Let the unrolling begin..

Help Support CattleToday:

chaded

Reaction score
Well actually I won't be feeding hay for a little bit. I haven't had cattle here the entire growing season so the group of heifers I bought at the end of October are working away at quite a bit of fescue.

The past couple years I have experimented with unrolling and bale grazing and for here I prefer unrolling hay. I did it with a EverythingAttachments bale unroller for my tractor. While it is very nice, I am selling it because of the ruts I create with the tractor. I took deliver of this one last night that I will pull with my honda pioneer 1000. It should be a little easier on the pastures.

4CEF7FA5-6489-4950-9664-0DA88F105993.jpeg

I have a similar rig (Hay B Gone), pull it with an 8n Ford. Never leaves a track. My side by side is pretty wimpy.

I have a similar rig (Hay B Gone), pull it with an 8n Ford. Never leaves a track. My side by side is pretty wimpy.

I talked to Greg about a year in a half ago about getting one of these but they did not have a good shipping option and I wasn't driving to Missouri. I then talked to the owner of the Hay B Gone and he said he would be up my way delivering some and was supposed to call me but never did. After that I got the one for the tractor but wasn't happy with tearing the pastures up like I was doing.

Greg now has a good shipping option so I ended up with one of his. The guy delivering had a trailer full and said he had another place in Ohio to drop one off and then several different places in PA. He said he has a trailer load going out next week in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. I guess he's been delivering a lot of them.

I liked seeing the patient cows.
Wondering why the calves are still on them?
How long does it take to feed 2 or 3 of the round bales? Neat that it is easy to get the net wrap
off but it would take 2 people to feed one bale in order to do that, right?
Do you feed that kind of hay all winter?
Thanks for sharing the video. Very interesting.

I'm not bashing Mr Judy, but the one I have, seems easier to use. It's a one man job.
I just went and unrolled a bale with his roller by myself. Not sure why it would take two people honestly. I took the twine off and got going.

Me taking it back afterwards.

9B5E846E-A26B-4601-9CCE-488E884007C2.jpeg

I just went and unrolled a bale with his roller by myself. Not sure why it would take two people honestly. I took the twine off and got going.

Me taking it back afterwards.

View attachment 10209
What size roll? Too hilly here to use the side by side on 4 x 5 rolls. It would pull it, but it wouldn't stop it.

What size roll? Too hilly here to use the side by side on 4 x 5 rolls. It would pull it, but it wouldn't stop it.
5x5.5 is what I measured them at and they are tight. I had my bale on 'backwards' so I ended up having to go up and down the hill several times to get it all unrolled. Did great.

So far I've been very happy with mine

My work schedule keep me from doing it all the time but I wish I could.

Here's one before paint

I was interested in one of Greg's unrollers but the shipping was ugly. Ill have to check out shipping. I bought a bale buggy that looks similar to Bigfoots (dont know manufacture) for cheap last winter which allows me to partially unroll.

We went through a wet period last year and beforehand dumped some bales off along a treeline up a hill. This allowed me and the children to manually unroll fairly easily. I hate rutting up fields compacting soil, so Im sold on this method, it works really well in conjunction with strip grazing.

Last edited:
I was interested in one of Greg's unrollers but the shipping was ugly. Ill have to check out shipping. I bought a bale buggy that looks similar to Bigfoots (dont know manufacture) for cheap last winter which allows me to partially unroll.

We went through a wet period last year and beforehand dumped some bales off along a treeline up a hill. This allowed me and the children to manually unroll fairly easily. I hate rutting up fields compacting soil, so Im sold on this method, it works really well in conjunction with strip grazing.

Did you get a shipping quote for one shipped alone or one being shipped on a full load? There was quite the bit of difference between them when i was quoted. The load price isn't bad.

We went through a wet period last year and beforehand dumped some bales off along a treeline up a hill. This allowed me and the children to manually unroll fairly easily. I hate rutting up fields compacting soil.

Did you get a shipping quote for one shipped alone or one being shipped on a full load? There was quite the bit of difference between them when i was quoted. The load price isn't bad.
I dont recall. I want to say it was over 600?

Latest posts