Lightening strike!

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I got a call from one of my family members they heard on the radio that a group of high school students were running inbetween buildings when lightening struck a tree, and they were all struck to different degrees. My son goes there, so of course I kind of was worried. He wasn't involved. However one of the girls had to be taken to the hospital, and the rest they said had burns on their feet. How scary is that?

GMN

That certainly is scary. As I get older I have more and more respect for nature. But when I was that age I would have thought nothing of a lightening storm even if someone had warned me about being outside in the storm. Not that I was a daredevil just an invincible kid as most kids are. I sure am glad that no one was permanently injured or killed. I am sure everyone in that school district learned something today even if it was not in the curriculum.

Been there, done that.

In a lightning storm, the safest place is anywhere away from me. When I see lightning or hear thunder, I head for cover quick. Seems that I am a magnet for lightning.

I hope they are alright and not burned. I got struck several years ago while in the rafters of a barn hunting a leak. All I remember is a bright light engulfed me then waking up on the ground. For 10 minutes or so I felt like I was in the twilight zone cause all my circuits were messed up.

My son got home from school yesterday, said that the lightening hit the tree next to the cafeteria, and went down the tree, into the ground, where it burned a hole in the asphalt, where the kids were at. One of his friends was in the group, his face was numb and his back hurt. No major injuries, just scrapes from falling down, and burns on the feet. The girl who went to the hospital went with her parents, just to get checked out. Possible nerve issues. I think it shook them all up. There were a few kids ahead of the group, that heard it and saw it, and just were so scared that they just ran for their lives.

Gail

where in mo was that at I didn't here the news last nite but we did have quite a bit of thunder and lightening was at marshfield clipping some patures and we had hail twice just for a few minutes at a time about the size of peas
Glad to hear they are all ok
seen lightening strike a horse one time it wasn't pretty

Angus Cowman":12jbeu4s said:
where in mo was that at I didn't here the news last nite but we did have quite a bit of thunder and lightening was at marshfield clipping some patures and we had hail twice just for a few minutes at a time about the size of peas
Glad to hear they are all ok
seen lightening strike a horse one time it wasn't pretty

This was in Buffalo Mo, a freak thing, just like the tornado that went thru in Spring.

Gail

i for 1 dont even like working out in lighting.but ill do it if i have to.an i be as careful as i can.so glad that the kids are ok.you know it had to scare emm pretty bad when it was over.

Jogeephus":1o75x7yh said:
I hope they are alright and not burned. I got struck several years ago while in the rafters of a barn hunting a leak. All I remember is a bright light engulfed me then waking up on the ground. For 10 minutes or so I felt like I was in the twilight zone cause all my circuits were messed up.

Glad you came out of it OK, Jo, but I gotta say the comment about your circuits does explain a few things I've been wondering about. ;-)

Latest posts