Setting legs

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I haven't shown for year's, however we have always raised some show stock. My neice is going to be showing 2 of our steers and 1 heifer for the first time. Are they showing heifers AND steers with one leg forward and one leg back a bit, or is this just on heifers? Are market steers still standing square?? AWWW please help freshen me up as I have to teach my neice what to do!! Give me all the good, bad, and ugly comments...I can handle it...I'm a big girl (not litteraly)...lol :lol2:

when you set ANY calf up in line you do them all the same way. if they're standing side by side down the middle of the ring you set them up square. but when they're lined up head to tail you set the front 2 legs square and your side back foot needs to be pulled up some. if the judge sneeks around behind your calf push that leg back immediatly.

hope i could help!

Grandchaser is correct, but when profiling the calf you don't need to move the foot back to square them up. If the judge comes to look at the calf from the back side he is looking at the top of the calf. Plus chances are if you go to reset the legs the calf is going to want to move. By off setting the rear legs it gives the appearance of a squarer hip.

A key point in setting up the animal is that good is OK they do not need to be perfect, too many times you see the exhibitor trying to get the legs perfect, at some point the animal will get tired of the whole affair and start moving around and fighting them. If the hoof is just slightly out of place but the animal is square, be happy and leave it be.

Watch the other exhibitors and see what they are doing, each judge has their own preferences; some of the more seasoned exhibitors might know what that particular judge likes.

Good luck and keep it fun.

Latest posts