Leaving the bull with the herd

Help Support CattleToday:

CG1

Reaction score
We leave our bull with the herd and let breeding happen when it happens. Most of our cows have calved every 12 or so months with this and we have had no issues. I have one cow, she's 6, she breeds immediately. Her last year calf is just about 9 months and 2 days ago she had another calf. She has done that 4 times in a row. (I took her calf off of her at 5months old so she did have a 4 month break from nursing). She is now all over the bull again today. Its hard for me to separate them at my property but if I leave her she will get pregnant again id assume. Is this ok to do? Does the girl need a break or is it ok to let nature take its course?

some are just fertile. Its considered a good trait. You just need to remember to pull her calves at 6 months or so. Three months off is enough for younger cows that are healthy.

bird dog said:
some are just fertile. Its considered a good trait. You just need to remember to pull her calves at 6 months or so. Three months off is enough for younger cows that are healthy.

That's the operative phrase! One of my girls was spittin' out 2 a year and it was wearing her down. When I decided to go back to spring calving only I didn't cull her and gave her a 6 month "break" before turning out the bulls, subsequently getting bred again. She turned 10 this year, was one of the first to calve and I'm soooo keeping her heifer.

TCRanch said:
bird dog said:

That's the operative phrase! One of my girls was spittin' out 2 a year and it was wearing her down. When I decided to go back to spring calving only I didn't cull her and gave her a 6 month "break" before turning out the bulls, subsequently getting bred again. She turned 10 this year, was one of the first to calve and I'm soooo keeping her heifer.

The crappy thing about my crazy fertile cow is she is the ugliest cow I've ever owned haha. She is also small (mini breed). But I keep her because she is so fertile and so easy. Never had a vet bill or any inconveniences with her!

Her calf this year looks to have longer legs than her at birth haha. We called this little calf "blondie".

cowgal604 said:
TCRanch said:
bird dog said:

The crappy thing about my crazy fertile cow is she is the ugliest cow I've ever owned haha. She is also small (mini breed). But I keep her because she is so fertile and so easy. Never had a vet bill or any inconveniences with her!

Her calf this year looks to have longer legs than her at birth haha. We called this little calf "blondie".

Don't discount ugly!! My Erma was butt ugly! I'm talking short, fat, nappy coat, small ears, eyes always looked bloodshot and she was an Angus/Hereford with splotches - not pretty markings. Woof!!! But I'll be darned if she didn't breed like clockwork, raised surprisingly pretty & large calves (kept all her heifers), one of my best cows and just the sweetest thing. Still miss her!

Your girl is a money maker - not crappy at all ;-)

are you sure that's not a foal?

If she's breeding back, I guess she's ready.. though if she breeds back early this time around the weather might be pretty ugly when she has a calf.. up to you on what you think of that!

Nesikep said:
are you sure that's not a foal?

If she's breeding back, I guess she's ready.. though if she breeds back early this time around the weather might be pretty ugly when she has a calf.. up to you on what you think of that!

Runs like a foal too haha. I've had some real long legged calves! Assume it must be coming from my bull.

Question for those of you that leave the bull with the herd year around.
How do you prevent heifers getting bred too young? I remove the bull after only two months, so the oldest heifers should be under 5 months, but I've still had the occasional mishap. I give lute after weaning, but last year we still had a heifer that was not quite 13 months old have a calf. I would think there would be problems with dystocia in young heifers, when bulls are with the cows year around. We got real lucky last year, but that is not usually the case. Losing the calf and the cow, or an expensive C section is likely.

cowgal604 said:
TCRanch said:
bird dog said:

Awe stop it I like her!!! She isn't ugly.

Katpau said:
How do you prevent heifers getting bred too young? I remove the bull after only two months, so the oldest heifers should be under 5 months, but I've still had the occasional mishap. I give lute after weaning, but last year we still had a heifer that was not quite 13 months old have a calf. I would think there would be problems with dystocia in young heifers, when bulls are with the cows year around. We got real lucky last year, but that is not usually the case. Losing the calf and the cow, or an expensive C section is likely.
This! If I recall, both our oops babies were right around the same time. And yes, I pull the bulls a good 6 weeks prior to weaning and every heifer gets a shot of Lute. My heifer didn't breed back so I held her with the aforementioned cow that was giving me 2 calves a year (and ironically the heifer's mama) and she had a big bull calf this year, calved towards the first of spring calving so she's back on track.

Not a fan of leaving the bull year 'round or unplanned pregnancies. ;-)

Katpau said:

I move my calves, all of them, at 6 months. I've never had it happen but that being said my experience is very limited. I've yet to have a heifer reach sexual maturity before 12 months+ (According to my vet checks when I did keep heifers)

Katpau said:

That's a breed thing. Cattle with Brahman influence wont breed that early so you dont have to worry about that.

Katpau said:

We used to sell all calves at 8-10 months as vealers so weren't too worried. Any replacements were removed with dams at four months into a seperate paddock from main herd so we could develop them. We only ever once had a four month old get in calf but she calved unassisted anyway.

what does the lute cost you?

I got the vet to do one of my calves last month after she went through three fences to find a bull, first time I've ever had to do that. Bill for $NZ40, 30 for the drug 10 for the vet sticking it in her, he was already on the farm to do vaccinations.
Makes me wonder about people who do all their heifers, we can hardly sell them for more than the cost of raising them here $40 is enough to wash out any chance of a profit entirely.

I purchased 100 ml of Lutalyse for $49.63 a few weeks ago. That works out to about $2.50 per heifer. We sell most heifers along with the steer calves at about 7-8 months. I only lute the replacements.

If my calculations are correct $40 New Zealand = $24 US.

Is Lute a one shot deal? If it's as affordable as a few dollars a head I will be giving it to my replacements this fall. I've had oops babies every year for a long time and I'm tired of it.

Yep one shot of 5ml does the job if they're only a few months along. You see a small discharge a few days later. I worked it out at about $3 a shot. Can store a bottle in animal drug fridge a fair while but women shouldn't use it. Very easy to do yourself, they don't even feel it if you get them in the right spot. When we had a few to do we used one of those guns with the needle on end of tube. Once primed it injects set dosage with each shot and you can get through a lot of animals quickly.

Latest posts