Light

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
So out in the yard in front of the shop there is a light on the power pole. I think those lights were called a Mercury Vapor light. It is 30+ feet up the pole right next to the transformer and the power lines. For 7 1/2 months we have been here it has never worked. I have thought it would be nice to get it working as the place can get pretty dark at night. So yesterday morning I came down the stairs and thought the moon must be bright as I could see shadows outside. No, the light was on. As the sun was coming up it switched off. This morning it was not working once again. Any ideas why?

Dave said:
So out in the yard in front of the shop there is a light on the power pole. I think those lights were called a Mercury Vapor light. It is 30+ feet up the pole right next to the transformer and the power lines. For 7 1/2 months we have been here it has never worked. I have thought it would be nice to get it working as the place can get pretty dark at night. So yesterday morning I came down the stairs and thought the moon must be bright as I could see shadows outside. No, the light was on. As the sun was coming up it switched off. This morning it was not working once again. Any ideas why?

Photocell is on the fritz.
Around here fire ants like to get in the photocell. If it's like the couple here the photocell just plugs in on top.

Hmmmmm it is as high as the tallest ladder I have. But I don't like the idea of leaning a aluminum ladder into all those wires. It is even with the top of the transformer and the wires that run out to the barn are probably 4 feet below it. I am thinking that this is the job for someone with a bucket truck.... like the power company.

Dave said:
Hmmmmm it is as high as the tallest ladder I have. But I don't like the idea of leaning a aluminum ladder into all those wires. It is even with the top of the transformer and the wires that run out to the barn are probably 4 feet below it. I am thinking that this is the job for someone with a bucket truck.... like the power company.

Dave one of mine is owned and maintained by the power company.
It's located on top of the pole as you stated. I pay four or five bucks on my bill for it. Does yours belong to the power company?

I put one on the pole behind my house with a latter in 1991 and have changed the bulb and photocell once since. The power company wanted like $6 then a month to install, so I just done it myself and I am sure it does not burn that much.

If you decide to fix it with a bucket truck, go ahead and spend the extra for an LED setup. You want something where you won't have to mess with it again. The co-op I am on replaces everyone they have to fix.

Add to this subject. Check with your electric company. They may have a program to pay for part of it as the LEDs are way more efficient. If nothing else, I bet they can provide you a source to change it out.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Hire M-5 to change it out, he's not afraid of heights.

easy to change , just hang your climber tree stand on it with a rope tied to a milk crate to pull up your parts . IIve done several that way. The power company LED ones have not been worth a crap here .

Is it hooked up before the meter? If so, it's the power company's baby. If it gets it's power downstream from your meter it's yours. So I guess that would determine the best course of action.

Dave said:
You are probable paying for the light to the power company on your bill each month. Ask them to fix it.

i call the local power coop and they come out and fix mine....after all I am paying them for it....

I ain't no electrical engineer to go up there and fool with that stuff....clumsy as I am I would go to fall and grab a wire and kill everything on the place...

I despise night lights. Any tips on best way to disable one? The easiest way I know is pull up close to it and shoot it with a load of buckshot, but you never know these days if you're being videotaped.

ga.prime said:
I despise night lights. Any tips on best way to disable one? The easiest way I know is pull up close to it and shoot it with a load of buckshot, but you never know these days if you're being videotaped.

If your worried about a camera just get a scoped rifle and do it from a ways away

ga.prime said:

I've been told a 22 works just as well.

ga.prime said:

Like I said above....our yard light is from the power company....electric coop....I pay a small fee every month....if I want it gone I call them and tell them to shut it off.....I sort of like mine..in 32 years it has needed service twice.

ga.prime said:

BB gun or sling shot is quieter

Never thought I would see thug mentality in the destruction of property so openly advocated on this forum....
I console myself that most are typing in jest.

Latest posts