilizer.

A lot cheaper too.

Latest posts