hate clipping legs

Help Support CattleToday:

glover36

Reaction score
my brother clipped 2 of our three 4-h dairy heifers got a hoof right in the fac lol so i got stuck doing the last one oooo man lol

I know what you mean. I was stuck doing a crazy angus calf at Fort Worth this past year. It was loads of fun.

Catching a hoof on the cheek isn't half as bad getting the hoof and the sheephead blades right in the forehead. I was slick shear some Angus calves for the summer and got half of a bevelled comb right in the forehead. Funny thing is I fell over backwards, almost blacked out, and reached up to find my face covered in blood while my buddy was talking on his phone on the other end of the barn and didn't even see it happen.

I've seen things like that and a lot worse working around the barns and fitting.

J.R.":24zungge said:
Catching a hoof on the cheek isn't half as bad getting the hoof and the sheephead blades right in the forehead. I was slick shear some Angus calves for the summer and got half of a bevelled comb right in the forehead. Funny thing is I fell over backwards, almost blacked out, and reached up to find my face covered in blood while my buddy was talking on his phone on the other end of the barn and didn't even see it happen.

That sounds pretty terrible. But its not half as bad as getting kicked in the business. Still dont know how that heifer reached out that far and sideways.

But I have not ever been kicked in the head, should have been plenty of times. Caught a loose calf last fall at a show, picked up the lead dragging between the back legs. Once I grabbed it and had ahold of it and turned around, should have seen the looks on everyones faces. They couldnt believe i would just reach right down there and grab the lead, and once i did they couldnt believe i didnt get clocked right in the head.

Ryan said:
That sounds pretty terrible. But its not half as bad as getting kicked in the business. Still dont know how that heifer reached out that far and sideways.

Its amazing whattheyll do to get ya where it hurts, isnt it?? I swear, the brothers steer did it at the whole show.... good thing there was an abundance of ice. lol.

I caught one a couple of years ago while I was clipping back legs. Stupid Chi bull I was working on for someone kicked up, hit the sheephead and sent it into my lip. One of the reasons I now have a goatee, to cover up the scar.

You should buy an immobilizer. They work great for clipping and branding work. They keep the animal as still as you could imagine (as long as you don't set it too high).

I don't have the site or number handy, but I am sure that someone on here has that info.

greatgerts":2yy34jpg said:
You should buy an immobilizer. They work great for clipping and branding work. They keep the animal as still as you could imagine (as long as you don't set it too high).

I don't have the site or number handy, but I am sure that someone on here has that info.

Yeah, I'd like to see you at a show with a probe stuck up the calfs butt. :roll:

Latest posts