Cough was gone but came back with a warm up in temps

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelly

Reaction score
These early weaned , vaccinated calves I just got in November and have been treated for a cough with Penn. shot the day they came & I put them on Terra crumbles and switched to AS 700 after 10 days. The cough was gone in all of them except an occasional cough out of one. They are all eating well and have not went off feed. They do not look droopy or sick.
Now, we had a warm up again in the 40's and the cough is coming back. This is quite frustrating.
Do I need to worry or is this common with weather changes? Do you notice more coughs in the warmer weather?
The vets I have talked to say... call if they get droopy or go off feed.
What do you guys think?

We have a few that get a dry cough while eating, think that the fines in the alflafa trigger the cough. I'd worry if it is a wet cough. IMO all cows cough every so often. Take their temps, it will give you a better idea of what is going on.
DMc

Maybe the calf isn't getting enough water or its allergic to something. I don't think its a big deal to worry bout unless it gets so bad they stop eating or drinking. Keep an eye on it. See if it gets worse of gets better.

Latest posts