Leaving the cattle biz..

Help Support CattleToday:

You guys ever heard the song "Cows Around" by Corb Lund? I think it pretty much sums it up for most guys in the business.

We're trying to take advantage of the lower prices by buying. It also is easier to be picky when the prices aren't so bad.

There is a 12 step program to get out of the cattle business. If you ever get to step 12 you will find yourself living in a condo in some big city.

Every time I think about getting out of the business I go to the sale yard and raise my hand to admit that I am a cowaholic. The auctioneer tells me when to put my hand down.....

JSCATTLE":38bqgohm said:
Nows not the time to sell out . It's getting time to expand .. sell out when prices are high buyou back in when they are low ..most folks do it the opposite aND wonder why they don't make money
And then when prices are high again we say, "are you crazy I'm not getting out when I'm finally making money" :lol2:

Lazy M":28as3xa4 said:
JSCATTLE":28as3xa4 said:
Nows not the time to sell out . It's getting time to expand .. sell out when prices are high buyou back in when they are low ..most folks do it the opposite aND wonder why they don't make money
And then when prices are high again we say, "are you crazy I'm not getting out when I'm finally making money" :lol2:

:lol2: :lol2: That's what tickled me so when I was selling down. All the folks that came by wanting to kick tires and buy the cattle I was planning to sell and they would inevitably tell me they were getting in because there was so much money in it. I imagine over half of these people have since sold out. The good thing for them is they shouldn't have had any calving problems because most of the ones I sold were well experienced at calving. :nod:

melking":4p3h9zm5 said:
inyati13":4p3h9zm5 said:
Brother, remember our beautiful mother, with the eyes dark as coal and hair black as a crow wing. She told us to follow our heart. I have never forgotten her words. She looked at me and said, "My dear scrawny half breed son, thank the spirits that you have a strong mind because you have little else. Go out into the world and seek knowledge. Use it to provide a good hide over your head and plenty of bison fat to fill your belly. But son, I warn you sternly, do not become like your white father, Tennessee Tuxedo. Do not let money rule your life. Your life will pass like the sun through the sky. Like the damsel fly, here today gone tomorrow. Do what you love for time is short."

So glad to see you again Inyati!

Thank you so much. Always enjoy hearing from a Gentleman of the British Class.