Lice Treatment

Help Support CattleToday:

Cheyenne

Reaction score
Well everyone made it through our week of ice storms and blizzard conditions. However, during this time I noticed the steer was losing patches of hair. I found that he has biting lice. Ughhh.

I got Ivomec today and poured both calves. My question is if this one treatment doesn't completely kill adults and nits how soon can I retreat? The insert just says withdrawl time is 48 days. Should I give it 30 days and see how it goes and retreat then?

You fixed the problem if you followed the application directions.

It would help if you can't detect the case a bit sooner.

Thanks Backhoeboogie, that's what I needed to know. I did follow application directions. I do wish that I had noticed this earlier, but until that first patch of hair came loose I did not see anyother signs of a problem. No excessive scratching, hair still looked good. My heifer calf still looks as she did before, no visible signs. Poured her too just to be on the safe side as they are in the same pen.

What are some other signs I could have noticed that I didn't. Hopefully this won't happen again, but just in case I would like to know. Merck doesn't have a lot to say about it.

Rattler: Thanks it's good to be back. Five days without power was enough for me. It's been a long time since Iowa has been hit with storms like this. No one is used to it anymore, we have been spoiled with fairly mild winters.

Latest posts