lesions on bottom of stomach

Help Support CattleToday:

beehunter

Reaction score
I noticed a bit of bright red blood on the underside of a 4 yr-old bred cow (weather just now turning to spring). upon closer inspection there were a series of 6 lesions following the midpoint of her lower stomach along a line 18 in long up including her navel. I presume they are some sort of ruptured parasite/worm but can find no info on larvae migrating to that site. She exhibited a bit of mange 6 weeks ago (loss of hair on top of back) and received a dose of pour-on Eprinex 30 days ago. Any ideas of what is happening and treatment?

Is it possible she was rubbing her belly on something and scraped it? Or stepped over something and took some hide off? Combination of mange and stretching belly could make it itch. Have seen mine rub their belly over fallen trees in the pasture. May have rubbed it raw.... or scraped it off?

Anyhow ~ the reason I think of this is I jumped my horse over fallen tree once ~ way too high for him to clear :oops: . He came away from it with strip of hide missing from his belly in a line such as you describe. I am not inferring she jumped something, maybe just tried to step over for some reason....... Just a thought.

Thanks for your replies.

Re: our location = Indiana. Winter tones down in Feb, with only occasional freezing in March; now we're consistently 50+ during day and 40+ at night - but still early for flies to be in air. But I would guess it's prime time for larval activity.

Re: scratching - the cow is losing her winter coat, so I've seen her rub occasionally on fences. I suppose there are a couple spots where she could straddle a rock or tree and rub on the bottom of her stomach, but the spots seem more like individual lesions rather than a continuous scratch.

Her overall body condition is good for late winter. No loss of appetite or signs of any other trouble.

yeah, I'm thinking that this is a non issue. Keep an eye on, but I would not be concerned enough to mess with it at this point based on what you have said.
Good luck!

Latest posts