Leaving now

Help Support CattleToday:

Our Tarentaise calves have weighed right at 645 out of 1225 pound cows for the last 8 years. Have beat the Gelbvieh and the Simmental calves and produced less cow size in the end.

The only thing unique about the Tarentaise growth curve is that they are done growing sooner. They are curvebenders. The Tarentaise will be bigger then the Gelbvieh and Simmentals when calving with their first calf, so you think they'll be bigger cows. But then by the second calf, the Simmentals and Gelbviehs are bigger because they keep growing.

That is an average example of a Tarentaise bull. He's a dud in my opinion. Long hair, no crest, he's not changing color like they should, and he's narrow. Look how close his feet are together. The bottom of his sac should be black by now.

mtnman

I usually agree with not throwing grain at developing bulls; but that calf looks much younger than he is and is not near as heavy as he needs to be. It could just be the hay or this year's forage; but I would probably go ahead and throw in the towell and start supplementing him ~6 lbs a day between now and the fourth of July and forget about using him before this fall.

mtnman, I have to ask, what the @&#^ has long hair or his nut sac turning black have to do with his quality or potential as a bull? I've never heard of anyone looking for the bottom of a bull's balls to turn color. Just curious. :?:

I think the breeder has given you the wrong date of birth. It will be interesting to see what the papers say when you get them. Mistakes happen.

kiku_fs- You have been inundated with advice and criticism relating to your bull, and your choice OF bulls, BUT, whether anybody else likes him or not - you HAVE him, and NOW is the time to make the absolute most of your opportunity to capitalize on what you have, and take advantage of your positive assets. He must receive the optimum in feed and care, and MANAGEMENT.

667 CR 4711
Sulphur Springs, TX 75482
(903) 885-7997

e-mail - [email protected]

Ask him where you can acquire his article on "Feeding and Management of Newly Purchased Herd Bulls". This is an article which appeared in CattleToday some months ago (I can't tell you the date) and it will stand you in good stead with your Bull. NOW is the time to really prepare for the next several years in your cattle development program. NOW!

DOC HARRIS

p.s. DO IT - - NOW! TODAY!

kiku_fs":2fowstie said:
fireball.jpg

This is our new herd bull, we call him Fireball.
He is a Purebred Tarentaise, he will be a year old on april 15.
We are still waiting on his papers.

So what do ya think?
When did you get him to your place.

DOC HARRIS":3pennn10 said:
kiku_fs- You have been inundated with advice and criticism relating to your bull, and your choice OF bulls, BUT, whether anybody else likes him or not - you HAVE him, and NOW is the time to make the absolute most of your opportunity to capitalize on what you have, and take advantage of your positive assets. He must receive the optimum in feed and care, and MANAGEMENT.

667 CR 4711
Sulphur Springs, TX 75482
(903) 885-7997

e-mail - [email protected]

Ask him where you can acquire his article on "Feeding and Management of Newly Purchased Herd Bulls". This is an article which appeared in CattleToday some months ago (I can't tell you the date) and it will stand you in good stead with your Bull. NOW is the time to really prepare for the next several years in your cattle development program. NOW!

DOC HARRIS

p.s. DO IT - - NOW! TODAY!

Good advice as usual Doc.

I think the breeder must have got his/her dates crossed.

Getting him to develop running with those cows will be a chore. Find him another field or a roomy pen for him to focus on growing up. If you are going to turn a bull loose with the cows 12 months out of the year with no grain, it usually pays to buy a 2 year old who already has most of his growing behind him.

Are tarantaise usually that leathery too, you can't see it in the first picture but you can in the second

Also he does not look in bad shape for no additional supplements so I still think he is a little small maybe good for heifers but you may not gain anything breeding him to cows

Well, you seem VERY defensive. Don't ask for an opinion if you're not thick hided enough to appeciate the answers.
There have been some sound advice here.
He is too young/small for his supposedly coming yearling age.
If you expect him to breed anything this spring, he needs to be seperated and FED.
As far as looks, he is too dirty fronted, too high in the flank, and just not enough of him - whether due to age, maturity, feed, or combination of all - or just not quality.
As others have said, if you are running a grass/hay fed operation, you need cattle that will GROW on grass/hay.
But, this is what you own, so you need to help him mature/grow enough to breed your cattle, and that means seperating him & feeding him a supplement. We've got to make due with what we've got - or ship him & buy something ready to breed.

I don't know why he is getting defensive either Jean. He has only had him a month. It is obvious that where the bull was hurt was on the breeder's place (too many head? poor hay crop? drought? competition from the other bulls? who knows?). Since the bull is ~200 pounds behind (~90 days) from where he really needs to be, he needs a bull pen with green grass, unlimited hay, and daily grain supplement for a few months. The disadvantage of buying a liteweight bull calf is that you have to pay to develop him yourself. Of course the big advantage is that you get to manage his development yourself. That is a little bit of a double edged sword. This may be a really good bull. There is just not enough of him here yet to really judge and unless he gets some groceries into him soon we may never know.

:roll: :???: There are NONE so blind as those who look - but refuse to see - or -NONE so deaf as those who listen - but refuse to hear!

DOC HARRIS

There now, those pictures are much better.

He's a pretty nice bull, but still longer legged and lower capacity than I like in a Tarentaise bull.

I am like others, I wonder if he is younger than the pictures tell.

Why the hair and the coloring?

The hair indicates he might be younger than reported given his "look".

The coloring is a measure of sexual maturity in the breed. Masculine bulls will be deveopling a crest and color nice and early.

mtnman

Latest posts