Legs

Help Support CattleToday:

Lomac

Reaction score
I showed steers in 4-H from a youngin till I was 18. My daughter just got her first calf. When I was in in we set our steers feet up square. I notice looking around the internet that the rear legs are staggered. Is this the norm everywhere? Does one leg get pulled in rather than the other (left or right). Thanks for the info, alot has seemed to changed from 20 years ago.

On the profile, the leg opposite the judge (left side of the animal) is slightly forward. Set them up square and then with the left rear slightly forward, you will see the difference in the way the animal looks from the judge's view. We still square them up at the side by side line-up.

Ok so when they are lined up on outside of the ring (nose to tail) the left side leg is pulled in slightly and when they line up side by side in the middle of the ring square the legs up. Thank you, appreciate the info.

For profile the back legs are off, the animals back left leg is pulled forward and the other is to be square under the animal. The front legs are to be just straight underneath them. When looking at the cattle's rumps all 4 legs should be square underneath them.

Latest posts