Another lighting strike story

Help Support CattleToday:

Deepsouth

Reaction score
where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far n
This morning the news is reporting 33 head struck and killed in the county next to me. I'm a little confused on what happened. They first said two farmers had lost cattle to lighting but then they said that it could not be determined if it was a single strike or multiple strikes. They said one cow was giving birth and was killed.

Has anyone ever seen any studies/evidence why cattle appear (APPEAR) to be more prone to
lightning strikes than other farm animals. Propensity for tree shelter, numbers, just wandering.
While practicing large animal saw several incidents edge of woods along fence-line, but almost never
horse or goat.

wlamarparmer":2haobwat said:
Has anyone ever seen any studies/evidence why cattle appre menesPPEAR) to be more prone to
lightning strikes than other farm animals. Propensity for tree shelter, numbers, just wandering.
While practicing large animal saw several incidents edge of woods along fence-line, but almost never
horse or goat.

We have only lost cows once to lightning. I was a boy. I think it got four. I remember my daddy saying he thought the lightning hit the fence and jumping from the fence to the cows. Your comment about the fence line reminded me of it.

My father lost a pair of mules to lightning when he was young. He had a barn with green bodark (bois d'arc) posts and lightning hit one of the posts and jumped to the mules that were tied to it.
Haven't lost any cattle to lighning but I did get knocked right off a fence I was building when I was 16. It do hurt.

Latest posts