Let's See Your Hay Pictures

Help Support CattleToday:

gabby

Reaction score
Here are some of my hay pictures, let's see yours. This is first cutting Coastal and it's a month late but it's a good one.

Just before cutting the field in the background beyond the fence
Hay_before_cutting_1.JPG

Another view just before cutting. The building is the "Cow Palace" where we entertain but now it's full of freshly baled hay
PIC_0828.JPG

Cowbirds showed up to eat the bugs behind the cutter, which is a Vermeer Rebel trailed mower, 10.5 foot cut, 6.5 acres cut per hour
Hay_cutting_birds.JPG

Money time, three days and two fluffs later - raking and baling 3 tons per acre. Bales are 4x6, weighed one and it was 1320 lbs. Hay is fed to the cows in winter with no supplemental feed, my cows don't know what grain is but they are fat anyway
Hay_Raking_2.JPG

Cow Palace in hay storage mode
Hay_in_Cow_Palace.JPG

Scoundrel showed up while I was cutting
Coyote_in_hay_1.JPG

beutiful pics, I would post mine but this site seems too difficult for me to post pics. I used to be able to do it, now I do by sending them to Dun.

Beautiful place Gabby. Unfortunately most of us on here don't have much hay to take pics of. :cry2:

sizmic":4i9gqz3i said:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.139435886088361.17197.100000658525370&l=326a8948d0&type=1

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 5a2&type=1

Sizmic
Looks good Sizmic
I don't have any pics as I was trying to get done cutting but I mowed some Millet today that was as high as thetop of the cab on the tractor
It had less than 10% heads and was leaf all the way to the ground
wife pulled in to fuel me and was standing in the back of the truck trying to find me and I was only 300 ft away

I looked at this field on the 24th of July and it was on average 3-4ft tall
it had 1/2 rain on the 24th and 15/100ths this past sunday
with temps in excess of 100 degrees for the ;ast week it really took off
I am going to bale and wrap it tomorrow as I don't think I would have time for it to dry
I will let ya know the bale count when I get done
I am estimating 5-6ton pr acre but really don't know

Ever use the dwarf pearl millet, thats what I had. We just can't feed that much stalk and lignin in an unchopped crop. Pearl millet of most any kind makes lotsa hay if it gets a little water, ours this year is ready to second cut. Might get 3 cuts this year.

Sizmic

sizmic":wkk5gruz said:
Ever use the dwarf pearl millet, thats what I had. We just can't feed that much stalk and lignin in an unchopped crop. Pearl millet of most any kind makes lotsa hay if it gets a little water, ours this year is ready to second cut. Might get 3 cuts this year.

Sizmic
I haven't tried the dwarf
I didn't get this planted until June 15th so that and no rain is one of the reasons this is the first cutting
What amazed me on this was how small the stalk was compared to other millets I have planted
now and then you would have a large stalk but for the most part they were smaller than my little finger
largest was still smaller than my thumb at the base
this was called
Leafy Green If I remeber correctly

Jogeephus":3b6end7b said:
Gabby, is that a stage in your hay barn?

Yep. Sometimes an old guy on a grey horse does some real bad mounted karaoke there!

All the woodwork is homegrown, homemade southern pine. Tables too. The heavy tables in the background are 4"x28"x14' log slices that I made into long bartop tables. Believe me, heavy is the word.

You have to imagine the old guy on the gigantic 18-hand grey horse doing real bad karaoke.

Stage_1.JPG

Angus Cowman":28nbwdm3 said:
Chuck
Those aren't the same pics you sent me as your truck isn't sitting in the middle of a swamp

did you decide it was easier to park on dry land than water

You mean these?

hay_pics_032.jpg

hay_pics_033.jpg

All I can figure is it got thirsty while I was walking around taking pictures. :D

Latest posts