Leaving now

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana":32iryoiu said:
Tod Dague":32iryoiu said:
What does he weigh? It is probably the camera angle but he looks younger.

I agree, he looks like a calf, not a yearling. We have a June 10 bull calf here that looks older.
Agreement from here too. He looks like a 6 mo old calf at best, not a soon to be yrlg.

kiku_fs":1oqbudq5 said:
fireball.jpg

This is our new herd bull, we call him Fireball.
He is a Purebred Tarentaise, he will be a year old on april 15.
We are still waiting on his papers.

So what do ya think?

I do not believe the age of this bull calf.

He is certainly a pretty thing though.

I believe he may have a bit too much daylight under him for my liking.

I can make a lot of additional comments - but to be fair I would like a side profile shot - with the picture taken fairly low. I want him looking straight ahead with the near leg back a little bit. Let his head be slightly up.

I want a pic from the front with the camera at the same height as the first pic.

I want a pic from the back - taken with no telephoto lense - from a distance of about 15 feet - or whatever it takes to get his entire rear end in the pic. Please ensure all pics include his feet.

In all cases I do NOT want any "look down" angles.

Give me them and I will tell you what I think.

Regards

Bez!

kiku_fs, I've seen alot of Tarentaise cattle. He looks real good to me. Tarentaise bulls many times don't look real mature or filled out until after they're 18 months. His basic structure is certainly there - straight top, nice head, and you can see that he's got some muscle and loin to him already.

Have to agree with Bez, more pics would be interesting.

I have to agree 840 for a yearling weight is small it should at least be 1000 or even more

I don't know a thing about Tarentaise are they small framed cattle? What is his hip height?

shutskytj":2ahjmgea said:
I have to agree 840 for a yearling weight is small it should at least be 1000 or even more

Haven't messed with the breed but if that is the growth rate for a grass fed calf, I know I don't want any.
I sell by the pound that kinda of growth rate cow cost can't do anything but go up.

If you're happy with him, that's all that matters. I know what the breeders is saying about Tarentaise slowing down. I don't think I'd call it that, but I know what he's saying. I've seen some Tarentaise yearlings look just like him, kinda green, little pinched in the heart, flat-muscled, but as they develop in their 2nd and 3rd years, it's incredible the transformation they go through. They certainly have their own growth curve. Maybe as Caustic said, that's not great for some operations. I surely wouldn't try purebred Tarentaise cattle in a program that markets the calves right off the cow. They certainly are suitable to grass-based operations if you're retaining ownership through to the consumer.

For me, the biggest benefit to Tarentaise cattle is the awesome udders, late milk production, and great mothering instincts, as a crossbred brood cow. They've worked great when crossed with Angus, Hereford, Shorthorn, Galloway and Simmental.

kiku_fs":17vbvyqw said:
Caustic Burno":17vbvyqw said:
shutskytj":17vbvyqw said:

Haven't messed with the breed but if that is the growth rate for a grass fed calf, I know I don't want any.
I sell by the pound that kinda of growth rate cow cost can't do anything but go up.
The breeder we bought him from, Seven Lakes Tarentaise, said that Tarentaise Cattle went through a stage, right about the yearling age, were their growth slows down. But he has gained a few pounds sence I took these pics. And also when we were at the breeder's farm he had some 2 years olds, and they looked like they weighted as much as one of his black angus bulls, which the black angus is about 3 or 4 years old. So i'm not to worried about his size right now.

By all means if you like you keep him. I am in the business to make money off cattle I don't need anything that slows down.

Thats the opposite direction the beef industry has been headed since inception. Slow growth rate bulls produce slow growth calfs thats a killer sorry it just fact.

That boy IMO is not ready to go to work a yearling bull weighing less than a 1000 pounds is not the type genetics you want in a commercial operation.

Son the growth rate on that bull is 2.3 pounds a day which is low. That puts him at 609 pounds at 265 days here again in my opinon at 265 days he should be 750 to 800 pounds.
If you like that breed you need to start researching for better producers. Or start thinking like Angus Hereford Char.

Latest posts