Lil' Bella's gone

Help Support CattleToday:

lovethespots

Reaction score
:cry2:
Right after post/update this morning, got her to vet who gave her couple of shots (noonish), don't ask me what now cause I sure don't recall (Still a bit distraught). She perked up, temp went down, guzzled electrolytes and we crossed out fingers. Short lived hope. By 6pm knew it was over and just been waiting for the past hour + for her little body to call it quits.
Did everything we could, including spending money we didn't have on a calf we didn't need but can't say we didn't try, which is somethin' I suppose though I still feel horrible.

I wanted to say THANK YOU so much for all your help, insight, suggestions, and other threads that have given me more information than I could absorb in a week. Should we ever get another bovine project, y'all will be the ones I'll come running to.

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you. :( I sure hope there is an animal heaven. God bless you for trying so hard to save her.

Livestock also means deadstock

It will happen again - move on

[Bez]

lovethespots":s8bhu1uv said:
:cry2:
Right after post/update this morning, got her to vet who gave her couple of shots (noonish), don't ask me what now cause I sure don't recall (Still a bit distraught). She perked up, temp went down, guzzled electrolytes and we crossed out fingers. Short lived hope. By 6pm knew it was over and just been waiting for the past hour + for her little body to call it quits.
Did everything we could, including spending money we didn't have on a calf we didn't need but can't say we didn't try, which is somethin' I suppose though I still feel horrible.

I wanted to say THANK YOU so much for all your help, insight, suggestions, and other threads that have given me more information than I could absorb in a week. Should we ever get another bovine project, y'all will be the ones I'll come running to.

lovethespots, you seem to be a caring person. Those kinds of people make the best cow people. It's true that you must face reality when one gets sick or dies. You have to know when it's best to "fold em" for the animal's and your benefit. However when I quit caring I'll get out of the business. Whether you choose to have another bovine project or not, check in with us occasionally.

I am sorry about Bella, it is heart breaking when you lose one. I too have done everything I could think of to save them, even while running an IV in them they die on you sometimes. I am stubborn too and do not give up until they do. I hope you didn't invest too much money on her to make it a hardship for you and your family.

Sorry she didn't make it. You tried. As I posted in your first thread regarding this calf, some make it and some don't.

With any luck, your next calf will have gotten a bit of a better start in life, and you'll have success with it.

Katherine

For those of you who apparently cannot retain what you read, I took damn good care of that calf. Had her to the vet next day after got her, and then again immediately when noted issues yesterday (yes, on a Sunday so you can imagine the bill on that one). In between I had concerns of course but thanks to folks on this board I followed what I felt was good and knowledgable advice.
And while one may think that I did something inhumane, well I wasn't about to club her in the head and I don't own a gun. She went relatively quickly, and was not in writhing in pain. Her breathing steadily slowed, heart stopped, the end. I was there with her. And if I had the money I would have taken her for autopsy to see what exactly her issues were so I would know more next time, if there is a next time.
So don't condemn or belittle me for trying to do the right thing by helping the lil' gal. I have a sneakin' suspicion there were issues w/lack of colustrum (not my fault, the owner obviously doesn't check his cattle so there's a fine cattleman, eh?), and perhaps prematurity, both uphill battles that I knew from the beginning. Doesn't make it any easier though.
Thank (most of you) for your kind words and yeah, I'll check in periodically. This is a learning experience.

lovethespots":1han6nqt said:
For those of you who apparently cannot retain what you read, I took be nice good care of that calf. Had her to the vet next day after got her, and then again immediately when noted issues yesterday (yes, on a Sunday so you can imagine the bill on that one). In between I had concerns of course but thanks to folks on this board I followed what I felt was good and knowledgable advice.
And while one may think that I did something inhumane, well I wasn't about to club her in the head and I don't own a gun. She went relatively quickly, and was not in writhing in pain. Her breathing steadily slowed, heart stopped, the end. I was there with her. And if I had the money I would have taken her for autopsy to see what exactly her issues were so I would know more next time, if there is a next time.
So don't condemn or belittle me for trying to do the right thing by helping the lil' gal. I have a sneakin' suspicion there were issues w/lack of colustrum (not my fault, the owner obviously doesn't check his cattle so there's a fine cattleman, eh?), and perhaps prematurity, both uphill battles that I knew from the beginning. Doesn't make it any easier though.
Thank (most of you) for your kind words and yeah, I'll check in periodically. This is a learning experience.
I know you did your best to save your calve. Dont mind the rude dude he only knows how to brag about his self and berate others. Some people just dont know any better. Get yourself two older calves that dont need the milk and enjoy them. Cows are good. You have made many friends here.
Tom.

Latest posts