lesson learned the expensive way

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I sold some calves yesterday thinking they were heavier than what they were which caused a sizable loss. I ordered the scale today I don't want any weight surprises again :(

how bad of a loss did you take.but it all depends on what they weighed and what they brought a lb.

you need to fine tune your eye ball weighing of cattle.i can look at cattle and pretty well tell what they weigh.

bigbull338":2ztuq0uj said:
you need to fine tune your eye ball weighing of cattle.i can look at cattle and pretty well tell what they weigh.

Yea, I am good at judging others cattle weights just not mine.. I figure why take the chance of relying on my eye balling cattle skills when I can buy something that will do it for me ???? With todays prices vs the cost of the scale why play games ?? The scale will also help me tremendously because the small or thin calves I buy it will allow me to weight every 30 days and see how much they are gaining so all around its a good cheap investment that will help.

Sky, that scale says it is for hogs, goats and sheep. Do you think it is big enough? I know it says 1000lb capacity but by the time you add a platform or something will it be enough? I

gus2121":1svyy9e4 said:
Sky, that scale says it is for hogs, goats and sheep. Do you think it is big enough? I know it says 1000lb capacity but by the time you add a platform or something will it be enough? I

gus I sell my calves at 500lbs the platform is going to be 36" x 72 " is what I am planning in my head but that may change. Once you get the platform on you then calibrate it by hitting 0 then putting the animal on there. It is plenty for what I am going to use the scale for. I am not weighing multiple calves just 1 at a time if they meet the weight they continue on to the alley to the trailer if they do not I will have a door in place to cut them out where they can go back into the pasture.

Sky, what were the ages of your calves? I can see being a little off on weight guesstimates, but that seems pretty excessive. I have just the opposite issue... took some calves to the sale last week that I thought would average around 500 and they actually averaged 610!! Good decision on the scales. Ours are broken right now and we will be ordering a new set very soon!

TN Cattle Man":1nhs988c said:
Sky, what were the ages of your calves? I can see being a little off on weight guesstimates, but that seems pretty excessive. I have just the opposite issue... took some calves to the sale last week that I thought would average around 500 and they actually averaged 610!! Good decision on the scales. Ours are broken right now and we will be ordering a new set very soon!

I sold 17 calves some were barn calves not sure of the ages for certain but my herd calves were 6-7 months old.

I'm pretty sure Gus is right though, the 1000 lbs would include the platform. May want to check with them to be certain. It might be worth the extra $150 for the 2200 lb model. You know as soon as you start weighting calves, you're going to want to weigh everything. :D

my buddy just ordered the gallager scales.. 7k lbs I think. He got them for 1400 from a beef expo. i'd like a set to put underneath my squeeze chute.

I can see where a scales would pay for itself quickly if you were moving very many calves. Around here most stockyards grade per 100 weight so the closer you can get an animal to the top weight of their grade the more money you make.

M.Magis":2wkhbrs4 said:
I'm pretty sure Gus is right though, the 1000 lbs would include the platform. May want to check with them to be certain. It might be worth the extra $150 for the 2200 lb model. You know as soon as you start weighting calves, you're going to want to weigh everything. :D

I asked about the platform im going off of what was told to me however I will see when it gets here. Na only care to weigh calves. If the platform adds the weight on I will send it back but lets say it always said 200 if I put a calf on and says 700 im still good. The biggest weight issue came from the barn calves I bought at the beginning of winter and sold with mine. I calculated gain per day but when we started getting those snows I think they went backwards. I will reevaluate what kind of feed to put those barn calves on over the winter and I guess I will now start testing my hay. Lesson learned so im trying to prevent another big surprise. I also am going to start implanting barn calves. will also help gain a better understanding of what my feed/pasture is making them gain per day so I can adjust accordingly

sky i think you need to get a set of cattle scales.now you do know any scales you get wont be 100% right unless you have them calabrated.

bigbull338":3przaa2h said:
sky i think you need to get a set of cattle scales.now you do know any scales you get wont be 100% right unless you have them calabrated.

Yep I do know that.

Latest posts