Lighting Strike

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Got the big hickory by my barn in yesterday's storm. It fried half the leaves off and blew roots out at the ground. Hate to loose that hickory not many get as big here.

I hate to see a beautiful tree like that hit. I suspect it might be killed.

Is that a shell bark hickory? They are disappearing here. Seems like there is a disease war against many of our hardwood trees.

Sometimes it kills them, sometimes not. Got a big pine by our old house that has been struck at least twice over the decades...blows big chunks of bark off each time from the instant steam buildup under the outer bark. It's still green.
White oaks and live oaks seem to survive it pretty good but red oaks not so much.

greybeard said:
Sometimes it kills them, sometimes not. Got a big pine by our old house that has been struck at least twice over the decades...blows big chunks of bark off each time from the instant steam buildup under the outer bark. It's still green.
White oaks and live oaks seem to survive it pretty good but red oaks not so much.

Come on GB. Everyone knows lightning doesn't strike the same place twice! Yeah right. That's an old wives tale. Probably fairly rare. But it happens.

About the live oak. I've never seen one struck around here. Always wondered about that. I had about made up my mind the were safe. But I reckon not.

Ive seen quite a few gumtrees hit here and they never survive. Worst i saw was a huge jarrah tree, about 2 meter diameter, mabe 30 meters tall. It was split like a banana from top to toe and we found bits of wood 400m away. That was so loud i swear my heart moved to the other side of my chest.

Hook2.0 said:
Someone here (I think) was telling me how lightning strikes were moving along a path near them. To the west I think. Something about polarity and shifting poles. The reasoning made sense at the time, but i dont recall the details

I don't know if it has anything to do with the strikes, I get more than normal on top of this hill. I have always wondered there is a lot of iron ore in the hill contributes to it.

Latest posts