Lim-Flex Color Of Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

IHdonnie

Reaction score
Looking at a Lim-Flex cow that is bred to calve about the time mine are. Cow is black and is bred to a red angus bull. Is there a most likely scenario for what color the calf will be? Nothing against it if its red, but the rest of mine are black (x-bred) and want them all to look similar when they hit the sale ring. I'm just a small timer with not very many cows so its kinda a big deal to my operation.

Thanks.

My guess is a diluted black.
Many of our mixed cattle that are black bred to red or red bred to black end up with a calf that is diluted black, I like to describe it as a DARK chocolate.
We have a pb limo that is this deep chocolate, dam is a pb red and sire was black.

My brother... Describes these dark chocolate calves as black ;)

I think the calf LIKELY would blend with the rest well enough, unless the cow in question has a red gene in her and the calf catches hers, like rbb said.

thanks for the replies. Trying to get ahold of the seller, this will be her third calf so gonna try and find out if shes been bred to a red bull before and what her first two looked like.

I'm really not against red cattle, dont get me wrong. But I have seen firsthand at our local salebarns that groups of calves that look similar in color and size and so on will bring better money.

Depends on your local sale barn, they don't dock you for have a red calf in a group. My local salebarn don't sort out red calves from black calves if they are all consistent.

If the cow is black, she carries no dilution gene. If the bull is pb red angus, it shouldn't carry a dilution gene, either. So, like the first answer, you have a 50:50 chance at black if she carries a red gene, black if she doesn't.

Thanks guys. I like the looks of her and she's local so probably gonna pick her up this weekend if I can get a vet to check her out. Talked to a friend today that works one of the sale barns and he said like was said above by Taurus as long as they are similar in size he will run them in together for me .

Latest posts